Rip Sallie

SpikesPuppy

The first weekend in July was supposed to be the best weekend of my life (Buffy the Vampire Slayer convention, where I got to meet my fave actor)- and it was- until Sunday evening.

On Sunday evening, while traveling back to my friend Alison's place on the tram with her and Alana, i was busily thinking about all the fun i had that weekend, and what i was going to post on the Buffy forum, etc. And of course, i was bursting to tell mum about the fantastic time i had. So i ring her up, and I'm all excited when she interrupts to break the news: She was on her way to the Lort Smith Animal Hospital to put our little Maltese X Silky terrier to sleep!!! I, of course, was just devastated. I just broke down and thankfully Alana was there to continue the phone call.

SALLIE'S STORY

Sallie was found in our street on February 25th, 1998, and handed into the local vet clinic, which was on the corner. I was at the vet's after school just to chat (as i often did after school) when we (my 'friend' and i) were invited to the back room to see this little stray. It was a tiny Maltese X, with a full length coat that was so matted that you could not see her skin. It was also greasy and filthy. I wanted to cry and to hurt the person who let her get into this mess. When the groomer was finally able to shear the fur off, there was nothing but bald skin. The skin itself was so filthy, and it was impossible to get rid of the remaining dirt as it was literally UNDER the new layers of skin. The poor dog also had terrible teeth, and just looked pathetic. She weighed under 1.5 kilos.

I was actually on a waiting list for a pure-bred Newfoundland puppy, but could not let this little dog go to the pound- as she was at least 10 years old, and in such shocking condition that a shelter would have put her to sleep rather than try and rehome her. So that night, this tiny little dog, who i christened 'Sallie' for it means 'princess' came home with me. She slept on my pillow next to me, but when i woke up the next morning- she was gone!!! Mum and i looked frantically around my bedroom for her, and after more than half an hour of panic, we found her on my armchair, snuggled under some cushions!!

She was a lovely dog, but incredibly fussy. I've always been like "If you don't like it- you can miss out" with the dogs. They wont starve themselves. But mum felt sorry for her, so would hand feed her constantly. Of course, this made Sallie totally devoted to mum. She was her happy little shadow.

Everywhere in the house mum went- Sallie would follow. Everynight when it was time for bed- Sallie would literally gallop at full-speed down the hallway to mum's room and curl up in her basket!

We certainly gambled when we took Sallie on- being so old and in such shocking condition, we were often warned that she wouldn't live much longer. After spending maybe $2000 on her in the first 6 months (having tumours removed, desexing her, grooming, teeth cleaning, and other things), we had relatively little trouble with her. She just needed her teeth cleaned once or twice a year and that was about it for the past 5 years.

So the 6 and a half years we had with her were amazing and more than we were ever expecting. She was what we called the 'energizer dog' as she never stopped! She was always on the go! Constantly running around.

On Thursday (1st July) she was spinning in happy circles as i was getting my stuff packed into the car to go to Ali's...she thought she was going for a car ride!

Apparently she first got sick on Saturday morning, but mum didn't want to 'ruin my weekend' so she didn't tell me (if it had been one of my animals, she would have told me instantly). Sallie was taken to the Vet's for blood tests and such. But on Sunday, she got worse- she was falling over and having fits all day so mum knew she had to put her out of her suffering.

When i called mum Sunday evening, it was when she was getting ready to take Sallie out one last time. The other dogs were all in the backyard, and i could hear them howling. There was so much pain in their voices. It still amazes me that even though they never appeared to be that close, the remanining 3 dogs were in so much pain and sorrow when Sallie was suffering. I will never forget the sound of Spike's howl, in particular. It was so strong and so sorrowful.

Mum brought Sallie's little body home, and upon my instruction, she let the other dogs, and the cats, sniff her body one by one, each animal reacted differently, but all seemed to know what had happened and were very respectful.

Sallie was so tiny that we buried her in a pot and planted a pretty flower (cant remember what) above her.

I will miss her terribly, and it's also quite difficult getting used to life without her- she was the one who let us know when it was bedtime, wehn it was dinner time and when it was time for the last 'toilet trip' before bed (for the dogs of course lol).

The other animals seem to be coping quite well- though Rascall (who normally lives up to his name and is a royal pain in the butt lol) was so sullen and quiet. He took it really hard at first, but he's now back to his old self.

Sallie's pot is in the front yard, and all the dogs bow their heads as they go past it, to go walkies. It's really amazing.

Thank you for reading my tribute to little Sallie.

RIP Sallie- a much loved member of our family from February 25th, 1998 until July 4th, 2004.

post-19-1090379813.jpg

Edited by SpikesPuppy

*cries*

that was a beautiful tribute. She was a beautiful girl

When I brought my Xander home, the other two cats - Monte and Bubbie - came up and said their good byes. Bubbie licked her brothers head, before crying through the house - her meows echoed through the rooms. :D

*hugs*

:D :cry: Oh poor you and Sallie.

It is so hard when you lose one , your other dogs look at you as is to say" well where are you hiding her?"

we are going through this at the moment. 3.7.2004 our Fergie Baby Lady had to be out to sleep at age 9mths. Our other collie, Maggie, has been looking for her every day and she stares at Fergie's photo on the wall.

Fergie was cremated and her ashes came 'home' today. that was bloody hard to do.Fergie will soon be buried in the RSPCA pet cemetery at pearcedale and she can rest forever.

How lucky was little Sallie to find you and your family. You gave her a chance to be spoiled and loved. It is so hard to say goodbye.

InspectorRex, Fergie will lie beside my 1st Gsd Tara and my gentle golden girl Shandy. They too are at pearcedale.

Run free special friends

Thank you so much everyone for your kind replies and sympathies :D It really helps to just 'let it all out'; even to total strangers.

So sorry to hear about your youngster, InspectorRex. I'm not as sad as I could be about Sallie- what I mean is- the 6+ years we had with her were more than we could have imagined at the start. And she was an old dog- it was going to happen sooner or later. Still heartbreaking and shocking when it happened, but not exactly unexpected. I also know what it's like to lose a young animal- I had the most beautiful, loving and smart GSD X Greyhound bitch, Sasha, who I had to PTS when she was only 18 months or so. It's a long and complicated story, so I wont explain it now, but it was certainly hard. At least she, and your little Fergie and all the other pups are at peace now.

Run free at the 'Bridge, little ones!

Sallie is probably trying to run he show over at the Bridge lol. Hanging off the necks of the insolent young dogs hehe.