Drive Training Workshop

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

generally all dogs have some level of drive, it may be pack, prey food or a different type of drive.

Im going to bring my boy who i suspect has very low levels of prey drive - and its going to be difficult to get him into drive in a foreign environment - but i thought if anyone can Steve can.... :p

i now have 2 spaces available :)

generally all dogs have some level of drive, it may be pack, prey food or a different type of drive.

Im going to bring my boy who i suspect has very low levels of prey drive - and its going to be difficult to get him into drive in a foreign environment - but i thought if anyone can Steve can.... :eek:

i now have 2 spaces available :cheer:

I just didn't want to come and have Steve go 'what a useless cocker' :laugh:

Hes very food motivated but is very stubborn at times.

Is Chopper going to be the smallest dog there :laugh::eek: :eek: He's only 19kgs! Hope he doesn't get little dog syndrome :cheer:

Nah, Ruth, Jake is only 17kg (or 18 kg on "fat days") :laugh:

Around the same weight as me - not!!!!! (triple or quadruple that)

PS I'm bringing a skateboard so no-one is going to look more stupid than me. I pm'd Steve and he said bring it along. Hopefully Jake will perform as normal (ie crazy) and not pretend to be well-behaved.!!

Edited by JakesMum

Guest PixieOfWrath
I just didn't want to come and have Steve go 'what a useless cocker' :cheer:

Hell I would say if you were questioning it, it would be all the more reason to come and hone your skills in bringing out what drive he does have... :laugh:

I just didn't want to come and have Steve go 'what a useless cocker' :laugh:

Hell I would say if you were questioning it, it would be all the more reason to come and hone your skills in bringing out what drive he does have... :eek:

:eek:

Is there a LEAP and WOOF drive? :cheer:

As long as his space isn't crowded by too many dogs at once hes fine. If other dogs respect him as alpha (hard to believe at only 10kg I know) hes fine.

I did think about bringing Top instead, but honestly I would just get far too frustrated. If there was a workshop in increasing brain cells, well I'd be all for that :cheer:

K9: Most dogs wil be hesitant at going full on into drive in a new place, but mostly this workshop is about teaching handlers how to get started with drive training & how to progress, most importantly, what not to do...

The size of the dog doesnt matter either .. lol...

post-1129-1214545627_thumb.jpg

Edited by K9 Force

Thanks AO and Steve for a great day :)

Apologies to everyone else for Chopper's whinging :vomit: In case anyone's wondering, he finally stopped about 10 mins before the end. Maybe I should've put his fancy orange jacket on him earlier :D

Guest PixieOfWrath

Many many thanks to Bridget and Steve, and more again to Kamuzz for letting me take her place!! :vomit:

Apologies to everyone else for Chopper's whinging :) In case anyone's wondering, he finally stopped about 10 mins before the end. Maybe I should've put his fancy orange jacket on him earlier :D

I'm sorry, but Desmo's deafening squealing, wailing, howling and barking when poor Chopper was trying to have his turn was WITHOUT QUESTION the worst carry-on of the day :) He was not impressed at being left in the car while all the other dogs had their turns, but none of you would have been able to hear anything for the rest of the day (indeed the rest of the week once your eardrums had burst) if I'd kept him down on the field with me.

We had a wonderful time and I feel inspired!

Thanks again :) Was lovely to catch up with "old" friends too :)

Many many thanks to Bridget and Steve, and more again to Kamuzz for letting me take her place!! :vomit:
Apologies to everyone else for Chopper's whinging :) In case anyone's wondering, he finally stopped about 10 mins before the end. Maybe I should've put his fancy orange jacket on him earlier :D

I'm sorry, but Desmo's deafening squealing, wailing, howling and barking when poor Chopper was trying to have his turn was WITHOUT QUESTION the worst carry-on of the day :) He was not impressed at being left in the car while all the other dogs had their turns, but none of you would have been able to hear anything for the rest of the day (indeed the rest of the week once your eardrums had burst) if I'd kept him down on the field with me.

We had a wonderful time and I feel inspired!

Thanks again :) Was lovely to catch up with "old" friends too :)

And thank you for taking my place on short notice - glad you had fun (although Desmo may disagree on that score by the sound of things)

Big thanks to Steve and Bridget for an awesome day, I learnt a lot :D

My apologies for his lordships barking, he really is a demanding so-and-so.

Ruthless - Chopper didn't bother me at all, I could barely hear him. But he did look spunky in his orange jacket.

Pixie - Desmo didn't bother me, it was great to see him so enthused!!! He was great to watch in action!

I really cannot thank Bridget and Steve enough. I think the day was great despite montes apparent lack of interest, however i believe that Molly made up for him with a fantastic display of pooh drive, one of the lesser known drives! :love: Not sure how you harness that drive though :D

On a more serious note I do have a question in regard to the differance between prey and food drive as the manifestation of both is very similar ie focusing on the object while displaying obvious arousal. Is the differance purely the trigger/stimuli ie prey =simulated prey item / food= food item or, the drive satisfaction part ie food =eat something/ prey =catch something in your mouth without eating it or, in fact both the trigger and the satisfaction parts of the equation? Is there a chemical difference as to what happens within the dogs brain or purely the trigger and desired outcome? I promise I was listening if this was covered on the day but it is a thought that popped in to my head oin the way home.

Once again thanks to bridget, Steve and all that attended for making Bron, the dogs and me feel very welcome.

I echo everyone's words, my head was buzzing with ideas when I got back to the place we were staying.

I have just got back home from the weekend away and Jake must have been listening has he has gone and found his tug toy! Must have been inspired by Steve's game with him.

Thanks again Steve and Bridget.

PS hoping to find a way to video the skateboard obsession in case anyone feels they missed out on the "show".

Edited by JakesMum