Perfect Recall Training Using Ecollar

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had another success. Bella was barking at someone walking past the house. I called her without using the ecollar and she raced into my study for her treat :thumbsup:

Way to go :thumbsup:

Are you keeping a diary of their (and your!) progress? It's great to read back on!!

We had our 3 in the kennels for a week at Christmas. Even though they didn't wear their collars there, the lady who runs the place - and bred my dogs - has known them for nearly 5 years, said she couldn't believe the massive change in my girl who used to run off and hide when it was time to come in from the yard...

In her words "she actually bloody comes when you call her now" :confused:

I was quite proud :happydance::laugh:

In her words "she actually bloody comes when you call her now" :thumbsup:

I was quite proud :happydance::swear:

:confused::laugh::swear: Lovely breeder...

I had not thought about keeping a diary. Will start one today.

Fantastic how easily this all transfers to good behaviour without a collar in sight :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::confused: Lovely breeder...

I had not thought about keeping a diary. Will start one today.

Fantastic how easily this all transfers to good behaviour without a collar in sight :happydance:

Hmm yes she's rather blunt!!

Every time I picked her up I got the whinge about her running away, not coming, every day the same carry on. I don't think she could believe it when she called the dog to the gate, and the dog actually CAME!! :laugh:

ETA: Good work on the diary... you'll love it when you read back in a few weeks time and see how far you've come!! (I know I do!)

Edited by Meriment

Glad I haven't had to resort to an ecollar for training

It took about 5 minutes to teach Bella on your mat with a clicker :p

and my Daddy can whoop your Daddy....

Only if he is in the grave too

Great response from a professional trainer though

Edited by helen

I made it clear in the topic that this is about training using the ecollar so I would prefer you to start your own topic on your success with the clicker so this topic doesn't get too messy. :p

Good luck

BP

Sorry, but the sentence in your post that read 'if anyone else is doing something similar feel free to post here as well' was misinterpreted by me too in that case. I interpreted that to mean 'is anyone teaching anything using a new or otherwise training tool' I didn't realise you only wanted 'ecollar' related things.

Not that I would dare post an opinion about anything after the flack that helen received.

It is way too easy to misinterpret remarks on forums - remember what is in your mind is not always how the reader sees it.

Why is it such a sin that someone has achieved results without using an e collar and why does that person deserve remarks such as were made - remember it is only YOUR interpretation that sees it as 'oneupmanship' or whatever it was called.

Why can't it just be politely said, 'sorry, this thread is about ecollar training only.' and then just leave it at that?

Hopefully there is room for all opinions and training approaches on this forum. Or have I got that wrong too?

I made it clear in the topic that this is about training using the ecollar so I would prefer you to start your own topic on your success with the clicker so this topic doesn't get too messy. :p

Good luck

BP

Sorry, but the sentence in your post that read 'if anyone else is doing something similar feel free to post here as well' was misinterpreted by me too in that case. I interpreted that to mean 'is anyone teaching anything using a new or otherwise training tool' I didn't realise you only wanted 'ecollar' related things.

Not that I would dare post an opinion about anything after the flack that helen received.

It is way too easy to misinterpret remarks on forums - remember what is in your mind is not always how the reader sees it.

Why is it such a sin that someone has achieved results without using an e collar and why does that person deserve remarks such as were made - remember it is only YOUR interpretation that sees it as 'oneupmanship' or whatever it was called.

Why can't it just be politely said, 'sorry, this thread is about ecollar training only.' and then just leave it at that?

Hopefully there is room for all opinions and training approaches on this forum. Or have I got that wrong too?

I'm sorry you felt I was being rude. I was trying to be polite before my first coffee of the morning :p

I have nothing to do with the remarks about one upmanship. That happened whilst I was sleeping in.

The responses to helens post are part of an ongoing argument between Helen and K9 Force which I have witnessed before. I am staying out of that one altogether. :) ---eta--- Helens responses are clearly talking to K9 Force and not to me.

Edited by BellasPerson

Today's update, Bella is up to the Sit at a Distance (SAAD) on no distraction. Bruno is still on the recall cause he has to come to my left side and we usually walk with him on the right. He's getting a bit confused, poor boy. Should have him up and running by tomorrow.

