Anyone In Brisbane Area Interested In Trick Training Classes ..

Redlands Dog Obedience Club is currently running trick training classes on Friday nights at 7pm for all breeds of dogs. If you have never taught tricks or used a clicker etc it's no problem as we will give you the groundwork on those subjects as well as teaching tricks of varying degrees of difficulty depending on what you dog has learnt before.

Classes are $5/night & if you come more than once you will need to join our club for insurance purposes, unless you are a member of another CCCQ affiliated obedience or agility club. Membership in the club is only $15/year 1st July-30th June (+ $5 joining fee the 1st year) pro-rata, so $7.50 + $5 = $12.50 if you join between now & 31st May (if you join after 31st May you get 13 months membership).

Anyway if you would like to come down, the club can be found at Judy Holt Sporting Complex & Oval which is situated at the end of Bailey Rd Birkdale - drive in the driveway & the Obedience club is situated in the small shed on the left hand side on the edge of the oval.

Hope to see some of you down there some time :laugh: .

And how is my "twin" getting on? All geared up for bigger and better things in 2008 I see.

We have trick training incorporated into our canine mans best friend course. People really enjoy it and of course it can lead onto other things like doggy dancing. I am all for anything which is fun and doing tricks with your dog is just the BEST fun.

I have a bucket full of tricks and people put their hand in and get whatever trick they personally have to work on. There have been a few funny combinations: the big guy with the tatts and staffy who pulled out the "Dance" card (mind you he surprised us all by teaching his dog to dance) and the guy with the big shepherd who got "Jump through your arms" and boy was that impressive seeing such a large dog jump through the owner's arms. Then there was the lady with the rotty who got "dead dog" - absolutely horrified "my dog is a guard dog - can't have the intruders just saying bang and my dog falling down". She actually went on to do the best "dead dog" trick I have ever seen. Oh I could go on, there's a million tales in the big city - but I just might leave you to get your own stories. Once you start trick training there will be a million of them.

Variety is the spice of life and my other favourite saying "At the end of my life let me only regret the things I HAVE done!

Noels.

And how is my "twin" getting on? All geared up for bigger and better things in 2008 I see.

We have trick training incorporated into our canine mans best friend course. People really enjoy it and of course it can lead onto other things like doggy dancing. I am all for anything which is fun and doing tricks with your dog is just the BEST fun.

I have a bucket full of tricks and people put their hand in and get whatever trick they personally have to work on. There have been a few funny combinations: the big guy with the tatts and staffy who pulled out the "Dance" card (mind you he surprised us all by teaching his dog to dance) and the guy with the big shepherd who got "Jump through your arms" and boy was that impressive seeing such a large dog jump through the owner's arms. Then there was the lady with the rotty who got "dead dog" - absolutely horrified "my dog is a guard dog - can't have the intruders just saying bang and my dog falling down". She actually went on to do the best "dead dog" trick I have ever seen. Oh I could go on, there's a million tales in the big city - but I just might leave you to get your own stories. Once you start trick training there will be a million of them.

Variety is the spice of life and my other favourite saying "At the end of my life let me only regret the things I HAVE done!

Noels.

Hi Noels :( , as you can see Im getting right back into training & am having a ball doing it :rofl: . :eek: at your stories, especially the one about the rotty, you have to just laugh at some people :rofl: . Interesting about the shepherd jumping through the guys arms, do you remember Levi (standard Poodle) & the big shepherd (can't remember it's name now, the one that could jump on the spot in front of her) from Mary Ray? Both of those can jump through their owners arms too, when you look you think "No way!!" but they manage to fit :eek: . Dagboy has earmarked that as a trick for Ebony :rofl: .

Looking forward to all the fun, I'll post if there are any funny ones that crop up :rofl: . Hope I can catch up with you during the year - I wont be going to Mary again this year but I am planning on doing the 2 days that Steve Davies is there in July :o .

Off Topic

You both should go to Sue Hogben at CT(I think it's in June), you would love it.

It is just a two day weekend one.

