How Can I Teach My Dog To Jump Into My Arms?

laffi

How can I teach my dogs (an aussie and a golden) to jump into my arms?

No idea but I'd like to know.

I just told both of mine 'hugs' when they were really excited. But I can't catch them as yet :D :)

Both are natural jumpers :rainbowbridge:

Midge jumps up to give me a kiss, but not into my arms.

OK I was told on a different forum to teach them first to jump through the loop you make with your arms and then try to catch them :rofl:

Apparently the second step is easier than it sounds. :laugh:

Be careful what you wish for.....I trained a little Kees of mine to do this, primarily because I was taking off from her natural ability and I knew she wasn't going to grow to be too heavy. Even at 12 kg this is a lot of weight to catch and I can't imagine it being an easy thing to catch a dog much larger than that, even for a man.

It was a fun "trick" and she loved to do it.

Anyway, the downside was that she was a very exuberant little dog, it encouraged her habit to jump even more and sometimes when she was very happy she would jump up to be caught when; either I wasn't expecting it (b/c she saw the signal in my general demeanour) ; or even worse when I wasn't looking. Because she would curl her legs up underneath her in preparation to be caught, on the occassions when she wasn't caught she landed on her bottom instead of her legs and it makes me wince to think of it.

The way I taught her was bending down and catching her at a low level first and then gradually standing up straighter and straighter.

Edited by nynka

It's pretty hard to catch the dogs so you don't hurt them too, especially when they get a bit bigger. Xena will jump into my arms when she gets really excited at the end of an agility run or something just as fun. Only problem is I reckon 80% of the time she doesn't like it when she gets there - hurts her when I catch.

She's only 16kg and I'm not all that small at 90kg so unless you get the timing just right with Midge it might be a challenge.

I hear you :)

It does seem to be quite a dangerous activity :rainbowbridge: . I actually found that once I put Midge's jumping on cue it stopped occurring without a cue. OH was very impressed. So I am hoping they are not doing to throw themselves at me.

But I do agree that high impact is a factor. I actually think my golden would be better at it because she is very gentle. Midge is more into violet kisses :D

It's pretty hard to catch the dogs so you don't hurt them too, especially when they get a bit bigger. Xena will jump into my arms when she gets really excited at the end of an agility run or something just as fun. Only problem is I reckon 80% of the time she doesn't like it when she gets there - hurts her when I catch.

She's only 16kg and I'm not all that small at 90kg so unless you get the timing just right with Midge it might be a challenge.

Oh I see. Well I have been jealous of all these dogs jumping into their owners arms after agility or freestyle.... I didn't realize it was so hard for the owner and the dog.

Oh I see. Well I have been jealous of all these dogs jumping into their owners arms after agility or freestyle.... I didn't realize it was so hard for the owner and the dog.

I dont think ive seen someone catch a Golden, they would be too heavy and awkward i would think. Ive seen the little ones do it and BCs generally but they are lighter then Aussies and Goldens.

How heavy are your dogs and are they 'light' or 'heavy' jumpers?

I dont think ive seen someone catch a Golden, they would be too heavy and awkward i would think. Ive seen the little ones do it and BCs generally but they are lighter then Aussies and Goldens.

How heavy are your dogs and are they 'light' or 'heavy' jumpers?

That's what I thought too!!! However I saw this podcats in ITubes Purina Incredible Dog Challange: Agility Large breed (it's free btw) where a woman catches her male (!) flat coated retriever after an amazing run. You should really see it to belive it :rainbowbridge:

Mine are pretty light jumpers, esp the golden one.

i've taught one of mine to jump up into my arms... does she like it yes.. it is a fav trick... i have put it on cue to prevent her doing it at will.. which started to happen so saw the need for a cue... i am also using it to teach her to bank off me in the opp direction for the frisbee... she does land with a punch but i brace myself then ask her as she gets there i release the frisbee she learnt quickly the difference of with a frisbee she can bank off me without it i will catch her..

will i teach the others possibly...

how did i teach it.. started picking her up and saying jump eventually she started a little jump action , i then progressed until she would offer a higher jump to be caught... and then a full launch into my arms...

I like the first youtube vid :o

Might have to give that a try - Kinta can 1/2 do it :scared:

I decided to do it like that too ;) . I am not going to teach them to run AT me because the impact might be too big. Like in the fist clip I will try to teach them to go on my leg from a side so hopefully I will be able to handle that.

I have been warned though so if I disappear from DOL at least you will know what happened to me :)

I just followed the instructions of the movie with the pillows. Buster can now jump into my arms. I'm a pretty poor catcher and some of his jumps are a bit pathetic but he did it really well. It's not as hard to catch as I thought it would be, that was fun!

• 2 weeks later...

those videos are awsome! I have been dying to teach my dogs to jump into my arms for years but I never had the foggiest idea HOW, sure I had plenty of ideas but I was never able to coordinate myself to be able to DO them lol. but I startat with the chair methode and it works great! all 4 of my guys are catching on really fast and they love it(although the 40lb BC is a little exuberant lol) even Electra is catching on fast and she is the moron of the group..she also doesnt jump lol. but when she gets a cookie for jumping on my lap? well hey, sweet deal! lol