Sensitive To Hot Weather?

Guest Tess32

Are puppies generally much more sensitive to hot weather?

Noah will have to stay outside in a run when we are away at work. It has a roof but obviously in hot weather (it's 40 today) it's still quite warm. He seems very sensitive to heat and cries non stop so I had to bring him in as I was concerned he was getting TOO hot.

He had water, a cool bed and a wet towel but nothing seems to make him feel better.

Is there anything else I can do? I can't leave him inside as he's just a pup. The only place I could potentially leave him in very hot weather is the bathroom I suppose. Or maybe the puppy pen but I'm not sure how secure they are for being left unattended?

Would appreciate any help.

The young or the old (animals and humans) tend to be affected more by hot weather. My lad is a destructo-Dally so I can't let him loose in the house either.....on a day like today he is inside with me sleeping quite happily in the air con. Normally when I go out he is left in his open crate in the laundry but even that gets too hot in this weather or that awful NYE night...so I leave him in his soft crate in the lounge room with the air con going and a small bowl of water. He's perfectly happy with this set up. Any chance you could set up some sort of play pen on the cool floor of the kitchen for puppy?

I have a puppy pen and it's tall enough but I don't feel it's secure enough to leave him unattended. The bathroom is probably the only other 'inside' option...it's always cool and he tends to sleep in there anyway.

I swear by my open crate set up in the laundry - Zig happily sleeps in there (most I've left him is about 5 hours when I had an exam) - I leave water, a stuffed kong, a few toys strategically hidden etc. If you could puppy proof the bathroom I think that might work - do you have the freedom to do some "practice" runs or are you heading back to work soon? I always made sure Zig has 2 hours of up and about active time before he goes to the laundry - he goes straight to "bye byes" now :eek:

ETA: Zig was trained to toilet on newspaper when he came to me so I always left some "just in case"

Edited by The Spotted Devil

What about peeing and pooping though? Noah isn't house trained yet totally.

I wish we had the laundry but my rabbit is in there!

Unless I block off the bathroom with the crate....

I just left newspaper out for Ziggy just in case - although he only toileted overnight 3 or 4 times in his first 10 days and that was it. I was fortunate enough to have Uni holidays for another 6 weeks and low contact hours after that. If it's only for the odd day like today, I'd block the door with the crate and lay out newspaper....although if puppy gets bored, he could scratch the walls/chew the door frame like Zig did a bit. I just can't think of any other way to do it as I know Ziggy would struggle outside in this heat.

I would suggest hanging shadecloth down the sides, but out of puppy reach..as sun doesn't just shine straight down ;)if the roof is iron/tin ..the temp will be very high underneath it :) if you can..mount a shade sail over the metal roof....with a gap in between of about 30-40 cm...this will provide a slightly cooler air 'pocket' over the actual roof.

leave him with a large SHALLOW (couple of inches) pan of water to puddle in.... or better yet, a clam shell full of damp clean sand.(under the shade).in which he can dig a hole and enjoy the cool, as water evaporates.

Now..the best trick...

(hopefully you have a chest freezer)

get a few large icecream conatiners or buckets..fill with water and freeze.

empty ice out into shaded part of pen..and let him use that.

Alternatively...freeze 2/3 litre plastic juice bottles about 5/6ths full of water..with lids tightly closed!..place in a pillow case or some sort of STRONG, non fray bag..and place somewhere so he can lie on/alongside them.

We use all the above methods here... it is hot for days on end ....I love seeing baby pups of a couple of weeks ..clambering on to their ice-bricks, and flopping there like multi-coloured polar bears, sound asleep. :))

Edited by persephone

Great ideas there! I've decided until he's a bit older I'll keep him inside in the bathroom with a baby gate across on 38+ degree days, and hopefully get him used to the hot weather gradually. Hopefully those tricks will keep him cool too.