Hoya Filters?

austen

I am about to purchase a canon 400d.

At the camera shop, the assistant told me that I should really buy ultraviolet filters for the camera (I think they are about $%20.00) to protect the lens from scratching. does everyone use these?

Years and years ago when I had an old SLR camera, I remember thinking that it made the picture look darker? Is this the case these days or have I got it wrong?

I am about to purchase a canon 400d.

At the camera shop, the assistant told me that I should really buy ultraviolet filters for the camera (I think they are about $%20.00) to protect the lens from scratching. does everyone use these?

Years and years ago when I had an old SLR camera, I remember thinking that it made the picture look darker? Is this the case these days or have I got it wrong?

Congrats on your buy! I put a UV filter on my lens purely to protect the lens. Its better to replace a filter because of a stratch than a whole lens! I dont find it makes my photos any darker though.

Have fun!

I have a UV filter on my new sigma 17-70 to protect it. Cheaper to replace a $60 filter than a lens.

I also have a Hoya Polariser for my 18-55mm kit lens and a 2 stop Grad filter for my 17-17.

Edited by Ripley

I have a UV filter on my new sigma 17-70 to protect it. Cheaper to replace a $60 filter than a lens.

I also have a Hoya Polariser for my 18-55mm kit lens and a 2 stop Grad filter for my 17-17.

He He - wish i knew what all those things meant - is the $20 one alright to get?

Also - just wondering if anyone knew a good basic book about photography - not about exposures etc - because I think i will be just using auto for the first six months or so - but more about techniques - i.e. the way to position your subject etc.

Austen, the camera will probably come with a pretty decent sized manual/user guide

so definitely check that out and it may well have enough info to get you going

for starters.

Then go get yourself something like "Understanding Exposure" which has been

recommended by a number of people!

I think its a good idea to get a "lens protector" by way of a UV, sky or haze

filter.

He He - wish i knew what all those things meant - is the $20 one alright to get?

Also - just wondering if anyone knew a good basic book about photography - not about exposures etc - because I think i will be just using auto for the first six months or so - but more about techniques - i.e. the way to position your subject etc.

I don't use any filters on any of my lenses for protection and I'm not particularly graceful or careful with my kit. Stuff is pretty rugged, I've found. I just take reasonable precautions and pay attention to what I'm doing. Filters such as these can degrade image quality or change the image (some make the image darker, for instance). Adding glass to your lens will rarely help for optimum optical performance (and it means you now have three surfaces you have to make sure are spotless!)

Another solution if you're worried about something touching the lens is to use a lens hood. Canon only supplies these with their L glass but Sigma includes one with all of their lenses. Again, I rarely use mine, but find this is a better solution for me. The added benefit of using a hood is a reduction of sun glare which is really helpful when you're outside shooting.

As for books, hit the local bookstore and browse their selection as there are a million out there and not every one covers the things you are interested in. I also find hitting the net forums to be invaluable - there's a wealth of information and current real life examples posted every day on every subject you can imagine. Canon has a forum that's pretty extensive - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php - with subforums for all types of subjects, including Nature & Animals for pet photos. Excellent stuff in there.

Edited by kja

kja - unless you are taking photos inside a nice clean spotless studio you NEED to protect your lenses especially if they are expensive ones. Taking professional sporting photos with all the dust that is floating around I always have filters on my lenses if possible. For the last couple of weeks I've been trying out a new lens I bought a while back but when I get a chance I'll be putting a filter on it (just need to clean the spare filter). YOu never know when you might accidentally bump something with the lens causing some kind of a scratch. Gear is tough but it only takes one little tiny lens scratch to stuff the entire lens. Better safe than sorry.

Any 'degrading' of images would hardly be noticable - I certainly didnt notice any difference for the week I used the camera after the filter fell off (it the car it eventually turned up) and I couldn't get a new one.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I got my camera today and already I love it - the pictures are so much better than my compact digital.

I bought my camera from Harvey Norman and unfortunately they had run out of uv filters so I am off to buy one tomorrow. I am sure that years ago on my old slr camera I bought a polarising filter and for some reason I thought i t made the photos darker (but am not really sure about that) I thought I would just start with the uv one and see how I go. Hope there is no difference in quality of photos.

Thanks again for your help - it is much appreciated. (I also got a 4gb Extremee III compact flash card - apparently they run faster?)

I too use filters on my lenses, particularly my good ones for the simple fact that I am subjecting my lenses

to dust/dirt/gravel/insects as I am out in the bush alot - and also puppy licks quite often. MUCH prefer to clean

or replace a filter than the lens glass.

Good luck with your new camera.

I too use filters on my lenses, particularly my good ones for the simple fact that I am subjecting my lenses

to dust/dirt/gravel/insects as I am out in the bush alot - and also puppy licks quite often. MUCH prefer to clean

or replace a filter than the lens glass.

