Eeek, Dog Throwing Up

Sheridan

My dog's just thrown up his dinner. Anything I need to look out for? The nearest emergency vet is a fair distance away and I don't think I need to take him in. He seems okay other than sort of hiccuping and seeming rather down.

Edited by Sheridan

Did he gulp his dinner?

have a drink after?

just keep him quiet.. give him some rescue remedy if you have any-don't offer food or drink for a couple of hours, and observe if he goes to the toilet .

He will look a bit flat..throwing up isn't pleasant for anyone ;)

If he is still 'hicupping'/gulping/retching, later, phone the vet and talk to someone...

hope he was just eating too fast :laugh:

edit because I typed w/out glasses on :thumbsup:

Edited by persephone

I wouldn't worry to much.

My dogs sometimes will have a spew for no particular reason.

He probably gulped his dnner to fast or there was something in it that didn't agree with him.

He might have a tummy bug that will pass.

Just keep an eye on him. If he does it again tomorrow after dinner then maybe take him to the vets.

I rang them back and said he's thrown up twice since I last rang. They said to remove all water and asked what he was throwing up. I said he was still throwing up his dinner (and of course, re-eating it :thumbsup: didn't get to the last one in time). Basically they said again to keep an eye on him. I'm checking him every five minutes.

ETA: He was looking for water so I took the chance and let him have three mouthfuls.

Edited by Sheridan

Give him about 2/3 ice cubes in a bowl every hour or so :laugh: That way he gets some moisture, but it is absorbed slowly ...no big pressure on his stomach..plus it gives him something to think about, AND makes YOU feel as if you are doing something positive (which you are, of course)

Hmmm, I don't have any ice cubes! Believe it or not! Don't tend to use them.

Since he's sleeping now why not make some ice cubes for when he wakes up. If you don't have an ice cube container then freeze small amounts of water other small containers....egg cups , small jars etc., a small amount of water in the bottom and it should freeze quickly.

He's much more chirpy now (for a grumpy 12 year old anyway). He's climbed up on my bed and has gone to sleep again. I let him have another drink earlier and will leave out a small thing of water for him overnight. :laugh: Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know how he is in the morning.