Changing A Background

Tangwyn

Hi All,

I took this photo of some friends' Labs and would really love to enlarge and frame it for them. Is there any way to make the background more neutral but still have it look relatively "unworked" when it is enlarged?

JazzieandChippy1.jpg

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Kirsty

would you like it just blurred out a little like this

JazzieandChippy1.jpg

or do you want a different back ground all together? If you want something like them sitting in a grassy field that can be done too.

Let me know what you want and I can whip it up for you properly (that one above is just a rough go I can clean it up better if it's what you want)

That looks great! Thanks!

I think the blurring is better as it still retains the feel that the dogs are in the house on their beds. They've got that cosy look....

Keeping the blurred effect is there a way to "rub out" the black speaker beside the alert dog's face? I really must get myself photoshop...

Edited by Tangwyn

Ok black removed and a much cleaner outline of the dogs for you. I hope it's OK for you

JazzieandChippy.jpg

holy smoke how did u do that?

two things i'm trying to learn 1 to blur the background or make it less important and 2 to change the lighting shades in a photo.

but i'll be stoaked in knowing how u did that background blurr that's great

It's very similar to the other thread you just looked in too.

I took the original and cloned out the speaker, then made a copy or the original. The on the copy I used the blur till it was out of focus just enough. Then using the eraser I went over the dogs using a couple of different brushes (I use a frilled eadge brush to go around the rough coats to blend in rather than looking like clean edges) Once I had the dogs cleaned up I merged the 2 layers and hey presto!! what you get is what you see. And even though it's cheating :laugh: cheating does have it's advantages :thumbsup:

oh yeah i agree lol!!! always good to know how to do things that you couldnt achieve the first time.. thanks for that tho

you just said something about the brushes i might have to try one day.. i'm always trying out new ways to do things i wasnts aware well didnt pay attention that the brush effect leaves different effects.. must give that one a bash

thank you

No worries, you definitely need to check out the brushes. If you look at the first one I played with I used a standard brush as I wasn't being particular and just did a rush job to show the effect. So if you look at it closely you can see how a standard brush doesn't cut into the dogs fur properly and you have too sharp an edge that doesn't make the layers fit together nicely. Sometimes you have to work out if its easier erasing the inside of a pic or erase around the out side of the pic for the better effect. (I can explain that to you in more detail via PM if you want, I shouldn't hijack this thread, SORRY Tangwyn).

No worries, you definitely need to check out the brushes. If you look at the first one I played with I used a standard brush as I wasn't being particular and just did a rush job to show the effect. So if you look at it closely you can see how a standard brush doesn't cut into the dogs fur properly and you have too sharp an edge that doesn't make the layers fit together nicely. Sometimes you have to work out if its easier erasing the inside of a pic or erase around the out side of the pic for the better effect. (I can explain that to you in more detail via PM if you want, I shouldn't hijack this thread, SORRY Tangwyn).

Freckles: are you using Photoshop for this - is it the best software for this kind of thing? and do you use pc or mac? i have just changed to a mac and would like a more advanced tool ... cheers

Hi twoweis, yes I did this pic in photoshop7 with pc. I am very limited in my knowledge with PS7 and have barely scraped the surface but its very easy software to learn. I have about 4 different editing programs and each has something different but all work well in the major things I need them for. As for working on a mac, sorry I have know advice other than start a thread asking for mac users opinions, I'm sure someone out there can offer you some advice :D

Freckles: are you using Photoshop for this - is it the best software for this kind of thing? and do you use pc or mac? i have just changed to a mac and would like a more advanced tool ... cheers

I use photoshop on a mac. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's great! I still however prefer my cheapy photoshop programs on my pc.

HTH