BP

--eta --poor spelling

Edited by BellasPerson

BP did i get this right? "Costs $50 plus the ecollar which costs a little more than $50."

Wow, i was getting excited about everyone's success with the e-collar then i did research into prices and was shocked into submission (pun intended :p) by the $400 min price tag! I did check out steve's website which was cheaper but still more exxy than you mentioned. How'd you get it so cheap? Or did you skip a zero?

As always im inspired by ecollar success stories- im hoping that maybe they aren't out of my price range.

BP did i get this right? "Costs $50 plus the ecollar which costs a little more than $50."

Wow, i was getting excited about everyone's success with the e-collar then i did research into prices and was shocked into submission (pun intended :p ) by the $400 min price tag! I did check out steve's website which was cheaper but still more exxy than you mentioned. How'd you get it so cheap? Or did you skip a zero?

As always im inspired by ecollar success stories- im hoping that maybe they aren't out of my price range.

No bargains for me unfortunately. They are indeed a great deal more than $50. You'll have to save hard for a while.

I have a two dogtra two dog version which is even more expensive. I think of it as a christmas present for me and the dogs :)

Bruno got his recall this evening :p

I'm sorry you felt I was being rude. I was trying to be polite before my first coffee of the morning :thumbsup:

I have nothing to do with the remarks about one upmanship. That happened whilst I was sleeping in.

The responses to helens post are part of an ongoing argument between Helen and K9 Force which I have witnessed before. I am staying out of that one altogether. :thumbsup: ---eta--- Helens responses are clearly talking to K9 Force and not to me.

Actually Kelpiechick was spot on about my post. I simply made a remark that I haven't had to resort to this training with my dogs (they will come to me when called which was what the post was supposedly about at that point in time).

I made no comment about K9 Force excpect in response to a very unprofessional post - in fact when I had posted the only comment he had made was regarding an anti-bark collar which, in reality, I would love to give as a gift to one of my neighbours whose barking dog is driving me mad - I actually had to go back and read to make sure as I only read the beginning of the post and hadn't even read his post at all, I don't know where the argument is.

Edited by helen

Glad I haven't had to resort to an ecollar for training

It took about 5 minutes to teach Bella on your mat with a clicker :thumbsup:

Helen. I am happy to discuss other methods but your initial post made it seen that ecollars were an end of the line choice. As I said earlier I chose this for a very good reason to enable me to train skills the dogs already knew under hight distraction.

Does your clicker training work under high distraction and, if so, how did you achieve this?

BP

I'm sorry you felt I was being rude. I was trying to be polite before my first coffee of the morning :coffee:

The responses to helens post are part of an ongoing argument between Helen and K9 Force which I have witnessed before. I am staying out of that one altogether. :coffee: ---eta--- Helens responses are clearly talking to K9 Force and not to me.

Actually Kelpiechick was spot on about my post. I simply made a remark that I haven't had to resort to this training with my dogs (they will come to me when called which was what the post was supposedly about at that point in time).

I made no comment about K9 Force excpect in response to a very unprofessional post - in fact when I had posted the only comment he had made was regarding an anti-bark collar which, in reality, I would love to give as a gift to one of my neighbours whose barking dog is driving me mad - I actually had to go back and read to make sure as I only read the beginning of the post and hadn't even read his post at all, I don't know where the argument is.

Yeah and your comments were very immature and condescending and you may as well have written "my dog's better than yours". Not everyone has the luxury of an easy dog who will be trained in "5 minutes".

And what on earth do you mean by "resort" to the ecollar??

K9Force is far from unprofessional, make a stupid comment then you will probably get an answer you dont like.

You know.. I can't believe the crap that comes out in these forums at times.

One person states she is glad she didn't have to resort to an e-collar, and had fast success with a clicker.. Why then were smart remarks given back. I see it as her stating a personal choice and it worked for her.. but to then turn that against her with a smart ass comment is very 'unprofessional'. A person should be congratulated if a method they used worked for them..whether we agree with the method or not.

We all make choices in life. If you don't agree with them thats fine. But to blatantly put someone down for voicing an opinion or choice is in my opinion why so many refuse to go to forums.

