Coughing Boxer Pups

TankGirl

Hey all!

proud momma to two 3 month old boxer pups here!

one is male, one is female, both littermates. picked them up from the breeder two saturdays ago (Jan 19)

he (Thunder) developed a deep hacking cough last tuesday. was pretty mild so my husband and i agreed to observe it.

he was eating as normal, and playing as normal.

took him to the vet on thursday the 24th in afternoon as it did not abate. the vet said that it could be just an irritation of the throat, he had no temperature and since he was still eating and behaving as normal, that she didn't think it was anything to worry about.

it is now the 29th. She (Lightning) has (since last night) started coughing as well, and has had some greenish discharge around the nose (but this isn't there all the time - her nose isn't runny, but its just on the big coughs that some gets pushed up and out i guess)

They have both had their shots (and are due for the last one on Feb 14, have been wormed and given heartworm tablets)

they are both well and appear to be as normal (although this morning they didn't finish their food)

their poos are a good consistency. they are playful as normal...

diet consists of softened kibble, and raw mince. they get calcium supplementation as well.

i'm taking them to the vet again this afternoon because it is heartbreaking to hear them coughing and hacking away

has anyone had anything similar?

I will take a guess - Kennel cough...

Pups with nasal discharge or hacking coughs are serious in my book and should be looked at asap by a vet - I also would not settle for an answer like, I think it is this or that - I would want a more confident response along the lines of it IS this or that... If you know what I mean.

I also don't believe they are fully immunised until two weeks after their last injection (which is not for a couple of weeks??) So they can catch diseases until they are fully immunised.

Best of luck with the little ones

Jodie

thanks for the speedy response, Jodie and jaegertheweim...

i will definitely be in contact with the breeder this afternoon.

i wasn't happy at all with the answer that the vet gave. now am wondering whether i should take them to a different vet or the same one.

in your experience, how long till kennel cough clears up (assuming it is kennel cough?)

thanks guys...

i know i'm being the over worrying type but i really do feel bad for the pups.

Tank Girl, keep in mind that kennel cough is highly contagious. Keep your puppies away from other dogs until they are well again.

If you are feeding puppy kibble, I'd be most wary of supplementing with additonal calcium BTW. Your pups would be better off with some chicken wings rather than mince anyway.

It sounds like canine cough to me. Normally I wouldn't recommend taking a dog to the vet as most dogs recover quickly and coughing usually disappears within a week, however a green nasal discharge could mean that the dog has developed a secondary infection and may need antibiotics.

Please be aware that having a C5 vaccination doesn't guarantee that your dog won't contract kennel cough, there are many different strains and you can only vaccinate against a few of them.

BTW I agree with PF regarding the calcium supplementation, I have a large breed and never give additional calcium, it's not necessary and can cause problems. Feeding some chicken wings, frames and brisket bones would be a good idea.

hi everyone...just an update.

after taking my pups to the vet, (it was a different one who saw us this time) he gave them a shot of antibiotics, and gave us some more in pill form to give to them.

they seem to be getting a little bit worse with the cough (i'm sure the wet weather isn't helping) but i'm hoping they have to get worse before they get better. (at least that is the case i seem to have when i'm on antibiotics.

thanks for all your help and friendly advice.

TG

PS

i'll be posting some pictures of them in the boxer area if your curious :thumbsup: