Information About Parvo Outbreaks And Affected Areas

Odette

I live in an area which, according to our vet, hasn't seen parvo in over 6 or 7 years (the vast majority would vaccinate their pets). My mum on the other hand lives in an area where i don't think people would routinely vaccinate their dogs, but has some wonderful parkland and native bushland (in Melbourne's North).

My pup has had her shots, at 8 weeks, 14 weeks and 18 weeks (there was an error on the vaccination card given to us by the breeder, so we ended up being 2 weeks late with her shots, i put in a complaint about it although it might not have been a bad thing in hindsight). After reading on here that fully vaccinated adult dogs succumb to parvo, is there any resource available that would allow you to quickly check if parvo has been present in an area recently other than calling veterinary clinics in the area? I know from the news that Moorabbin had an outbreak in August last year....

How do you check if an area has had a recent parvo outbreak?

Thanks!!

Edited by Odette

You ring the vets, though some will not tell you, as I found out.

If you want to be extra safe, you can test her immunity levels by titer testing her, and it will tell you

if the vaccinations have worked.

It's better she had her shots later :rofl:

There have been recent outbreaks near the peninsula, cranbourne etc, also the northern suburbs.

Edited by Tess32

And doesn't parvo last like 5 years in the ground or something??!! :rofl:

With all this recent equine flu, we were basically told that all the horses WILL get it - it's just a matter of time. It can float in the wind for up to 5 km and they reckon even further! :rofl:

I live in an area which, according to our vet, hasn't seen parvo in over 6 or 7 years (the vast majority would vaccinate their pets). My mum on the other hand lives in an area where i don't think people would routinely vaccinate their dogs, but has some wonderful parkland and native bushland (in Melbourne's North).

My pup has had her shots, at 8 weeks, 14 weeks and 18 weeks (there was an error on the vaccination card given to us by the breeder, so we ended up being 2 weeks late with her shots, i put in a complaint about it although it might not have been a bad thing in hindsight). After reading on here that fully vaccinated adult dogs succumb to parvo, is there any resource available that would allow you to quickly check if parvo has been present in an area recently other than calling veterinary clinics in the area? I know from the news that Moorabbin had an outbreak in August last year....

Thanks!!

Not sure why you would complain about the pup being vaccinated at 8 weeks, pups are meant to be done at 8-10 weeks, NOT 6 weeks. :rofl:

You cant avoid Parvo it is potentially everywhere, car tyres, flies, clothing etc etc etc.........Usually it will start at the local "pound/shelters" or sometimes boarding kennels , some kennels are also the local "pound" for eg.........

If your dog has been vaccinated correctly & it has immunity there is not a problem, however the only way to know if your dog has immunity is to do a Titer test (blood test), just because a dog has injections, doesnt mean it worked!

Usually they dont work as people vaccinate too young for a start. Then over vaccinate by giving it every year unneccessarily making their dog less immune & their immune system stressed & compromised.

Edited by Cavandra

Thanks!!

Not sure why you would complain about the pup being vaccinated at 8 weeks, pups are meant to be done at 8-10 weeks, NOT 6 weeks. :rofl:

You cant avoid Parvo it is potentially everywhere, car tyres, flies, clothing etc etc etc.........Usually it will start at the local "pound/shelters" or sometimes boarding kennels , some kennels are also the local "pound" for eg.........

If your dog has been vaccinated correctly & it has immunity there is not a problem, however the only way to know if your dog has immunity is to do a Titer test (blood test), just because a dog has injections, doesnt mean it worked!

Usually they dont work as people vaccinate too young for a start. Then over vaccinate by giving it every year unneccessarily making their dog less immune & their immune system stressed & compromised.

Question - if a pup is vaccinated at 8 weeks, then 12 and 16 weeks, what is the recommended schedule after that as my vet says once a year from then on.

Everyone I knows vaccinates at 6 weeks so the pup has a small level of immunity when they are rehomed at 8 weeks :rofl:

Everyone I knows vaccinates at 6 weeks so the pup has a small level of immunity when they are rehomed at 8 weeks :rofl:

The thinking is that if the pup still has maternal antibodies, this fights the vaccine and they cancel each other out, leaving the pup with no immunity.

I vaccinate at 8 weeks and rehome at 10.

And yes if you vaccinate before their maternal antibodies have gone, then you are wasting your time.

Question - if a pup is vaccinated at 8 weeks, then 12 and 16 weeks, what is the recommended schedule after that as my vet says once a year from then on.

Your Vet is following very old protocols that have been proven to be wrong by the experts in the field along time ago. The reason drug companies have brought out the "new" 3 yearly vaccine is stop everyone from having a hernia over finally realising just how "ripped off" most pet owners have been for a very long time LOL

Vaccinations last a lifetime in a dog in most cases. There is absolutley no reason whatsoever to vaccinate a dog annually!!!! They only end up causing your dog harm in one way or another.

Dr Jean Dodds is now recommending that after a puppy has had correctly admisnistered puppy shots 8-10 weeks being the first one,followed by another 2, then she recommends the dog never has another vaccine again, Titer tests will prove the dog is immune, and she recommends you titer every other year if you feel inclined not to believe, and re vaccinate only if it ever happens the dogs levels drop for some reason....Some dogs can never get immunity no matter if you jabbed it every month, and many people falsely get around in public thinking their dogs are covered due to having every vaccine under the sun, yet they are not, and never will be immune as the vaccines dont work on some dogs at all.

Titer Tests are the only way to prove your dog is immune, and means a thousand times more than your vaccination card, all Training Clubs, Boarding kennels etc have to accept a Titer test result instead of a vaccination card.

