Cant Wait?

MegYL

I'm going to get a Yorkshire Terrier (yorkie) in July or June when it's summer and I'm out of school, and frankly, I can't wait at all! I have everything planned out... the name Toby, the gender I want a male, tho my mom may make me get a girl, the bed, the clothes, the Halloween costume, the harness, the toys, EVERYTHING! :o

So now I can't wait at all! The mommy Yorkie goes in heat in April, thats when she gets pregnant, so what can I do to make it seem go by faster? I can't wait!!! Any ideas? My friends are already getting really bored and mad with me because thats all I ever talk about .... :mad

Congratulations, how exciting :laugh:

How about doing as much research as you can on the breed and training. Look up Obedience schools and see whn you can join in puppy pre-school. Look into vets and check out the pricing of desexing and vaccinations so you are well and truely prepared.

Good luck, I hope the time fly's by :laugh:

I don't want to start any arguments, but are you getting him from a registered breeder? Do the parents have all the health tests done?

ETA

Helen posted it a while ago:

See this link, this book comes highly recommended and is available free on the internet, great read even if you already have your pup http://www.siriuspup.com/beforebook.html

Edited by laffi

Yep, go out and buy a few puppy raising books.

The Perfect Puppy and Puppies for Dummies are available a lot of places.

Scope out your local dog club and read up on grooming Yorkies too. It takes effort to keep them looking their best.

If the mother dog goes into heat in April, the pups will be born around June.....you won't have yours until August at least. I would imagine Yorkies only have small litters, they are only tiny dogs, so I hope she has a boy for you.

Yep, you have a good 6 months to kill :(

As others suggested, it's fun doing heaps of research on the breed, and getting puppy books, breed books, reasearching obedience schools, vets etc.

All of the above reduces my excitement until about a week before I pick puppy up, but it also helps that I have other animals I have to conentrate on :rofl: Also, I dont buy leads, collars etc until I have the puppy cos I will just look at them all the time and the waiting then kills me :laugh:

It is very exciting! And for your comments...

Law: I have gotten busy with softball, running club, friends, and school now. If that will make it go faster, then it should be working by now... LOL!

weisnjac: I've picked out my vet, it's the one I have now for my other two girlies. And trust me, I've done research. Lol. I'm not sure if I'll do school tho...

laffi: I honestly dunno if its a registered breeder. Yes, the parents have the health tests. My aunt is the breeder, but IDK if she's handling the puppies ( i think she is, not sure ) or the boy's family.

poodlefan: First off, I have a poodle! I just wanted to tell you, hence your username. Anyway, I have actually gotten Yorkshire Terriers for Dummies and it's a great book and suits me perfectly LOL! I luv the dummie books... I've even gotten a Chihuahua for Dummies book, and I don't even have a chi. LOL.

GayleK: Hm... you're right, I guess it would be early August. Well, I'm sure it'll be a little bit different since my aunt is the breeder and I'll get to visit the puppies all the time, I think every weekend. LOL I'm excited if you cant tell!

BC: LOL, I do have a lot of time, huh. I hadn't realized it would seriously be THAT LONG though.... and true, I'm not buying anything (well, I'm going to get the bed and food and dish bowl and crate before, of course!) <-- besides that before I get the yorkie.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. I pretty much have it down: stay busy, look up the dog more, rely on my other doggies for a while. Another question....

How do I

a) Crate Train the Puppy

b) Train the Puppy to be only mine ( the family has agreed it'll only be mine ).

I know I'm thinking waaaay ahead but I'd like to be prepared, you know?

Hi Meg,

I don't know if you can really "train" the pup to be just yours, it will just happen naturally. If you are the one to feed it, train it, walk it, play with it - then it will simply just recognise you as its pack leader. If you control all its pleasures in life, as above, then the dog will look to you.

You sound very excited, I know it's hard to wait...I couldn't think of anything else before getting my boy!

Good luck :(

How do I

a) Crate Train the Puppy

b) Train the Puppy to be only mine ( the family has agreed it'll only be mine ).

I know I'm thinking waaaay ahead but I'd like to be prepared, you know? [/font]

Please do a search on DOL for crate training, there is truck loads of info on here about that.

The puppy will see everyone in the family as part of the pack, but for you to become the pack leader you will need to do as newnewf said. Make sure you are the one to feed, walk, play, toilet train, obedience train, take to puppy school, and also spend time with puppy alone without the other dogs. Puppy should bond to you more than other members of the family, yet still live happily with everyone in the household :o

"

Im sorry but this is not what owning a dog is about .Dogs should be everyones & for a dog to be well adjusted family member everyone needs to be involved in the raising,welfare & training.The dog needs to be happy to be around everyone & accept everyone .

Often when people smoother a dog to like them only they dog rebels & will often attach itself to other family members who respect them for being a dog .

I personally am not a fan of dressing up dogs.There not barbies there a living animal that deserve to be treated with the respect .

A dog thrives when its treated as such .When babied you take away there identity & often end up with afruitcake dog or one with social issues.

Yorkies are very much peaople dogs & luv strutting there stuff ,doing zoomies.They enjoy life just like a Labrador & treated as such make super pets but via our grooming salon we have dealt with many Yorkies who have been cursed by the dreaded owner who have created social monsters .

read books about being a responsable dog owner & then apply it to your own dog.remember your little yorkie is no different to Great dane.All rules applying to dog training whether they be big or small.

First of, everyone, thanks for the replies!! :rolleyes:

newnewf: Thanks! Thats what I meant, I mean, you know how you have leaders of the pack? Thats the one I'm going to be. I hope you didn't get the wrong impression, that it's ONLY MINE.... I just meant for it to follow me, you know, for it to know I'm the boss.

BC: Thanks! You have great information, it's like I read it out of a book or something LOL... which is a good thing! (-:

Anyway, I know.. it's going to bond with the others. But I'm going to be the official, owner, you know?

settrlvr: your comment has upset me. I know what dogs are about, as I have two, and they turned out just fine. I didn't mean under-socialized, the yorkie will have two other dog sisters, me, my mom, my dad, my sister, my friends, my aunt, my cousin, so on. How is this "under socialized?" I like dressing up dogs. And I don't think they're barbies. I didn't mean JUST MINE, where I don't allow it to contact with anybody else. I worded it wrong. The family agreed I will be the leader, the boss, the official owner. The one who does the work for it like training, feeding, grooming, so on. I never said they were any different from great danes, nor did I make the impression. And I'm not ever going to curse a dog, that's horrible. If this offended you, sorry, but your comment offended Me. I've always been around yorkies and I know how to treat them.

Anyway:: do you think this would be OK??

My little yorkshire terrier when I eventually get him / her, well, me and my friend think her male corgi should be friends with the yorkie when we get the yorkie. Would that be ok? Im sure it would. Curious.

Edited by Meg:D

"The family agreed I will be the leader, the boss, the official owner."

The whole family is the boss,the leader ,what you are is the person who brushes,walks it.

Your dog can be friends with anything as long as both dogs are friendly & the corgi isnt a rough player.

A friends Yorkie died after a cattle dogs tail snapped its kneck whilst playing

The whole family is the boss,the leader ,what you are is the person who brushes,walks it.

Your dog can be friends with anything as long as both dogs are friendly & the corgi isnt a rough player.

Thats what annoys me about this forum, did you really have to mention that.

Meg, ignore the negative comments, take the constructive ones, love your dog and it will work out fine.

Thats what annoys me about this forum, did you really have to mention that.

Meg, ignore the negative comments, take the constructive ones, love your dog and it will work out fine.

