Puppy Ate Kangaroo/possum Droppings (and Possibly Rabbit?)

Odette

I took my 5 month old puppy out for a walk in the local woodlands park, its like a small piece of Australian bushland, protected but you can take dogs in on leads.

I had hr on a long lead, and was walking through the scrub, and had stopped to look at something, and when i turned around noticed the puppy was eating droppings.

She did this a few times during the walk, with the droppings being of varying size... There are roos in the park, and possums, and i saw a rabbit. She has had all of her vax (3 shots, but i hear the first shot is usually useless against parvo anyway, the vet assures me she would be protected now).

Can she get sick from this? Should i be worried?

Welcome to the wonderful world of dog ownership. :)

Most dogs LOVE eating poo. Keep up regular worming treatments and pray she doesn't learn to roll in it. :cry:

Exactly what I would have said lol Especially the rolling in it :p

As above :)

Guide Dog puppy raisers often inform the vet that their bright, healthy puppy keeps getting intermittent soft poos. The first thing the vet asks is if they have resident possums.....and possum droppings in their yard. 9 times out of 10 the answer is "Yes" :cry: No cure unfortunately although maybe some breath freshener mightn't go astray :p

She tries to raid the cats litter box regularly, so we keep it elevated on a table now :) .. I havent seen her eat her own poo ever, or other dogs...

I use Advocate for my puppy and cat, she had her last dose on Dec 31st, so still has a couple of weeks to go on it.. I don't use any additional worming products??

My disgusting poodles have eaten rabbit, duck, roo and possum poo- all with no obvious ill effects.

I found the mini with a maggot-ridden ribcage from the golf course yesterday :rainbowbridge:

Dogs have stronger stomachs than humans- they're pretty quick to vomit up anything too disgusting for them to cope with.

My dogs are wormed monthly (is in their heartworm preventative, Interceptor Spectrum).

eta: Drontal is the best intestinal all-wormer. You can buy other brands at the supermarket. Something is better than nothing.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Yep my girl just loves wallaby poo!

Luckily it's the older dryer varity and I can get it out of her mouth most of the time.

Here's a tip tho - if you do take it from your puppy when on a walk

NEVER scratch your nose afterwards!!

I can truly tell you that you will NEVER forget the smell :rainbowbridge:

Sharon

Welcome to the wonderful world of dog ownership. :rofl:

Most dogs LOVE eating poo. Keep up regular worming treatments and pray she doesn't learn to roll in it. :party:

:rofl:

What I can't figure out is:

How does my dog decide to roll in something rather than eat it??

He is a guts and eats everything, yet some things he'd rather use as a perfume?? :laugh::party: