Photo Goofs

Ripley

Because I'm a beginner and therefore can stuff things up the first time I try something before I learn from them, I wonder if anyone else more experienced still has some goofs when taking holiday pics or even prof pics?

My recent goof was metering AFTER I attached my Grad filter and also not ensuring it aligned properly and therefore the foreground was too dark.

I don't have an excuse other than it was a new concept and I was extremely bleary eyed as it was 4.45am.

Doh!

Edited by Ripley

OH god, yes. I personally make goofs all the time - but not the same goofs over and over...at least I learn :D For me, it's part of the process - I like experimenting and trying new things and usually I just wander off and do it without thinking it through or researching the correct way to try it first :laugh:

Most common goof I've seen in the pro circles? Not remembering to change the ISO. Sometimes no biggie but other times can make life a bit difficult!

That's half the fun!

I use to get somethng similar except the dark part would b black and the other part would be normal BUT I was using a flash inside at the time. Found I had to turn the camera off and take out the battery to fix it and take the flash off wipe and put back. Not sure why it happened though - another photographer got the same thing as well using a flash at night (different canon models - yours mine and his).

Is the battery fresh or starting to run down a bit when it happens?

I use to get somethng similar except the dark part would b black and the other part would be normal BUT I was using a flash inside at the time. Found I had to turn the camera off and take out the battery to fix it and take the flash off wipe and put back. Not sure why it happened though - another photographer got the same thing as well using a flash at night (different canon models - yours mine and his).

Is the battery fresh or starting to run down a bit when it happens?

Most of the times it is with a fresh battery. This was taken on the weekend with a freshly charged battery. :confused: It has got me perplexed?? At first I thought maybe I had dwelled too long on the button with my finger but it has happened with other people using it as well.

No idea really.

I usually take the battery out and wipe the battery where it contact the camera and seems to fix. But only happens with flash pics and I dont take them all that often so usually disconnect and wipe those points too but no ide if thats actually the problem or not (or if turning the camera off and pulling the power resets it). That was with the 10D

ONe problem I did have was that in a sequence occasionally the camera would take one shot at a more open aperture (so over exposing the image) the rest of the pics would be fine. Though it was just the 10D and the wear and tear but the other day the 40D did it. Hardly been used and have had to racedays where its happened to one image each time (out of about 250-300 or so). One was in a sequence and once was individual images. No idea why it does it - battery seemed charged enough too.

Edited by rubiton

This might sound like something stupid, but it's not the internal mirror is it?

ETA: I have a 350D and I've never seen anything like that. Have you cleaned your camera yet? Buy a prof cleaning kit, I think they are about $30? My husband cleans my camera for me as he's an engineer and won't let me near the workings of any electronic equipment. :confused::cry:

Edited by Ripley

This might sound like something stupid, but it's not the internal mirror is it?

ETA: I have a 350D and I've never seen anything like that. Have you cleaned your camera yet? Buy a prof cleaning kit, I think they are about $30? My husband cleans my camera for me as he's an engineer and won't let me near the workings of any electronic equipment. :confused::cry:

Nothing is stupid Ripley as I have no ideas??? The 400D has auto sensor cleaning so I don't think I have to do as you have suggested. But then again as I am new to the SLR's I could be very wrong... I may have to phone Canon and speak with them. Could I be so lucky as to have bought a dud??

It looks like maybe corrupted data. Does it happen with all cards or only one? If only one:

Try reformatting your card in your camera. Don't just erase the images, but totally reformat it.

Edited by kja

It looks like maybe corrupted data. Does it happen with all cards or only one? If only one:

Try reformatting your card in your camera. Don't just erase the images, but totally reformat it.

I have only been using the one card and yes I have had the corrupted data message come up on a few images on the screen. These inmages don't save to the computer though??? But having said that I will give it a go kja. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :eek:

Try it and see what happens - it's more likely that you have a bad card than some big camera problem...though that can happen :( Do you have another card you can test things with? What kind of card and where did you get it?

Not saving on the computer is another thing - what does that mean? How did you put it here if you didn't save it to the computer, did you simply upload to this site directly from the card? Hmmm....

Try it and see what happens - it's more likely that you have a bad card than some big camera problem...though that can happen :( Do you have another card you can test things with? What kind of card and where did you get it?

Not saving on the computer is another thing - what does that mean? How did you put it here if you didn't save it to the computer, did you simply upload to this site directly from the card? Hmmm....

Sorry - my bad. The images that show on the camera screen with the words corrupt data do not down load from the camera to the computer but the ones I have posted look normal on the camera screen until you zoom in on them or when you preview them after they have been down loaded onto the computer. Hope that makes sense. Now you mention it I have only used this card with this camera so I will change the card and see what happens. The card is a 2 gb scandisk ultraII. Is is a crapinski one???

Edited by JAG

I accidently wiped most of my Tasmanian holiday shots from Jan 2006 on our computer at home. I was so annoyed as it was a holiday with just my sister and my mother. Fortunately they have a few snaps too but they still have old pocket film cameras. :(

Another goof is at Christmas time. I took my Panasonic pocket digital to our fancy dress work Christmas party which is a huge do. I wondered why the photos came out with a sort of grey mist over them and cursed my camera. Then, a few weeks later while using it again, I had a look at the lens on it and realised it was covered in goo. God knows what, probably make up or alcohol. :laugh:

Edited by Ripley

Have you formatted the card yet? What happens when you do that?

Seemed to format the card ok says I have 1.8gb available for use..

I have to go - dog show so will take some pics over the weekend and see what happens. Thank you for the advice :(

No real goofs here (although I may remember some later) but I seem to have the

habit of getting a sticky lens from puppy licks or nose prints ! Every time I photograph a litter

its like one says "you distract her, I will eat the lens" :(

Good thing I keep filters on my glass!

some times whilst using your camera you can have the shutter set to one setting and the flash set way to fast resulting in the effect of the multi exposures on those images that you were showing. e.g say you have your camera set to iso 100 f8 @ 125 sec...then your flash is firing iso100 F5.6 @ 125 sec even tho its set to the same speed it will be diffrent ..you have to make sure that your flash is set to the same fstop.

because the flash is faster than the shutter it will result in the multi exposures.:(

B

• 5 weeks later...

My biggest goof is to not take the lens cap off, this happens with my Nikon Coolpix 4500 because a lot of the time I don't use the screen, it's a bit small and dark, so if you look through the viewfinder, it doesn't tell you the lens cap is on?

In the olden days, my biggest goof was forgetting to advance the film (with box cameras and some other early styles) and I would end up with double exposures.

Another goof was to set the film ISO to the wrong setting or leave it on the previous setting.

:D