Shedding Hair

chloebear

zoom groom does wonders (from the makers of kongs)

also depending on size of breed hydrobath can be helpful...

we gave up on trying to figure it out...put our dogs outside during the day and deal with having boxer hair EVERYWHERE...after almost 3 years of Humphrey dropping coat everywhere we got used to it

I've used a slicker brush on my sister's short-haired dog and got a fair bit of fur off (had it anyway as I use it on the poodles). He liked the feel of it- slightly scratchy massage :rofl:.

If you get one make sure it's labelled SOFT or they're too harsh.

Look like this:.... post-6819-1195507439_thumb.jpg.

Hydrobath and force dry can help get rid of excess coat, but you need the professional gear.

Regular brushing- boring, but effective.

Don't waste money on bristle-type brushes or cheapies in the supermarket. I learned this the hard way.

I have just bought two different sizes of the furminator - big one for the GSD and a medium one for the cat and they are BRILLIANT!

It is just a brush/comb thingy (kind hard to describe), but you just use it like a brush. The results are great, the shepherd has never looked so good - I am amazed and a little ashamed at how much fur came out. I can't believe after all these years thinking I was doing such a great job of keeping him groomed only to find out I have really been leaving 3/4 of the dead fur on the dog!!

I have seen some posts which suggest it shouldn't be used on a show coat, but I didn't find it cut the coat at all. The cat absolutely loves it as well and she is now so shiny and soooo much less fur on my bed.

You should have a look on ebay as they can be quite expensive. I got mine from Hong Kong at half the price of any I could find here in Oz and the postage was very reasonable (only about $6.50 I think).

I have just used the Furminator on the minnie foxie and got out a heap of fu-about 1/4 shopping bag full.

Excellent! Pepper is a mini-foxie, so it's really good to know that the Furminator works on them! I'm not looking forward to collecting all that hair though!! :rofl:

If you are looking for a small one, Four Paws had the cheapest price I could find: Four Paws - Small Furminator

Pepper sheds like crazy! I have tried a rubber brush, and that seems to help, but only if I do it every day! I have just purchased a Furminator, so will try that and see if it makes any difference.

God I love my poodle :rofl:

I had never considered a furminator because I thought they were designed to get undercoat out on double coated breeds?

Do they definitely work on single coated short haired breeds?

I don't think Kyzer would have 1/4 shopping bag full of hair on his entire boddy :rofl:

Furminators look like a very very fine clipper blade (clipper blad actually does the same thing but without the handle)

Also, this might sound stupid, but a hack saw blade works wonders too. However, I would never use one on a clients dog :rofl:

I find furminators work best on short haired to medium length breeds such as fox terrier, boxers to rottys, labs and heelers.