Are you going to any this year?

I'll keep the Sue Hogben one in mind as well, but if it comes down to choosing one, from what you've told me Steve Davies sounds like he would suit me perfectly :eek: .

Yep I think you would get more from Steve as you have the same problem as me, lots of drive just the dog doesn't understand that they have to do stuff to get it. :eek: Lights on nobody home when they see that frisbee.

I love Sue though and think she is the best Obedience trainer in Aus, mostly because she can connect with people that train any way, she does it without being judgemental and wins them over with the results. I honestly couldn't pick, If your dog has no drive you might not enjoy Steve or maybe you would because he could show you how important it is......... :(

I will try to go to both, I will have to camp for the Steve one :eek: , Will you do it on a day trip? It's two days.

Yep I think you would get more from Steve as you have the same problem as me, lots of drive just the dog doesn't understand that they have to do stuff to get it. :eek: Lights on nobody home when they see that frisbee.

I love Sue though and think she is the best Obedience trainer in Aus, mostly because she can connect with people that train any way, she does it without being judgemental and wins them over with the results. I honestly couldn't pick, If your dog has no drive you might not enjoy Steve or maybe you would because he could show you how important it is......... :o

I will try to go to both, I will have to camp for the Steve one :eek: , Will you do it on a day trip? It's two days.

Yep, I'll go down each day, not too far for us, if you want you can come stay here & travel up & back with me, heaps of room.

ETA - if you think you can put up staying with our kids that is :( .

Edited by MrsD

Levi, here's the link for Camp Tailwaggers (aka Coolangatta Pet Motel) Camp Tailwaggers . Go to the side bar and you'll find the up coming seminars.

Camp Tailwaggers is where I met the other 3 lovely ladies - hi girls :laugh: . It's a super place, and I would love to be going to something there this year, but it's just soooo far away from me. Too far for a weekend, really. :D And anyway, I've already blown part of my 'seminar budget' doing the 4 day Stacy Peardot-Goudy workshop in Jugiong - money very well spent, and didn't stretch the budget too far, as I piggy-backed it onto the Christmas rellie-visiting trip to the mainland.

MrsD, that tricks class sounds great. And Noels, I love the idea of a trick out of a bucket. Do you mind if I pinch that for my puppy class?

Oh, and by the way, can we have some of our rain back please :D - it's dry as chips here. Not a drop for weeks.

Barb, just remember that they are not allowed to pick a trick they already know how to do. If this happens just put it back and pick another.

Loretta has me putting a routine together for doggy dancing, says I have to do a demo in March. Think I have stagefright. Why did I have to get such a bossy friend? You know me - just a dabbler, not serious, oh dear............

Other thing is tracking, have you tried? Hear there is a good tracking group in Tassie.

Noels.

Hi Noels

You'll be great doing a demo - what's that saying "Just do it"! (I'd love to see a vid of it.)

Yep, there is a good tracking group down here - but only 4 trials a year :laugh: . Both my guys do tracking - had a nice last trial of the year, when both Fergus and Kirra got their TD on the same day - that was a buzz. I learnt that I really have to trust Fergus - and since you guys have met my goofy boy, you know how hard that is :rofl: - but I'm going to do it this year. And I need to convince Kirra that tracking is not the same as agility - it does not have to be performed at warp speed! :(

Thanks for the extra tip about the trick bucket.

Cheers -

Tassie you can gladly have our rain, I swear it has rained at least every other day since August.

Two of my three dogs have blistered pads because their feet are so soft form all the rain..........grrrr.

Good grief, PAX! Well, maybe we don't need all that much rain - but some would be nice. There was a bit in December, but virtually nothing since just before Christmas - 0.2mm so far this month. Forecast for today was rain periods - yeah, right - at least it's been overcast today. Some rain periods are forecast for tomorrow, too, but I'm not holding my breath. My 'lawn' crunches underfoot, and my guys get sore pads from sharp pieces of dry grass! It'll probably rain tomorrow when I'm right in the middle of taking puppy class :laugh: .