My Whippet Has The Serious Blues

Elle_

Hi There,

I'm just new here, thank to a lovely referral, and I'm looking for help with my beautiful 6 month old female Whippet named Pippa.

She is a notorious crying Whippet who suffers from a bad case of separation anxiety.

I am loosing it big time after receiving a shocking noise complaint from the council as I was unaware my little angle did such a thing.

I did know that she cried a little when I leave to go to work and she stops very shortly after but apparently it is alot more sever than this as she crys over just about anything.

I would leave her inside with no hesitateions but she took no notice of the toilet training I gave and when left inside goes in very inapproprate places as a sign of anger for leaving her (or so I was told).

As she is still only a puppy she chews the hell out of everything (mostly ignoring all the things I will allow her to chew) and the wooden french doors are in a bad state.

I am now faced with a grave situation which is fix the problem or have to re homed her which I would die if I had to.

I'm just looking for a little help, guidance or at very most a play mate.

If anyone could chuck anything in I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks, Elle.

post-22961-1204259017_thumb.jpg

Where do you live?

I think a home visit from a qualified veterinary behaviouralist (who can prescribe medications) would be the logical place to start.

I am located in Leichhardt in Sydney. Behavioralist would be a good place to start, i'll have a look around.

Where do you live?

I think a home visit from a qualified veterinary behaviouralist (who can prescribe medications) would be the logical place to start.

I am located in Leichhardt in Sydney. Behavioralist would be a good place to start, i'll have a look around.

I'd be starting my search here I hear very good things about Dr Kersti Seksel.

also have read of this http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=62375

and explain to your neighbours that you ARE trying to solve the noise problem..that way they may be a little more tolerant...

Yeah the only problem is I have no idea which neighbors it is, the council won't reveal.

I would be nice to know though, that was I could apologies for he noise and explain the situation.

She has a warm kennel on dry ground and I leave treats everywhere when i'm gone but she just doesn't take to it.

I don't want to get another dog just to fix her I would want to get one because it was the right thing to do.

The other problem being I wouldn't want to go through the process of getting another dog and the same thing happening with Pippa anyway.

I am also running out of time as the council won't wait for me to fix it.

I'd be getting a large pen for inside on tiles etc and leave paper down till she grows up a bit and is trained.....

yeeees.. BUT apparently she is barking and chewing and going crazy... wouldn't she still be doing that in a pen? And what if she tried to jump/climb out? Could be a rough landing on slippery tiles .....

I still think having someone come visit coul be the best idea... then at least, Elle, you will know if it is something to be fixed easily, or in the 'too -hard-basket' ,or will just take a bit more time. THEN you can make whatever plans/changes needed.

best of luck.

Do you have a safe, tiled (easier to clean) part of the house you could contain her in (ie a laundry or large bathroom) when you're out? If all objects / items are removed that could cause her harm, it would probably be safer than a crate. (I have the remains of a steel crate here that a friends whippet destroyed).

Would she benefit from a companion?

Is doggy daycare an option (thought there may be some your way)?

I got a second whippet (an older girl, 3 1/2 - now 6) for my young whippet male several of years ago, though I realise that a second dog is not always an option. Generally I do find though that whippets love to have another dog to snuggle up to and do like company in any shape, form or size.

There are medications to sedate or reduce anxiety, but you'd need to try them to see if they'd be effective on her (they don't work in all cases). By memory too there's a plug in adaptor that releases a hormone (sort of like a mozzie deterent) that gives them the feel good vibes, but would think it was best used in an enclosed area for maximum benefit.

Edited by Stormy

Have you tried 'alone training' with this pup? :(

If not, that would be my first suggestion. The dog has to learn that it's okay to be left alone and that you always return no matter what.

She also has to learn that YOU are the leader rather than her...it could be she is 'calling you home' in the mistaken belief that YOU are HER CHILD...it could also be that she has the mistaken belief that she's the protector of the home and she's overwhelmed with such a huge responsibility. How much leadership do you show her in your daily relationship?

A few toys here and there aren't likely to help: this dog needs serious brain-work while you're absent and plenty of exercise before you leave her. A tired dog is a good dog, as the adage goes.

You can always try the DAP products - the diffuser is only of use in indoor areas, so perhaps move her from outside to the indoors. This will also help muffle her vocalising and in tandem with DAP, you can leave the TV, radio or CD (classical music works well) going for 'company'.