I agree BigDaz, Meg is just a young school girl who is very excited about getting a puppy, she asks for some advice & gets comments about Yorkies getting their neck snapped, she's probably been scared off & won't come back now. :laugh:

She is actually from Florida in the USA & I met her on another dog forum. I told her about how good our Australian Dogzonline forum was & invited her to come & have a look, (thought it would be educational & benefical for her)

All I can say is Meg please ignore the negative comments & most members here really do wan't to help. If you read something you don't like just try & ignore it. This forum is really great & you will learn alot here. :laugh:

BigDaz: Thanks. I appreciate your comment... I didn't really want to hear about a neck getting snapped off, now I'm scared of letting the yorkie play with my friend's dog. But I'm sure if I do, nothing bad will happen if we're cautious.

Baileys_mum: Hah, I'm not scared off or anything like that. A little nervous, though. I've already learned a lot, thanks for introducing me. Everyone here is great. ( still addicted to our other dog website though. lol. ) Thank you!

Anyway, Zero is the Corgi's name, and he's really nice and affectionate. So I'm guessing it'd be okay?

Well, I'm also wondering if while I'm at school I can still train the dog, since I'll be going out at 2:10 and leave in the mornings at 7:00. So I was wondering if there'd still be time, and all, because I'm getting it like early August now.

Well, I'm also wondering if while I'm at school I can still train the dog, since I'll be going out at 2:10 and leave in the mornings at 7:00. So I was wondering if there'd still be time, and all, because I'm getting it like early August now.

[/font]

Just a little unsure of what you mean here Meg ?? Do you want to know if you will have time during the day to train your dog even though you will be at school for certain hours ??

If so, sure there is heaps of time. With training at home I try and do only around 5 minutes per day, even less for a little puppy. They dont have a very long attention span and short bursts at a time is the best way, and then they dont become bored and switch off so to speak.

In regards to actualy obedience classes, I'm sure there are weekend classes in the USA as there is here, and puppy schools either on the weekend or of an evening ?? Something for you to check out :laugh:

In regards to playing with the Corgi, just make sure you supervise very closely to see how each of them will react to each other, then continue to supervise play times. You will know if things are getting too rough and should be stopped :laugh:

I have Yorkies and they are feisty little dogs that honestly think they are big dogs.

As much as it may have upset you about the possibility of them being hurt it’s a reality. It can happen very quickly and easily.

You will need to be careful with letting your yorkie play with the corgi and it will need to be supervised play.

Just remember when your Yorkie comes home he will weight anywhere between 800gram to the 1 kilos depending on how old he is when you get him.

My Yorkies are 5yrs old and they still get supervised play with the OES as they only weight 1.8kilos fully grown.

My yorkies are treated the same as the OES, if the OES’s do something that I don’t except they get spoken to and the same goes for the yorkies.

I hate little dogs that are feral and people let then get away with stuff just because they are small.

Enjoy your Yorkie

If giving constructive advice about the damages that can happen to a Yorkie is seen as negative then so be it.

It is the truth & it is something that everyone should be aware off & something i would be very grateful to be made aware off .

Yorkies weight very little & are very fragile but do have the big dog personality.There are people who breed for teacup Yorkies who are smaller still & even more fragile

I am very close with 3 breeders & i am well aware of what Yorkies are & there body structure & the pre cautions that you must be prpepared or the risks your happy to take.

The yorkie whose kneck was snapped was a freak but the power of the other dogs tail wagging hit it in the right spot & it died.It wasnt expected by anyone as the big dog was a gentle giant .

Yorkies are super family pets but one must be very aware that they can break easily & that if you want them to play with other dogs then be very aware that one rough tumble etc etc for a Yorkie can cause damage .

Meg, my 14yo daughter takes our Australian Shepherd male to agility training each Saturday morning and soon she'll be taking our puppy to obedience training as well. She spends a few minutes each day giving the dogs some "formal" training, and lots of time playing with them.

Although I take the boy dog for obedience, he's very mindful of my daughter and he absolutely loves his agility classes with her. It doesn't really take a lot of time for training each day, just a few minutes here and there, and it doesn't even have to be in any special place.

It can even be in your bedroom, and she often takes the puppy to her room and goes through a few commands with her.

Once your puppy has formed a bond with you, training comes naturally as he will want to please you.