An Idea; "the Ultimate Dol Raw/prey Diet Information" Thread

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first advice I'd give anyone contemplating a raw or prey diet is to buy some books and do their homework.

Good as the advice is here, I think it pays to do your own research.

I 100% agree with this.

The thing to remember when feeding a raw diet is that while it involves changing what you feed, it more than anything involves changing HOW YOU THINK about feeding.

Raw diets are NOT about recipes. They are not one size fits all or follow the plan on the bag type diets. Instead they involve a set of principles on which you can base how you feed your dogs. You need to understand the principles first as they will guide everything you do.

I fully understand that some people need their hand held a lot more than that. It can take time to change the way you think about how you feed and it is not always easy (although reading at least one book and following the principles in it is a good way to start). But in the end, when it comes to a raw diet, you HAVE to do the reading and understand WHY you are feeding like that as well as knowing the types of things you can feed.

Let's not make this seem more complicated than it is. :rofl: One of the reasons I like feeding raw is because it's simple.

It's not hard, it's not complicated, you don't need to study extensively to do it. Think of a whole animal, feed it to you dog... in entire or individual parts. Easy. :(

The first advice I'd give anyone contemplating a raw or prey diet is to buy some books and do their homework.

What books?

My recommendation for a first book to read would be:

Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats by Kymythy Schultze. It draws on most other major references and is well written.

After that, I'd read all the Billinghurst books (probably starting with The BARF Diet) and Tom Lonsdale's Raw Meaty Bones book.

I'm sure others have their favourites too.

Guest Tess32

What do you guys do when you have a dog who needs to lose weight but a rather large meaty bone like a turkey leg? Just let them eat half or so that day and take it away for the next day, or feed the whole thing and feed nothing or very little the next day?

Just bought two MASSIVE turkey legs.

Guest Piximatosis

Ditto with what the others have said, I let them eat the whole lot then feed less the next meal or two. :laugh:

hey raw feeders! i'm having lots of trouble getting ted to eat organs. i've mixed it with fish, egg, cooked it a bit, nothing seems to work. he will eat a bit if its cooked but if its raw at all- no way! just tried tonight mixed with sardines and he ate all around the liver :rofl: i'm pretty sure hes even licked the fish off the liver :rofl: i've only tried to give chicken liver. so any suggestions?

Guest Tess32

Try another liver? hehe.

Actually I had this happen with dried liver....they will NOT eat dried chicken liver, beats me why.

hey raw feeders! i'm having lots of trouble getting ted to eat organs. i've mixed it with fish, egg, cooked it a bit, nothing seems to work. he will eat a bit if its cooked but if its raw at all- no way! just tried tonight mixed with sardines and he ate all around the liver :eek: i'm pretty sure hes even licked the fish off the liver :) i've only tried to give chicken liver. so any suggestions?

Suggestions you may not have tried yet -

*feed the pieces frozen...a lot of dogs don't like the gooey texture of raw liver & kidney.

*mince the organs very finely and mix into ordinary meat mince.

*blend a very small amount of the organs very finely with an egg in a blender.

*try and feed the organs before the main meal, only bringing out the 'good stuff' when the icky stuff is swallowed.

*trick your dog into swallowing his organs - have a handful of his favourite treats (cut/broken really small), and start feeding him like a conveyor belt, then when he's swallowing each piece really quickly slip in a sliver of organ and quickly follow up with another treat - with any luck he'll swallow before he realizes what you've done!

*remember to keep calm and relaxed - dogs will pick up their person's anxiety or discomfort and will react similarly. Don't hover, cajole or beg either - just hand over the organ and move away.

*and of course there's always 'tough love' - offer him the little bit of organ meat every meal time until he gives in or gets hungry enough and eats it. Don't feed anything else till he eats it. Healthy dogs can comfortably go for 5 or 6 days without eating, and remember - you aren't starving him, you're offering him food, he is the one choosing not to eat!

Hope some of those help and good luck!

~ hopenfox ~

P.S. Just thought I'd share how my dogs eat their organs.

My oldest dog, Nicky the Cavy, loves all his organs raw...he'll eat anything!

Hope, my Koolie likes hers chopped roughly and mixed into chunks of lamb or beef.

Fox will only eat them frozen solid and is more enthusiastic when the previous days main meal was small and he's hungry.

If your dog won't eat one type of food, take it away after 20 minutes. Then put it down at the next meal time. And the next if need be. If you replace/swap food, then dogs will learn that if they leave food, better options will come. Dogs won't starve themselves to death. :laugh:

Guest Tess32

My dogs are tucking into those huge turkey legs right now, theyare a big hit! I only had two so the poor puppy had to make do with some meat off them.

Just a quick question for BARF feeders :laugh:

I bought some frozen BARF patties and have had them in my freezer for about 2-3 months :laugh: Just wondering if they would still be ok to defrost (for the first time) and feed to the doggies. How long are the patties able to last frozen?

hey thanks for the help guys- we have success the trick is frozen! so thanks hopenfox. ted was quite happy to eat liver frozen but only in bite size pieces. i think because its been so hot here it was like a nice liver iceblock for him :(

does anyone feed giblets? and what are they actually!

huski i'm not sure how long the patties would last but i think a couple months should be ok. the sticker thing on my frezer door says most meat can be left 6-12 months