Bc Bath Advice

Hi All,

I need advice on how to get a highly strung 10m old BC girl to relax and enjoy a hydrobath and brush??

Yes she is mine and yes she has been bathed regularly but still hates even getting a brush.. to put her in a hydrobath I always come out the wettest and to even attampt to use the dryer I take my life into my own hands...LOL

Well no she's not quite that bad but she does the machine gun mouth snapping like crazy at it nomatter how far away I hold it. Problem is I find the dryer after a bath really helps get out the old hair that she doesn't allow me to get as well as my other BC's by brushing. With the constant wet/dry weather we've had with storms and the fact my dogs enjoy running around in the rain too, her hair on her thighs was almost matted because she won't settle to allow me to brush it out properly. I've tried different brushes and always make the mood nice & calm but to no avail...

Any advice??

Hi All,

I need advice on how to get a highly strung 10m old BC girl to relax and enjoy a hydrobath and brush??

Yes she is mine and yes she has been bathed regularly but still hates even getting a brush.. to put her in a hydrobath I always come out the wettest and to even attempt to use the dryer I take my life into my own hands...LOL

Well no she's not quite that bad but she does the machine gun mouth snapping like crazy at it no matter how far away I hold it. Problem is I find the dryer after a bath really helps get out the old hair that she doesn't allow me to get as well as my other BC's by brushing. With the constant wet/dry weather we've had with storms and the fact my dogs enjoy running around in the rain too, her hair on her thighs was almost matted because she won't settle to allow me to brush it out properly. I've tried different brushes and always make the mood nice & calm but to no avail...

Any advice??

Some young puppies are difficult Mason was a cracker he was as Craig called him a slippery squealing piglet !!

Oh we used to dread bath time.

He also hated the dryer used to take two of us to hold him and he would chuck a tantie and carry on.

With time we persevered and suddenly he started to enjoy it now he jumps into the bath and on the table for drying and is on the table for about 1 and a half hours and loves it.

Just persevere and be firm and take no nonsense and all will be fine.

Takes time though.

Mason is an Akita.

Good Luck

Malisa

post-4863-1199184358_thumb.jpg

Mason August 2007

Can you muzzle her? The soft nylon type are cheap and it's not going to be on for long.

I agree with the no-nonsense approach.

If you let her get out of it with her carry-on, she'll do it all the time (because it works!).

Puppies are notorious for trying it on.

Neither of my dogs like a bath, but will be well-behaved.

You will need to be a bit firmer. I would muzzel her to dry her. You will find most dogs wont even attempt to snap as soon as you put a muzzel on, and they tolerate it.

Also brushing, put her on top of the washing machine and tether her to the taps or something, hold your left arm under her belly to make her stand, and start brushing, especially around her pants, making sure you get right between her legs. Dont put up with crap. Some dogs will never like it, but they learn to tollerate it.

I love love love borders and have one myself, but I find they are always difficult to groom (Cooper is very well behaved though) and quite snappy at the best of times. Just dont put up with the crap, and never go into grooming time nervous, she will pick up on this. Also, dont yell or raise your voice if she is mucking about, just stay calm and relaxed and continue until you have finished the job, not when she's finished :(

Edited by BC

Ah yes... the old machine gun snapper :(

I do a few Borders who do this with the dryer, very disconcerting.

If you are going to muzzle her, don't abuse your new found 'power'. Just go slow and be gentle - taking care around her face, or better yet leave the head area and build up to it over the next few baths. When I worked in a salon if a dog was muzzled the groomers were really awful, not stopping to think that just becuase the dog is muzzled and now under control that the dog might still be scared, and of course not ever improve.

I started a few clients dogs the slow way and now they are angels - no muzzle required. :(

Cody was a snapper and I was told by the groomer not to use the dryer on him anymore. She said that it emits a high pitch noise which actually causes a seizure in some dogs. There is a difference between that and just hating it though. Cody used to go mad, high pitch squealing bark, snapping constantly at it, frothed at the mouth- he looked like a wild animal and it was frightening to watch. He used to go funny if there was another dog being dried while he was in the bath. Delta hates the dryer and tries to bite it but she is nothing like he used to be so I am just persisting with her.

Just a warning in case that sounds like what your pup is doing.

ETA: Whether it was true or not, I didn't like seeing my dog like that it was easier to just dry him with the towels and give him a good brush once we got home. As for Delta and Charlie I can tell that they are just p'ed off about the whole thing so tough luck they will just have to get used to it.

Edited by DeltaCharlie

Thanks everyone for your ideas though I don't think muzzling is her best option as she was fear aggressive when she was younger so new things she is still very uncertain about and I think a muzzle would definetely heighten her anxiety level & I agree with Dru won't help overcome it. I think continuing the gentle approach will be best but with a much stronger no nonsense attitude from me like I do with my young mischievous BC boy Beau.

I guess due to her being my troubled child furkid though she has made incredible progress I still tip toe around with her a bit in techniques of doing things. I'm forever looking for ways I can make things that seem to trouble her be obviously no trouble at all so that she can enjoy all the great things in life like my others BC's and feel she hasn't got a care in the world either... but I know, all good things take time.

Heres a snap shot of my girl...

post-12807-1199285945_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluecollie