Teething Question Baby Tooth Still There

MonSqueek

Luigi has pretty much got all his adult teeth now, but where is big front teeth are (maybe the canines?) his adult one has come through right next to his baby one which doesnt seem to be budging. It is longer then the rest of his teeth too.

Here is a terrible pic off my mobile but it shows the teeth.

Image0064.jpg

The longer one is his baby one and the one next to it is his big boy tooth.

Should I be taking him to the vet for an extraction or leaving it for a while yet to see what happens?

Edited by MonSqueek

Usually they will come out if you wriggle it, play with a tug toy or give a meaty bone

Quite often they won't. Two of my dogs had retained canines. The first dog's top teeth are crooked because I left the baby tooth there too long.

ETA: The "one week overlap" advice was my vet's.

Edited by poodlefan

It doesnt seem wiggly at all.. Ive been trying to wiggle it for a few days now. Its been there for a while, the vet seen it last time he was in there, about early November and she didnt seem to concerned, just told me to keep an eye on it... but its still there and because its longer then his other teeth I worry it might be doing damage or something?

Just when you think it is never going to come out, it usually does :confused: .........I wouldnt worry about it, given him raw chicken wings & things to make him use his teeth, if it hasnt come out by desexing time have it removed then.

To have the tooth extracted how much should that cost ? At this stage we are not planing to desex Luigi untill later in life as we are concidering showing him. Should we decide not to or his papers do not come through (long story) we will desex him sooner.

Im worried about subjecting him to anastheic unnecicarily though.

Ohhhh *worried mumma face*

My Whippet girl, 6 months old, had retained a baby canine which was as solid as a rock and the adult one was right through. She decided to try and rip the mat in the gazebo at a show and the tooth came out so depending on your pup's age I wouldn't give up hope yet as long as the adult tooth is in the right place.

One of our Poms had to have his retained canines taken out. He was about 7 months old and they were starting to make his adult canines grow crooked. We chose to have them removed because the bite is an important part of judging. He now has an almost perfect bite. We have another one who looks like going the same way. They get bones most days and her retained baby teeth are just not budging.

I should have added that the toy breeds are pretty notorious for hanging on to their teeth! Most of my Min Pins had to have baby teeth removed by the Vet. the bigger breeds seem to cope better with just shedding them!

I leased an adult Champion bitch who had both her upper baby canines retained. By the time I sent her home, she'd lost one of them!

I gave her a bit of pigs ear every night and cleaned her teeth (got rid of any junk holding the baby to the adult tooth), I think if she'd stayed longer the second one would have come out of it's own accord too.

I have also seen the retained baby affect the bite, if it's a 'close' one. So you have to watch it carefully.

:):thumbsup: I am waiting for a baby tooth too.............grrrrrr it is hanging by a thread and just won't fall out........I will try a pigs ear maybe.......Leather shoes, mobile phone cables......aircon cord.....etc etc etc.....didn't work....

sheesh she has cost a fortune replacing all the chewed shoes.......Loves my sons - he takes size 14 and they are hard to get apart from being expensive............... :rolleyes: