Poop Question

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

The last two days Noah's poop has been a little mushy. He had one unformed one today, like choc pudding consistency plus a bit of formed one in it. Then just before he had one with a bit of pudding type poo plus clear mucus. The day before he had one unformed one, and one fairly normal one.

He's been crying a LOT when seperated from us on his first few days home so I'm wondering if it's stress related. I haven't changed any of his diet except I gave him chicken necks the day before yesterday.

His appetite is fine, and he's normal in behaviour.

I'm going to the vet this evening but any ideas?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tess32

Yep I did give little meals, but the only change was chicken necks. I guess considering he has cried so much maybe he stressed himself. I'll give him chicken and rice tonight.

If he is not vomiting and has a normal appetite and is drinking save your money... it will pass and this is normal for dogs.

I disagree. It's not a waste of money at all. New puppies should always be taken to the vet after purchase for a full health check.

Diarrhoea can very quickly cause dehydration in a baby puppy.

I don't know if Tess has already done this but if not, a vet consult is the way to go. Take a sample of the poop with you Tess.

Edited by cavNrott

Do make sure puppy is getting lots of liquids. I was adding a fair bit of water to Poppy's meals for the first couple of days until I was happy that she was going to the water bowl by herself.

If you are worried then take Noah today. I am certainly not going to tell you not to. I doubt anyone wants that responsibility if it turns out he is sick.

Sorry that I was flippant in my previous posts.

What have you been feeding him?

Guest Tess32

He loves water so is drinking it well. I also added water to his food anyway.

He has had weetbix for brekky, dry food (optimum puppy) for lunch and as he had runny poop yesterday I just gave him

some beef mince. Day before he had chicken mince, and chicken necks (that was first time) and raw vegies mushed (first time).

Guest Tess32

Yep to the optimum, I just gave him plain weetbix mushed up with water.

I gave him the dry for brekky today as he wasn't too into the weetbix yesterday and he ate it all up quickly.

Guest Tess32

Yes I realise this cavnrott but I cannot change his diet a day after I bring home. He will be on BARF eventually. Sorry to sound ungrateful but if he didn't have runny poo before, it wouldn't have been his pre-me diet.

Or maybe the breeder didn't notice? Us new mums tend to check these things more!

I am not a fan of Optimum. It did give my last puppy runny poos.

I am using Eagle Pack and BARF. Poppy had a totally raw diet previously and adding the EP didn't cause any problems. She seems to have a pretty good tummy though.

try not to wory to much he has had a few changes re his diet; had the breeder introduced him to any off what your now giving him ?i would just stick with the dry kibble if it were me & add a desert spoon of yogurt with aphidoficus to his dry food if he seems lathargic or is voiting as well then its off to the vets imediatly.PS do not give him ows milk some dogs are lactose intolorent ;good luck.

If he is not vomiting and has a normal appetite and is drinking save your money... it will pass and this is normal for dogs.

I disagree. It's not a waste of money at all. New puppies should always be taken to the vet after purchase for a full health check.

Diarrhoea can very quickly cause dehydration in a baby puppy.

I don't know if Tess has already done this but if not, a vet consult is the way to go. Take a sample of the poop with you Tess.

Not sure where on this thread it says the puppy has been with new owner for only 2 days and is therefore about 8-9 weeks old? If the purpose of the visit is a new puppy health check then probably agree, otherwise if its already had a health check I would still wait a day or two more before taking him/her to the vets.

Guest Tess32

He hasn't had a health check, I'm going on sunday. It's been 42 degrees here so I did not want to take him out into a hot car unnecessarily.

Tess, the heat and the stress of relocation could be enough. Even a change of water source upsets some dogs.

If he's taking in plenty of liquids and doesn't have the runs, I'd wait. If he starts scouring, I'd have him to the vet ASAP.