Vomitting And Blood In Stools

Mushaka

Lewis has been vomitting randomly..sometimes jst froth n grass and more recently entire contents of tummy.

This has been happening maybe a little over a week....

I dont monitor poops cause I have so many dogs i wld have to wait till i caught him.

SO...this mornin i had only Lewis locked in,and found that he pooped on my floor...(NIIICE LEWIS)..

but when i went to clean it,there was grass and blood!!

Could the two be connected??

I have sent him off(with my brother) to the vet now for Xrays,stool samples etc but just wondered wat others thoughts were?

Ok...Lewis is approx 6 (rescued and wasnt chipped so just a guess)..

We had him at the vet.. Vet seems to think he just is a "spewy" dog..

stool sample was given the all clear!!

Lewis eats tuna,chicken mince and premium kibble..might have to stick to buyin sensitive tummy kibbles for him..

does anyone else have dogs wth sensitive tummys..and if so what do u feed them??

My Stafford had similar issues, minus the blood, she would have gasto like symptoms every few months. A change over to a BARF diet (yoghurt is great) has stopped it. Also, try some Aloe Vera Juice, its great for lining the stomach. What did the vet suggest you do?

The vet is pro SD ..im not a fan of dry only.I do try to use BARF as much as possible,but always tend to worry about getting enough proteins etc. hence y i use the kibble

I find they get deli belly with too much red meat..

Since Lewis is a staffy also,wld u please tell me PIP exaclty what u feed yours and i will mimic that for a while and see how he goes!

Ok...Lewis is approx 6 (rescued and wasnt chipped so just a guess)..

We had him at the vet.. Vet seems to think he just is a "spewy" dog..

stool sample was given the all clear!!

Lewis eats tuna,chicken mince and premium kibble..might have to stick to buyin sensitive tummy kibbles for him..

does anyone else have dogs wth sensitive tummys..and if so what do u feed them??

My girl used to have bloody stools occasionally and upset tummy quite often. I've tried a few differnt dry foods with similar add ins to yours and find that since we have changed to RC sensitive she has been excellent. Only the very occasional soft stool and no more blood or lovely mucous (sp?) coated ones.

Also - my boys coat is much better since the change as well.

thanx everyone...and YES..his coat is coarse and skin is dry.

we gave him cortesone(sp) injection today and some vet prescribes shampoos and conditioners.

What is the protexin??

All my others have fantastic coats and are doing well,just Lewis and his "issues" ,of which he has many,but hey,he is a staffy and its a job lot...lol

My boy has eosinophilic inflammatory bowel disease which basically means IBD from food intolerances. He cant have beef, veal, pork, chicken, turkey or lamb. His diet consists of (and has done for the last 15 months) roo, carrot, zucchini and plain yogurt. Also gets probiotics (doubled for flare ups) and digestive enzymes to keep his system in check. He does very well on this diet and I can control his IBD without steriods which is the most important thing as far as I'm concerned. He also cant have bones, oil supplements (fish oil) or more than a few mouthfuls of fruit (too much sugar) as it just rips straight through him.

Prior to this his symptoms where vomitting, loose, runny bloody poos and extreme weight loss.

My boy has eosinophilic inflammatory bowel disease which basically means IBD from food intolerances. He cant have beef, veal, pork, chicken, turkey or lamb. His diet consists of (and has done for the last 15 months) roo, carrot, zucchini and plain yogurt. Also gets probiotics (doubled for flare ups) and digestive enzymes to keep his system in check. He does very well on this diet and I can control his IBD without steriods which is the most important thing as far as I'm concerned. He also cant have bones, oil supplements (fish oil) or more than a few mouthfuls of fruit (too much sugar) as it just rips straight through him.

Prior to this his symptoms where vomitting, loose, runny bloody poos and extreme weight loss.

Lewis has NO weight loss...in fact he is a little on the heavy side at the moment..if anything he has put it on recently!!

I am really taking note of all of ur suggestions and will be watching his diet over the coming weeks!!

I am keen to get him right cause i have noticed he is getting a little cranky lately too(with the other dogs)...guess with an upset tummy its understandable!

L&L with those symptoms yes his tummy would be very sore. Dogs stomaches are around their waist so to speak. If they're having flare ups then you can feel - very gently - around the area to check. It will feel very 'squishy' for want of a better description.

First time I felt my boy with a squishy stomach I nearly died - it wasn't even a major flare up compared to what he's had in the past!!!

Your boy probably wouldn't be appreciating rough play from other dogs at the moment, especially if they knock his tummy.

Staffies and skin problems often go hand in hand. If you've got an upset stomach and skin issues, I think you are possbibly looking at food intolerance and a need for some nutritional support.

If there's an holistic vet in your area, I'd be going to see them. Cortisone is not a good long term method of dealing with these things and anything steroidal will contribute to hair loss issues.

Personally, I'd be ditching all kibble (or at least wheat based ones) and going for a raw diet. If you are feeding it correctly, a protein deficiency would be the last of your worries.

Consider adding zinc and a good oil supplement to his diet to help with the skin. A good probiotic would help his tummy and you may want to try a detox diet under the supervision of a holistic vet to help the stomach issues.

Hey

Angus is currently on Cortisone too and aside from being the drinking and peeing machine he also had blood in his stools on the weekend much to my panic!

Vet assured me it was all good and we stopped the cortisone for a day just to give his stomach a break.

Maybe track down Stormie on here as she is experiencing a dog with allergies, cortisone treatment and elimination diet plus she knows her stuff!

Edited by MCM

maybe try him on some live gastro tablets especially if he is on cortisone.

Innerhealth or any of those with live acidophillus (sp??) in it, usually found in the fridge at the chemist or health food store.......yoghurt is good for live cultures but one of these tablets is about the same as 1000 tubs of yoghurt. Start at 1 tablet twice a day (you cant overdose)....

Also consider that he may be a bit acidy......my lab had a acid stomach...he used to eat a lot of grass and I think it was to try and settle his tummy.......I used to give him a 1/4 cup of buttermilk about 15 min after every meal and it settled it down quickly. May be worth a try if he isn't lactose intolerant. Youghurt may work too........