I cant tell you how much Titers are as Vets can charge whatever they like, as they do for everything now, but it is a simple blood test that goes to pathology in WA, and should not cost more than a vaccination in theory. The more people do this the cheaper they will become also....Most Vets will just look at you blankly if you ask for titers to be done, and really it is a worry that so many Aussie Vets are so behind the rest of the world , I think it is more because they make so much $$$$ in vaccines, it is a HUGE mark up, and they dont want to lose that revenue, as I said that is what the 3 yearly one has been brought out for, so Vets can charge 3 times the amount for it & not be out of pocket LOL.........It is a compromise, far better than annual ones, but still unneccessary for your dog!

Your Vet is following very old protocols that have been proven to be wrong by the experts in the field along time ago. The reason drug companies have brought out the "new" 3 yearly vaccine is stop everyone from having a hernia over finally realising just how "ripped off" most pet owners have been for a very long time LOL

Vaccinations last a lifetime in a dog in most cases. There is absolutley no reason whatsoever to vaccinate a dog annually!!!! They only end up causing your dog harm in one way or another.

Dr Jean Dodds is now recommending that after a puppy has had correctly admisnistered puppy shots 8-10 weeks being the first one,followed by another 2, then she recommends the dog never has another vaccine again, Titer tests will prove the dog is immune, and she recommends you titer every other year if you feel inclined not to believe, and re vaccinate only if it ever happens the dogs levels drop for some reason....Some dogs can never get immunity no matter if you jabbed it every month, and many people falsely get around in public thinking their dogs are covered due to having every vaccine under the sun, yet they are not, and never will be immune as the vaccines dont work on some dogs at all.

Titer Tests are the only way to prove your dog is immune, and means a thousand times more than your vaccination card, all Training Clubs, Boarding kennels etc have to accept a Titer test result instead of a vaccination card.

I cant tell you how much Titers are as Vets can charge whatever they like, as they do for everything now, but it is a simple blood test that goes to pathology in WA, and should not cost more than a vaccination in theory. The more people do this the cheaper they will become also....Most Vets will just look at you blankly if you ask for titers to be done, and really it is a worry that so many Aussie Vets are so behind the rest of the world , I think it is more because they make so much $$$$ in vaccines, it is a HUGE mark up, and they dont want to lose that revenue, as I said that is what the 3 yearly one has been brought out for, so Vets can charge 3 times the amount for it & not be out of pocket LOL.........It is a compromise, far better than annual ones, but still unneccessary for your dog!

Cavandra - I can't thank you enough for this reply. I will def be requesting at titer test in a year and go from there.

If we were on facebook I'd send you a martini!!

Thanks,

S.

Thanks!!

Not sure why you would complain about the pup being vaccinated at 8 weeks, pups are meant to be done at 8-10 weeks, NOT 6 weeks. :)

Not complaining about 8 week vax, we picked her up from the breeder at 8 weeks. I understand that maternal antibodies often neutralise the first vaccine anyway. I was under the impression she should have had a 12 week and 16 week vaccination, rather than 14 week and 18 week.. Its all good though, i think it was probably better that they messed up. On the vaccination card it said her second shots were due on Dec 12th. That would have made her almost 16 weeks at the second shot, and 20 weeks at her 3rd shot. A vet friend told us that a mistake had been made (she was 14 weeks old at the time) so we immediately booked her in for her second shots. I might get her titer tested when we take her in to get her microchipped.

Not sure why you would complain about the pup being vaccinated at 8 weeks, pups are meant to be done at 8-10 weeks, NOT 6 weeks. :)

The thinking is that if the pup still has maternal antibodies, this fights the vaccine and they cancel each other out, leaving the pup with no immunity.

The maternal antibodies will bind to and neutralise the parvo in the vaccine, not allowing for the puppies own immune system to mount a response and develop its own antibodies.

Would anyone know how long after a vaccination shot can the dog be titer tested? Or doesn't it matter?

From about 2 weeks after vaccination. The titer will gradually diminish over years (unless of course the animal is exposed to the virus, and mounts a immune response).

Have you ever had your titer tested? We had to have our Hep B titers tested here at work (i work with human blood on occasion), and was vaccinated years ago. If the titer was below a threshold, i would have required a booster. Same principle they are establishing for dog vaccination now Im guessing....

Really, that long? :)

My pup will get his shot next sunday (13 weeks) which means i'll have to wait till 15 weeks to take him anywhere I guess after the titer test.

If anyone would like more reading on understanding Vaccine & the damage they can cause to our dogs by over doing it, I have a page dedicated to the subject on my Website

Dr Jean Dodds when spoken to recently by a friend says that 3 yearly is unneccessay also, but is a compromise situation. She would rather see our dogs Titered & only vaccinated when/if the dog ever needs it........and most dogs never need it!

I just had a thought - could I get the titer test done BEFORE his 13 week shot (previously he had a C3 at 6w and parvac at 10w), then get the shot same day? If the titer test comes back showing he's fine, I can take him out?

I would wait Tess, i was googling searching for answers for you, the majority of them said was wait 2 weeks after 3rd vaccination. I know your keen and all to get noah out, but better to be safe than sorry.

But i also found this:

There are 2 sets of vaccination protocols:

At 8, 12 and 16 weeks is the normal.

At 6, 9, 12 and 16 weeks is for when there is an extreme problem with parvovirus - which often happens at the end of summer.

NEVER vaccinate closer than 3 weeks - it usually results in the pup's passive immunity killing off the new shot before the attenuated viruses in it can "teach" the active immune system how to recognise and kill them.