After Some Suggestions On Meat To Feed

Norskgra

One of my girls can not eat any chicken fat. We can't give her chicken wings or chicken mince and when we give her chicken frames or necks, we have to take all of the fat off them otherwise it goes straight through her. She can't eat kangaroo either for the same reason.

She is fed a mainly dry diet but I do like to give her meat, vegs, fish, yoghurt etc with her dry.

Does any one have any suggestions on lean meats I could feed her apart from beef.

Edited by Norskgra

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kangaroo is very lean!!

turkey?

rabbit?

For some reason kangaroo just goes straight through her. Turkey is the same as chicken with her and we have to remove every bit of fat before we give it to her. I will try to find some rabbit and see if that is any better.

Mine aren't crazy about Roo either. I'd recommend rabbit if you can get it - preferably wild shot, not farmed.

Thank you. I just rang a butcher near me and they have both wild and farmed rabbits, so I will get her a couple of wild ones to try.

Mine aren't crazy about Roo either. I'd recommend rabbit if you can get it - preferably wild shot, not farmed.

Thank you. I just rang a butcher near me and they have both wild and farmed rabbits, so I will get her a couple of wild ones to try.

Wild ones should be cheaper Norskgra. See if you can get them skin on.. .dogs love doing their own unwrapping!!

Wild ones should be cheaper Norskgra. See if you can get them skin on.. .dogs love doing their own unwrapping!!

Thanks PF. The wild ones are half the price of the farmed ones. I didn't ask if they were still wrapped or not but I will find out when I go there. :rofl:

Thanks PF. The wild ones are half the price of the farmed ones. I didn't ask if they were still wrapped or not but I will find out when I go there. :rofl:

I'd expect they'd be unwrapped. You might be able to order some wrapped ones though. :) Bunnies are great teeth cleaners.. especially with an Elkhound on either end. The fur is the best fibre out for keep dogs [coughs] regular.

Edited by poodlefan

I'd expect they'd be unwrapped. You might be able to order some wrapped ones though. :) Bunnies are great teeth cleaners.. especially with an Elkhound on either end. The fur is the best fibre out for keep dogs [coughs] regular.

I will try to order some wrapped ones for next time. She won't be sharing it with any of the others. That is the only time we have problems with them all is when there are bones involved. Luckily our other Elkhounds can eat anything. They are all regular. :rofl:

Edited by Norskgra

Dare I say it Norskgra..... :love:

VENISON! :p :rofl::eek:

:rofl::):love: :p

You know me....

Seriously venison is low in fat as well - suprised about the kangaroo factor but there you go - all dogs are different. :love:

Crocodile and emu are also incredibly low in fat and full of the good oils but I don't like your chances of finding those :eek:

Good luck with your girly! :love:

Dare I say it Norskgra..... :love:

VENISON! :rofl::love::eek:

:rofl::):love: :p

You know me....

Seriously venison is low in fat as well - suprised about the kangaroo factor but there you go - all dogs are different. :love:

Crocodile and emu are also incredibly low in fat and full of the good oils but I don't like your chances of finding those :eek:

Good luck with your girly! :eek:

Thanks TT. I should have known what you would suggest. :p Just one thing, Elkhounds never attacked the moose, they just located them and barked to alert the hunter of the whereabouts of the prey. :( I will see if I can find some venison somewhere for her though.

one thing, Elkhounds never attacked the moose, they just located them and barked to alert the hunter of the whereabouts of the prey. :rofl: I will see if I can find some venison somewhere for her though.

Smart dogs.. those things are massive and sometimes they have a lot of pointy bits on their heads :D