I for one do not use clicker training. However if I knew I would get the result I wanted from using that method, over using an e-collar I would. I do use the e-collar when I feel it apropriate, and find it a marvolous tool for refining off lead work, avoidance training (ie; snake proofing, etc). But to turn it into a public personal attack is wrong!

My 2 cents worth!

:coffee:

Good work Bruno!!!! Yay to e-collar!!

:coffee: bugger on the price.

I know, maybe you can sell your car to pay for it........

You can do lots of work on recall without the ecollar. Then if you still have problems you can buy one.

I have my recall pretty good already - just wanted to refine this (as MarkS uses it) and to get them to work under very high distraction levels.

Have fun

BP

One person states she is glad she didn't have to resort to an e-collar, and had fast success with a clicker.. Why then were smart remarks given back. I see it as her stating a personal choice and it worked for her.. but to then turn that against her with a smart ass comment is very 'unprofessional'. A person should be congratulated if a method they used worked for them..whether we agree with the method or not.

We all make choices in life. If you don't agree with them thats fine. But to blatantly put someone down for voicing an opinion or choice is in my opinion why so many refuse to go to forums.

I for one do not use clicker training. However if I knew I would get the result I wanted from using that method, over using an e-collar I would. I do use the e-collar when I feel it apropriate, and find it a marvolous tool for refining off lead work, avoidance training (ie; snake proofing, etc). But to turn it into a public personal attack is wrong!

My 2 cents worth!

:coffee::coffee::laugh: Well said MarkS - I couldn't have said it better myself. It's always interesting to hear the different methods people use. I don't know a lot about the e-collar but it's certainly very interesting in reading the success BP is having. It's also great that the clicker works so well for Helen and I felt that maybe she didn't intend to imply that the e-collar was a bad thing, but just that she was using a clicker and it works for her.

My 2 cents worth!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Well said MarkS - I couldn't have said it better myself. It's always interesting to hear the different methods people use. I don't know a lot about the e-collar but it's certainly very interesting in reading the success BP is having. It's also great that the clicker works so well for Helen and I felt that maybe she didn't intend to imply that the e-collar was a bad thing, but just that she was using a clicker and it works for her.

Sorry i dont see what was so wonderful and enlightening about your post MarkS. I also would like to know why people seem to think using an ecollar is a"resort"....?? it is a brilliant method of communication with a dog and it is much less confusing than many of the other methods people use before making the huge and horrible "resort" to the ecollar. I will be starting all my future dogs off with the ecollar from the word go.

The way the post was written was condescending IMO... "oh it only took me 5 mins to train my dog" such a useless and comment with no substance to it.

Edited by Rachelle

Hi Rachelle,

You have a right to your opinion, just like everyone else that uses this forum. What I am against is blatant personal attacks against someone that voices an opinion. You don't have to agree with her opinion, thats not my objection. My objection is personal attacks or condescending remarks against someone for voicing an opinion. That to me is very immature..

Helen has a right to say 'resort'. You and many others may not like that word, but at least she never attacked anyone.

Resort - 1. to have recourse for use, help, or accomplishing something, often as a final available option or resource
What is so evil about that word?

I am happy you see the use of the e-collar as such a wonderful tool, and I agree with you.

If someone posted on here it only took me 5 mins with a prong collar and didn't need to resort to an e-collar...nothing would be said.. I am sure. But because someone chooses to use clicker training, condescending remarks were made. I myself am not a fan of clicker training for obedience, but I don't put down someone for making that choice.

I choose to educate on why I believe it's not a good training method for all dogs. I do not condem those that choose to use that method. If a method works for a person, I am happy for them. If it doesn't work for them or their dog, I hope with all my heart they seek out an alternative method.

May I ask why you take Helen's remark as a personal attack on you, for using an e-collar? Hasn't she a right to her opinion..right or wrong in others eyes?

Edited by MarkS

Hi BellasPerson,

Thought I'd report in... started on Norman's recall today and he quickly turned into a "velcro dog" :rofl: My new little shadow was hot on my heels... marched right into the toilet with me at one point :rofl: Hmmmm :rofl:

So I think we'll just refresh recall tomorrow then start on sit!

How are your two going?