Strong Smell Coming From Rear

I'd recommend getting your dog to the vet ASAP. Sounds like anal glands - they can get infected and turn into an abcess which is extremely painful for the dog and will be time consuming and awkward to deal with.

If you leave it a big long - like I did once - when my boy went into vet and they pressed - the foul stuff went up the walls, all over the vet's surgery basically and that was only one side. She was more careful doing the other side but that went everywhere too, including all over her face, arms and coat .... she had to run and change - stinky poo.

My boy needs them doing every 6 weeks to 3 months and it's easy to forget .... he doesn't show any symptoms like rubbing his bottom.

yep, i'd go with the anal glands. my pups don't empty automatically and tend to 'overflow' when they are full and you can smell it a mile off (specially when it comes out on my BED)

you can sometimes feel if they are full, but might be best to have a vet show you where they are and how to feel so you don't end up being squirted in the face!!