Should Shelties Be Clipped

no they shouldnt... but hey - you can clip anything if you really wanted to :p a lady at our dog club used to have shelties that she clipped occasionally... im sure they would love it - much cooler without the coat... but they would look funny!

You can use thinning scissors on the thicker areas if you want to make brushing them a bit easier...

A sheltie that I walk twice weekly has now been clipped and boy didn't I feel embarassed for her :thumbsup: not only did she look naked - It didnt do much for her current apperance :rofl: Saying that she handled her walk well and definately was more socialable and playful - however I will very be interested on how her coat grows back ......

Guest Amy Rose

At my work we clip one sheltie. He's about 10 years old now and is sick. In cases like that I think it's fair, but there is no way I'd clip a young and/or healthy double coat!

A few weeks ago a lady came in with her Pyrenean Mountain Dog that she'd half-clipped off! I felt sorry for her, she'd not only blunted all her blades, but also broke her clipper! :thumbsup: One of the other girls finished the job. Did I mention how much I love Pyreneans? If only I had my own house...

it is also good if you can train him to enjoy (or at least put up with!) being brushed - makes it easier on both of you - then it is more likely to happen more often! Have him lie on his side and just do a little bit of brushing where you know you wont upset him - then say OK and let him get up and give him treats or play a game etc - you want to be able to build this up so that he will eventually lie still and be brushed until you release him!

I have used the thinning scissors on the thick hair behind Lana's legs - makes it much easier to brush. If you leave the first layer and just thin under that then you dont even see that you have done anything... it looks pretty normal with the thinning scissors anyway.

I've seen a couple of rough collies that have been clipped over the years - and whilst it does make them look like overgrown pups at the time :thumbsup: I haven't seen any where there coats grow back normally...they seem to be wavy and not as long as they should be.

My sheltie, Koolie has a huge coat, which I've been gradually stripping in the past 4-5 weeks...I find a brush before a hydrobath and then another brush afterwards seems to get the most out.

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow???