Puppy Collars

Odette

My puppy lives indoors, and doesn't venture out side unless supervised, and cannot escape from the courtyards when she is outside (6 foot high fencing, concrete base, no gate).

At the moment, i dont have a collar on her (she is 5 months old). Im paranoid about her having a "accident" with her collar, i have two friends who have both lost puppies (one at about 6 months, one at 11 months) after they came home to find the puppy hanging from a tree, and in the other case, the other dog had put its paw through the puppy collar and choked like that. My cat doesnt wear a collar (also an indoor cat) for the same reason. When going for walks, the puppy wears a harness.

Im going to get her desexed within the next few weeks, and ill have her microchipped at the same time

Am i just being paranoid, and should i put a collar on her? What do you recommend? How tight/loose should the collar be? Can you recommend any brands?

Big risk. I dont know anyone who has lost of dog because of a collar. However I know two people who lost dogs last year which didnt have a collar (both were microchipped). Both the dogs ran outside when the door was opened (one was just bathed and was still wet). The wet dog eventually turned up at the RSPCA and she was fined for the dog not wearing a collar (just a small fine) but he wears one all the time now (he is an old dog). The RSPCA warned her that the microchips can fail.

The other little fella hasnt turned up and he disappeared around October last year. We think someone took a liking and seeing he didnt have a collar just took him in. Bit sad. I've taken my collar off my older boy to get the knots out of his ruff out the moment and I am paranoid about him not having something on.

If the collar is fitted correctly two fingers should just fit under. But your vet or the RSPCA will check it for you. I had mine checked at the RSPCA a few times - its no cost, go down on a weekend when the trainers are there.

*Caro:

Big risk. I dont know anyone who has lost of dog because of a collar.

There have been a couple of recent losses reported here. RIP doggies. I prefer to rely on the microchip.

All a person has to do to keep a dog with a collar is take it off.

Edited by poodlefan

If the collar is fitted correctly two fingers should just fit under. But your vet or the RSPCA will check it for you. I had mine checked at the RSPCA a few times - its no cost, go down on a weekend when the trainers are there.

Sorry but that is a crock.

My dog could get his collar off if he needed too.

BUT when a dog is caughton something and goes into panic mode, well anything can happen.

I lost Barkerin june lastyear, Springergirl lost Max just before christmas - both strangled through their collars.

LMWS nearly lost one of her a few years ago but managed to revive him. Many on DOL have had close calls.

Not with it in my opinion

if your dog is chipped and lost then it wil come home. If someone is dodgy and takes your dog in, it wont matter if it has a collar on or not, they will take it in and keep it anyway

ETA

Just 2 ofus that have lost dogs in the last 6 months

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...1&hl=barker

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=119798

ETA2 this also

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=105495&hl=

Edited by i haz flava!

None of mine wear collars at home - ruins the hair on the neck line on show dogs! Also they play rough and as a multidog household, accidents would be very likely. They are all microchipped though. I feel that with a microchip - you will always have hope that if they are lost there is a chance you will get them back, even months/years later. With a collar only - if it is removed or tags are lost - then that is it really.

My mother had her rescue maltshit get his paw stuck in his collar, but managed to get to him before he caused himself TOO much grief, but he was VERY stressed as you can imagine.

Because of the tragedies i read about here on DoL (:cheer: to you guys :D) willow never has a collar on at home. I've said it before, but when we get home from our walk, i unclip the COLLAR, not the lead. Shw's at the stage now where she just LOVES to walk, so doesnt hate us putting it on, because she knows its walk time :)

My mother had her rescue maltshit get his paw stuck in his collar, but managed to get to him before he caused himself TOO much grief, but he was VERY stressed as you can imagine.

Because of the tragedies i read about here on DoL (:) to you guys :laugh:) willow never has a collar on at home. I've said it before, but when we get home from our walk, i unclip the COLLAR, not the lead. Shw's at the stage now where she just LOVES to walk, so doesnt hate us putting it on, because she knows its walk time :vomit:

THats what we do here too.

Collars are undone not leads.

They see the collar and lead come out and KNOW it is walk/car/playtime

Just buy breakaway collars for your dog and cat.

I read quite a good thread about these collars not long ago, didn't know they existed and they sound like the way to go IMO. I have not used one but the hearache felt by those who have lost dogs through strangulation is a powerful reminder not to leave collars on dogs unattended.

Mine don't wear collars at home, neither do our cats. I've just bought a lovely little Rogz fabric collar and lead for the new puppy we're getting next week. It's very lightweight, and although she'll outgrow it fairly soon, it will be excellent for getting her used to a collar and lead. I think it's sized for toy breeds but will be perfect for an 8 weeks old Australian Shepherd.

Yes, all my leads have collars attached and I simply unclip or unbuckle the collar after the outing.

Same here, my border collie has never worn a collar at home in her 14 1/2 yrs. A friend of mine, a few years ago had her dogs council tag caught in the gap on her decking. The dog couldn't stand up & was panicking. She doesn't use collars at home now either. My council doesn't issue tags any more, but when they did, I attached them to the lead instead of the collar because I used to use 2 different collars, one for walking & one for training.

Edited by luvsdogs

i have got one of those easy fit and slip collars...even if they r put on tight and the collar gets caught on a tree...the thing will jst loosen up so he wldnt strangle himself...bt the downside is....tht it can easily come off he does get lost....bt thts y u shld use microchipping!!! if ur dogs microchipped with ur up2date details...u shld be okay!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a break away collar, here's where I ordered it from online (with some product info):

Breakaway Collar

Or, if you'd prefer to support a DOL member, ~Erin~ sells them in her online shop. :thumbsup:

I can't recommend them enough. I'd never leave my dog without a collar on at home because if (and there are always 'ifs' in life) he did get out of the yard, I'd want him to have SOME form of ID on him. Even though he's microchipped, i've heard too many stories of stray dogs being rudimentally scanned for a microchip and if none is found then they don't look much further. Microchips can and do move around the body so just scanning across their shoulders sometimes isn't enough. At least I know that because Gus has his Central Registry tag on his collar that (hopefully) he'd be scanned with a bit more effort. Not to mention having my contact details on his collar also.

I'll never put anything OTHER than a Breakaway collar on Gus. It's already come off his twice when he's caught himself on something. Not to say he would have choked to death on whatever it was he'd caught it on (i had no idea what it was because i just found the collar on the ground) but still, who's to say he wouldn't have and that the collar saved his life? :(

I think they're a wonderful, wonderful idea. :rofl:

Edited to add the address to ~Erin~'s online shop: http://www.twosmallpuppies.com/

Edited by Joypod

Mine are microchipped. However they also wear I think they are called Ezy-dog collars. they are quite loose, so can easily slip on/off over their heads. They are also quite wide and are made from wetsuit material so they do not rub the coat excessively.

The council tags are on them, along with a name tag with my phone numbers.

It is a personal choice.