Natural Flea Protection

Greenie

Does anyone know of an effective natural treatment to protect against fleas? I tried a GreenPet natural food supplement (citrus,garlic,water) however it did not work and both my dogs got absolutely infested with fleas.

Someone told me in the old days they used to just feed the dogs sulfer and never had any problems with fleas but I can't seem to find any info online about this.

The CatanDog disc was also recommended to me however I found this study which basically validated it's ineffectiveness http://tinyurl.com/2xq24h

Can find lots of 'natural' products on offer online however was hoping someone had tried some natural treatment personally and found it effective.

We live near the beach so our block of land is basically sand which I believe makes flea control even more difficult.

Have been using Advantix which is effective however finding my pups reacting badly to it. :rofl:

Thanks

A few clients of mine swear by this for fleas and ticks, although even though I have seen their positive results with my own eyes I am still doubtful :rofl: I have numerous clients that swear black and blue their tick problem has ceased since using these.

http://www.miteyfresh.com.au/page/skudo_ti...r_for_pets.html

Thanks for the quick response. Your post mentions that they found it effective for ticks - did they mention how well it protects against fleas? Had a look at the webpage and it does mention flea protection however only as a side snipet to their focus on tick control. Thanks.

When you are looged in, you can see a buttom near the person's name and it says "PM" (Personal or Private Message). Or you can look at your messages in the top right hand corner of the screen. You hit "compose" a message and type in the person's name. :rofl: It's a private message and only goes to them. :rofl:

Neem Oil is good. What about pennyroyal? :rofl:

Yes Neem is probably best, but like all natural products like essential oils etc, most are no safe to use on pregnant bitches. And they all need to be reapplied many times, nothing lasts longer than a day or half a day really

Most economical is to buy a bottle & make it into a spray bottle yourself, Neem wont mix with water so you have to mix it with a bit of shampoo first then fill the bottle with water.

One that works but as I say you have to keep reapplying:-

100mls pet comfort oil

15 ml wheatgerm oil

20ml olive oil

50ml grapeseed oil

4 drops cedarwood oil

10 drops pennyroyal oil

5 drops lemongrass oil

5 drops Lavendar oil

4 drops Rosemary oil

4 drops Tea tree oil

1/2 eye dropper of Hyssop tincture

You can add 1 teaspoon of this to a rinse water after a bath, wash all bedding & add a teaspoon of this ot the rinse water too. You can apply the oil to the dog anywhere but of course it will make the coat oily! You can put it at teh base of the tail, behind the ears etc.

Pennyroyal is a good one for fleas.

A few clients of mine swear by this for fleas and ticks, although even though I have seen their positive results with my own eyes I am still doubtful :) I have numerous clients that swear black and blue their tick problem has ceased since using these.

http://www.miteyfresh.com.au/page/skudo_ti...r_for_pets.html

Thanks for the quick response. Your post mentions that they found it effective for ticks - did they mention how well it protects against fleas? Had a look at the webpage and it does mention flea protection however only as a side snipet to their focus on tick control. Thanks.

The clients which use them feel that they work well against fleas ;)

Does anyone know of an effective natural treatment to protect against fleas? I tried a GreenPet natural food supplement (citrus,garlic,water) however it did not work and both my dogs got absolutely infested with fleas.

Someone told me in the old days they used to just feed the dogs sulfer and never had any problems with fleas but I can't seem to find any info online about this.

The CatanDog disc was also recommended to me however I found this study which basically validated it's ineffectiveness http://tinyurl.com/2xq24h

Can find lots of 'natural' products on offer online however was hoping someone had tried some natural treatment personally and found it effective.

We live near the beach so our block of land is basically sand which I believe makes flea control even more difficult.

Have been using Advantix which is effective however finding my pups reacting badly to it. :)

Thanks

I tried the GreenPet Flea Free Food Supplement too and found it made my puppy really itchy. I now just bath him in a natural shampoo which has Pure Neem Oil added to it. Haven't had fleas yet. ;)

I tried the GreenPet Flea Free Food Supplement too and found it made my puppy really itchy. I now just bath him in a natural shampoo which has Pure Neem Oil added to it. Haven't had fleas yet. :)

Wow, that's great...thanks for sharing...what is the brand of the shampoo you use?

Wow, that's great...thanks for sharing...what is the brand of the shampoo you use?

My pleasure. It's a Greenpet one and it's on their website under 'shampoo' (funnily enough :) ) It's called "DR CHET'S SKINCARE TREATMENT SHAMPOO" and costs $13 for a 250ml bottle.

I've just added about a teaspoon of the Neem Oil to it and wash Gus once a week with it. I've only had him about 6 weeks now but he hasn't had any fleas yet.

I'm like you, I don't want to use any chemicals on my puppy if I don't really have to. Natural is always best. :rofl:

What reaction are they having?

Are you applying the Advantix at least 48 hours after bathing?

Ring the manufacturer- they should be of some assistance as they don't want pups reacting badly to their products.

You have to wash all bedding, vacuum, treat sandy soil areas (fleas breed in sand).

Definitely a flea problem?

Not a flea allergy? Only takes one bite for problems, if an allergy.

Other allergies?

Hi Greenie, I have used brewers yeast in my dogs food for years and never have a flea problem and for a lot of those years I had Afghans.The smell of the brewers yeast is supposed to come out through the skin,although you wouldn't be able to smell it. Brewers yeast can make some dogs itchy,so you would have to watch out for that,it has never bothered any of mine

Just be very carefull if using Pennyroyal on pregnant bitches,it can cause abortions.