Difficulties Walking My Dog

swans05

Hi Guys,

I have 3/4 Labrador, 1/4 Chow Chow Black dog named Molly.

She's not quite the size of a lab, probably 1" shorter and doesn't have the big gut they have either but so a greyhound barrell chest type where she thins out as you go down towards her tail.

Yes she does have the chow chow gum spots.

In the last couple of weeks I have had trouble walking her.

She knows as soon as I put on my shoes, grab the football and then the leash that we're off and like all dogs she'll jump around like a moron all excited. Once out the door she runs off as usual excited to be out.

Usually she would just walk around sniffing everything in site all the way to the MCG and back again with no problems but lately we've got no more than 50om away from the house and she refuses to walk any further even if I try and force her by pulling on the leash (she usually walks free with the leash still attached).

She doesn't seem sick or injured...she still eats like a pig and jumps around when you let her inside etc but she did have some gastro about 2 weeks ago which cleared up after 2 days.

What should I do? I don't mind the odd walk myself when the sun is out...

Thanks

Hi..

you may need to do some detective work :(

has she been scared ?

Is there a new dog around?

Is there building or roadworks happening?

Is the footpath that black stuff which gets HOT?

Could a car have scared her?

Has she been vet checked just to make sure she' ok?

Des she race around at home still?

Do you have any pics? She sounds interesting :rofl:

and this

""(she usually walks free with the leash still attached).""

is NOT a good idea at all :p If another dog came, or she got badly scared and took off....please buy a long lead if you want her to have more freedom ...that way she can enjoy the walk, BUT you will still be in control.

Edited by persephone

My Stevie (half Lab, half Golden Retriever) doesn't like walking much until very late evening. Being a black dog, she seems to feel the heat really badly. If there's sunshine, even if it doesn't seem really hot to me, she'll dodge from tree to tree and shady spot to shady spot, and not want to continue into a long stretch of sunshine. So we walk either very early (not often!) or very late.

How old is your dog/ pup?

500m might be enough of a walk if <12 months old.

Long walks can = "overexercising". Most breeders believe overexercising is bad for the joints of medium-large size growing pups.

A short walk is still great for your dog- lots of sights, smells etc. so both brain and body get some exercise.

My Stevie (half Lab, half Golden Retriever) doesn't like walking much until very late evening. Being a black dog, she seems to feel the heat really badly. If there's sunshine, even if it doesn't seem really hot to me, she'll dodge from tree to tree and shady spot to shady spot, and not want to continue into a long stretch of sunshine. So we walk either very early (not often!) or very late.

Yes I have black dogs and they overheat very easily, if the temperature is in the 20's, the sun's shining and there's a bit of humidity they don't want to do much of anything, let alone go for a long walk. High humidity knocks them around badly. Try walking her either early in the morning or in the evening after the sun's gone down.

And I agree with persephone, keep your dog on the leash.