Ear Problem

Guest Tiggy

Banjo's had a brown discharge in one ear for a week and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and use something like Illium ear drops or check with the Vet. The ear isn't bothering him and it's not red but I have to clean it twice a day or it's gross and it's a bit smelly.

Smell and discharge sounds like infection. The ingredients in the ear cleaner will irritate the canal and it will hurt you dog, he wont likely want to come back for more. Antibiotic drop alone for the first day or two would be better.

Next time you get an ear infection try dropping some swimmers ear drops in and see how it feels. Ouch.

Please take the dog to the vet before his ear becomes worse than it already is. A week is a long time to put up with an infected ear. Some dogs are very stoic and don't show pain.

The vet will take a swab and identify the problem and you'll be given appopriate medication. I certainly wouldn't be putting anything in his ears without a diagnosis, you could do a lot of damage.

I took him to the Vet and she said it was a mild infection maybe an allergy as he's had a contact allergy on his front feet and she noticed the whites of his eyes were a bit red. She gave me Dermotic Ear Drops. She said I did the right thing cleaning his ears twice a day as I probably stopped it from turning into a major infection. Off the subject when I weighed him at the Vet he was 19kg!!! He's already heavier than Sophie.