How Much Do I Feed My Dog?

moggy

Sophie, my Chihuahua, is 7 months old now and was desexed 4 weeks ago. Before her op she weighed in at 2.6 kilo. Now she weighs 3 kilos. I know this is not obese but would like to know how much I should be feeding her.

At the moment she has 1 chicken neck in the morning, and at 5pm she has about 3/4 cup mixture of VIP dog roll and chopped fresh beef.

I know there are some who would advise against the VIP roll but it has no preservatives and she is getting the fresh meat with it.

She has egg mixed with her dinner once a week.

She would eat all day if I let her.

Would appreciate any advice please.

Moggy

Hi...

I don't think anyone can give you exact quantities to feed her :D

She is still growing...don't forget.

If you can feel her ribs easily..and she has a waistline, is active and shiny, then she is eating enough :offtopic:

Do you have a picture of her that you can post ? Then we can SEE what she looks like :)

Oh, and remember...she is a dog, so lots of bones to chew..:)

Thanks for your reply Pers. I don't know if she still has "puppy fat" but will watch her. We have already cut down on the size of her meals and TRY not to give her treats. It is very hard when she looks at you with those gorgeous dark eyes. lol.

moggy, it's hard with puppies because they go through spurts and stunts all the time. You should be able to feel your pups ribs while gently touching her sides.

As for what you are feeding her - my adult dog is ~8kgs and has been known to get a chicken neck as an entire meal (entirely daily intake) at times! He is a border terrier, so a bigger breed. He also, if he is getting mince or diced beef, a meal is ~110gs... A cup is about 250gs, so you are feeding your chihuahua puppy almost 3 times what my adult border terrier gets. HOWEVER my dog puts on weight looking at food, and is not a growing active puppy!

The most important thing to do is to monitor her weight. If she is stacking on, cut back. If she is looking lean, add on. It's always a balancing game, especially with puppies.

Hope that helps. :laugh:

I feed my chihuahuas 1/4 cup of advance kibble for breakfast, and about a bit less than half a slice of tuckertime for dinner. IMO, 3/4 of a cup is a bit too much, but your pup doesnt look fat, so maybe just cut down a bit if you think it is too much, mine would explode if i gave them that much! I sometimes also give them a bit of a snack at lunch (about a couple of teaspoons of kibble) just to keep their blood sugar levels up because one of mine is quite little.

She looks like a pretty girl by the way :D

Edited by honeychild

Thanks for all your advice. I am now going to give her a little dry food in the morning, and half a cup of combined roll and fresh meat for her dinner. I just don't want her to be hungry, but realise she would eat 24/7 if she could.

And Honeychild, yes she is a darling. Thanks.

Moggy