Good luck with your new camera.

I'm off to buy one today - what I think I wll do if I'm just taking pictures at home with the kids etc -I won't bother putting it on, but when I'm out or taking pictures of the dogs or at the beach etc, I will put it on. What do you think?

I also nearly ended up getting a Nikon d80 because both the guys at Harvey Norman were going on about how much better a camera it was than the Canon. I thought it was interesting because nearly everyone else I talked to reccommended the Canon. Do you think the sales people get more comission for selling a particular brand?

Would love to sales figures for both cameras to see what most people bought.

Each to their own :) I'm not saying use one or not, everyone has to decide for themselves. I'm just presenting another view for consideration. If you choose not to use a filter, it doesn't mean that your glass will die a horrible death :rock:

I don't use filters for protection. Never have, haven't found an issue.

I routinely shoot on beaches, out in the bush, leaning out of airplanes, off the sides of boats, with dogs (and once a horse!) bumping and licking and having a wee taste and while crawling around all sorts of places. I've not scratched a lens yet, knock wood. I shoot everything from my Nifty Fifty (about $50 :rock: ) to the 70-200IS 2.8 L and I am not concerned with my method for any of them.

If you are going to buy a filter, buy a good one, imho. And I think using it while you are in a high risk environment makes a lot of sense - just make sure all three glass sides are clean :rock:

I also picked up a new blower, I'd been without one for a long time - mine's just a bulb one - and it's a gem of a thing to add. Lightweight, easy to use, powerful enough to blow the dust and bits off without worry of scratching anything (handy trick - blow across the lens, not down on to it). Mine was like $8 or so. Works great when I'm out and about.

austen - Woohooo on your new camera! Great that you're loving it already!! Let's see some photos :D

Some stores will offer their people a larger commission on some items/brands. I'm not sure about Harvey Norman in particular. I do find that a lot of time the "photo pros" are anything but...even at some dedicated camera stores! I don't think you can go wrong with Nikon or Canon, honestly. I prefer Canon for a number of reasons including better high ISO results but know lots of happy Nikon shooters, too. It would be interesting to know specifically what these guys thought was better on a particular model - sometimes what's "better" might not be important to your needs.

Also, when I was moving to dslr I found that Nikon's service was dismal. I live in a remote area and being without my camera for longer than absolutely necessary or having it cost squillions to fix wasn't a go for me. Everything I'd heard about Canon and the two times I had to deal with them myself was easy, stress free, fast and courteous. I've got two friends who shoot Nikon and both just sent stuff away (well, in September and November respectively). They bitched for weeks about the service they were receiving. My friend who sent his lens off in November still doesn't have it back. Service might not be a deal breaker, but it might be something that weighs in on one side or the other.

Each to their own :D

If you are going to buy a filter, buy a good one, imho. And I think using it while you are in a high risk environment makes a lot of sense

Ditto. A UV / skylight filter offers little to the digital photographer other than lens protection.

Each to their own :D

If you are going to buy a filter, buy a good one, imho. And I think using it while you are in a high risk environment makes a lot of sense

Ditto. A UV / skylight filter offers little to the digital photographer other than lens protection.

I think all we are talking about is lens protection here...

My UV filter is a Hoya. I bought it in Tamworth recently so not sure how much they are in Sydney. I paid close to $70 for it to fit a 17-70 lens. I'm not the most gentle of people with my equipment so don't want to risk a scratch on a new lens I got for Christmas. Plus, I carry my camera in a Lowerpro backpack made for cameras that also fits a bottle of water and a few other non camera stuff in there so I can change lenses if I like. I was on a hike the other week, and I heard the rain coming through the rainforest so I had to quickly stuff camera and lens back into bag, pull the wet weather cover over bag and run. :)

Another handy tip is to carry a towel. I went through using plastic bags and trying to buy a cover and found that while the pastic would keep the water off initially it bounced it back the second you moved. Wrapping the camera in a towel when you are out taking photos in the rain keeps it nice and dry (well as long as the camera isn't actually outside (coat, bag) for longer than necessary as the towel will soak up a fair bit of water. And if you carry a second one you can dry off too. Learnt that trick from people in Melbourne (where they can get rain on a day that starts nice and sunny!)

And if you carry a second one you can dry off too. Learnt that trick from people in Melbourne (where they can get rain on a day that starts nice and sunny!)

Add a dry pair of shorts or pants if you are heading to the beach! I am forever crouching down to get a better angle and it never fails that some rogue little wavelet will jump up and get me, even on the calmest days :thumbsup:

Oh I put the jacket over the backpack after I'd put on its waterproof cover as well. I had 2km to run back but only managed to run half of that in the rain. I have found gaiters to be a must for my legs - not a fan of leeches. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ripley