There are so many techniques you can try - the council simply can't insist you remove the dog without allowing you time to work through the problem. Also, under the Freedom of Information Act, the subject of a complaint (you) can scrutinise the complaint to find out exactly what the person has reported. It could be that the person has gone overboard in their complaint or that it's not even your dog making the noise. But you have the legal right to find out exactly what the council has received and that's the first thing I'd recommend. They won't give you the personal information but they must give you the substance of the complaint.

I hope this helps. :laugh:

BTW - I've heard that Seksel doesn't even have a dog...apparently because it's "unfair" as she travels for her job. :laugh: My advice would be to choose a behaviourist that your trusted vet has recommended. Perhaps they have access to someone through their practice?

BTW - I've heard that Seksel doesn't even have a dog...apparently because it's "unfair" as she travels for her job. :laugh: My advice would be to choose a behaviourist that your trusted vet has recommended. Perhaps they have access to someone through their practice?

Dr Gaille Perry and Dr Linda Beer also consult from this practice and they both have multiple dogs..Gaille I think 3 and Linda 4 or more, so I would still consider giving SADS a call and booking a consultation.

Whilst re-homing may be your only option, it's not really fair to handball this problem onto someone else. Best she is assessed first.

Mel.

I'd be getting a large pen for inside on tiles etc and leave paper down till she grows up a bit and is trained.....

Being a Whippet she is an escape artist and can get out of just about anything. I am 5'6 and she has jumped up to eye level with me so I have no idea what sort of a pen would accommodate for that. Not to mentioned the ability to chew through jail bars if needed.

She has a warm kennel on dry ground and I leave treats everywhere when i'm gone but she just doesn't take to it.

I don't want to get another dog just to fix her I would want to get one because it was the right thing to do.

The other problem being I wouldn't want to go through the process of getting another dog and the same thing happening with Pippa anyway.

I am also running out of time as the council won't wait for me to fix it.

It's unlikely another dog would fix the situation. Seperation Aniexty is usually pegged to Leadership issues and so the dog is focussed on you not another dog.

It is thought: The dog sees itself as a Leader, when you leave the home it becomes stressed because it doesn't know where you're going, what's going on, when you'll be back etc etc. Liken it to the sitution of having your 2 year old child walk out the front door and you can't go after it.

I would reccomend the Jan Fennel method, pretty much ignore your dog for a period of 24 hours (you still feed it but say nothing), after this 24 hours you call the dog to you, if the dog comes immediately you calmly give short praise and go on about your day. If the dog does not come immediately you ignore the dog for another 24 hours and repeat the above process.

Granted the dog came to you immediately you can cease ignoring the dog, however no free pats or attention to the dog at all. If the dog wants something it must work for it, you ask it for a sit or a drop etc etc. If it start presenting you with that behaviour i.e. it approaches you and sits before you ask for it, then you up the ante on the behaviour you want.

In the meantime whilst you're working this out, can the dog stay with a family or friend, or perhaps go to doggy day care or go to work with you?

Find an accredited Behaviourist from NDTF in Sydney and book in an appointment ;)

Good Luck :clap:

Edited by sas

I would reccomend the Jan Fennel method, pretty much ignore your dog for a period of 24 hours (you still feed it but say nothing), after this 24 hours you call the dog to you, if the dog comes immediately you calmly give short praise and go on about your day. If the dog does not come immediately you ignore the dog for another 24 hours and repeat the above process.

I like the sound of this!!

So many people feel sorry for the dog, in the 'wrong way' and lavish more attention/sympathy on it..which exacerbates the situation ;)

I got a second whippet (an older girl, 3 1/2 - now 6) for my young whippet male several of years ago, though I realise that a second dog is not always an option. Generally I do find though that whippets love to have another dog to snuggle up to and do like company in any shape, form or size.

I also rescued a single male whippet puppy when he was about 4 months old who suffered severe seperation anxiety... luckily I had very understanding neighbours. Like Stormy, I got a second whippet, an older female, as company for him. Whippets are such affectionate dogs and get extremely attached to their humans so do need company. I found my female whippet took on a mothering role and really calmed the puppy whilst I was gone.

As you mentioned you don't want to get another dog just to fix her, have you thought about short-term caring or maybe fostering another dog. It may be a good opportunity to test the situation before committing to a second dog yourself.