When Did Barf Change?

JulesP

When I got my girl I wanted to feed her a raw diet. Once I started doing a bit of research over the internet, I got so confused as to which one to follow, that I gave up! I'd still love to feed her raw, but I found it so hard to know which way to go, who's books to buy, etc, that I'm not confident enough to do it.

I'm with you missmaddy.

There are too many different varients to the raw meat diet.

Maybe if there was a weekly structure you could follow until you became familiar with it.

I know that would make me feel a bit more confident that i was feeding correctly.

Until then I guess i will just continue with dry and the varied meats and bones they are getting now.

By the way, they certainly appear in good health, good coat shine and muscle development.

I have a 14 week old girl and I'm fairly new to this as well. But I've been doing heaps of reading and from what I can tell this diet is all about making life easy - and it really is! I've only been doing it a few weeks and its no harder than opening a tin!

My average week is:

Day 1 AM: chick mince (in Kong)

Day 1 PM: 1/2 chic frame

Day 2 AM: beef mince (in Kong)

Day 2 PM: turkey neck, 1/2 cup table scraps (ie potato peelings, apple peelings, old brocolli blended up)

Day 3 AM: chick mince (in Kong)

Day 3 PM: 1/2 chic frame

Day 4 AM: sardines in oil

Day 4 PM: turkey neck

Day 5 AM: whole raw egg (uncracked)

Day 5 PM: meaty (not fatty) lamb bones

Day 6 AM: beef mince (in Kong)

Day 6 AM: 1/2 chic frame

Day 7 AM: chick mince (in Kong)

Day 7 PM: 1 chicken drumstick

I am also supplementing with Advance puppy kibble. I will continue to do this whilst she is growing, but expect to not continue as an adult. I will also reduce the twice day feeding and the amount of mince as well - I've detailed below how I think this diet will evolve when she is an adult.

Day 1: whole chick frame

Day 2: whole fish head / whole fish

Day 3: lamb shank

Day 4: fast

Day 5 AM:chick / beef mince in kong

Day 5 PM: whole egg, natural yoghurt, table scraps, olive oil

Day 6: whole chick frame

Day 7: offal (liver, kidney etc)

Good luck with it though. Really its not too hard, but rather quite a lot of fun when you start scouting at the supermarket / butcher. I know I still have a lot to learn, but it really feels good to be doing it right for my dog - rather than the 'easy' option.

Oh - if anyone wishes to add suggestions / thoughts / comments it is always appreciated.

Edited by sarahrach

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billinghurst does - I'll see if I can find the text.

ETA:

Damn I think it's in the Grow Your Pups book which I've leant out. But he mentions in the Give Your Dog a Bone book about wolf pups eating anything they can get their mouths on (dirt, sticks, bugs, faeces etc) and the implication of the text is that it's ok.

Edited by molasseslass

How about potting mix? Left a bag (stupidly) within Jasmine's area got home yesterday to find potting mix and plastic bag scattered everywhere. Time for poo and first bit was RMB type, second was black - just like potting mix! So I guess I will mix in some potting mix with her next batch.... :)

How about potting mix? Left a bag (stupidly) within Jasmine's area got home yesterday to find potting mix and plastic bag scattered everywhere. Time for poo and first bit was RMB type, second was black - just like potting mix! So I guess I will mix in some potting mix with her next batch.... :)

Some can be deadly!

The BARF patties are a good alternative for small dogs who eat one or less then one a day. Any more and it would be getting expensive if you're on a budget.

My experience with the patties is that dogs love them and they do have some larger bones in them.

Have had one pug girl holidaying here that eats the patties and chicken necks as her exclusive food. She seems to be a pooing machine and smells because of all the raw stuff.

I have thought about getting some to add to my dogs diets once or twice a week as I don't really feed that much red meat as I don't eat it myself. I feed Science diet dried food but always mix something different into it each day ie chicken necks, scrambled eggs, vegtables, fruit, chicken breast, sardines. They also get a bone each once a week.

My experience with the patties is that dogs love them and they do have some larger bones in them.

Have had one pug girl holidaying here that eats the patties and chicken necks as her exclusive food. She seems to be a pooing machine and smells because of all the raw stuff.

I was always under the impression that feeding raw food meant a dog was less likely to smell. :)

I was always under the impression that feeding raw food meant a dog was less likely to smell. :)

That's been my experience. I'd not feed patties every day though and I don't use them anyway.

Some can be deadly!

Hmmm now I am worried. Just called OH to tell her to leave her in the house today so I can properly clean up and make sure none is left. (sorry to hijack thread!)

Are you sure about that price, because that is less than what I pay wholesale for it..

I would be interested in where you are from. I should be getting it from your supplier.

Ha ha,yeah I'm pretty sure,but it was a few months ago and the price could have gone up by now.I get them straight from the manufacturer in Brisbane-Big Dog Pets.I think they sell them for about $14 each if you buy one roll(12 patties) or $12 each if you buy a carton (4 rolls/48 patties).

The funny thing is when I first started out feeding raw I was looking around for a supplier of Dr Bs patties,I was all prepared to drive to the other side of town to get some and then I found out that the actual factory that they are made in about a 2 minute drive from my house(duh).

http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/barfpatties.htm

Ha ha,yeah I'm pretty sure,but it was a few months ago and the price could have gone up by now.I get them straight from the manufacturer in Brisbane-Big Dog Pets.I think they sell them for about $14 each if you buy one roll(12 patties) or $12 each if you buy a carton (4 rolls/48 patties).

The funny thing is when I first started out feeding raw I was looking around for a supplier of Dr Bs patties,I was all prepared to drive to the other side of town to get some and then I found out that the actual factory that they are made in about a 2 minute drive from my house(duh).

http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/barfpatties.htm

Maybe you can get it cheaper direct from the factory, however as a distributor I find it strange that your able to get access to it cheaper than I can. :o Not happy Jan...I will be looking in to this. Thanks for the heads up.

Someone is WA said that they pay $72 for a box of 4. I also think that is $10 too much.... I will be checking up on prices, this all seems a bit strange to me.