Puppy Suddenly Aggressive Towards Other Dogs

caron

Help please. I have a 4 1/2 month old puppy who I have been taking to puppy kindy since he was 11 weeks old and have never had a problem with him until about 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden for no reason at all he has become aggressive towards other dogs and he is getting worse everyday. He has never really had a bad experience with another dog so I dont know what has happened, any ideas on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I have made such an effort to get it right with Teddy (border collie x golden retriever) and its really upsetting me.

thanks. I might also add that yes he has been desexed

Caron, without someone seeing Teddy, any diagnosis of his agression will be flawed. I'd suggest you book a session with a person qualified in dog behaviour (not just any dog trainer) to have them look at him.

It's good to get professional help, especially nice and early. If you tell us where you are we might be able to recommend someone.

Lots of pups play very roughly, including growing and mouthing but no one will be able to tell you for sure what's going on unless they see your dog.

Caron, without someone seeing Teddy, any diagnosis of his agression will be flawed. I'd suggest you book a session with a person qualified in dog behaviour (not just any dog trainer) to have them look at him.

It's good to get professional help, especially nice and early. If you tell us where you are we might be able to recommend someone.

Lots of pups play very roughly, including growing and mouthing but no one will be able to tell you for sure what's going on unless they see your dog.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have been seriously thinking about getting a dog trainer in. I have already call around to find out obout some in my area (Gold Coast) so If you know anyone that would be great. I really want to get this sorted..

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have been seriously thinking about getting a dog trainer in. I have already call around to find out obout some in my area (Gold Coast) so If you know anyone that would be great. I really want to get this sorted..

You don't want any old dog trainer Caron. You want someone with qualfications and experience with dog aggression. If you get out the local Bark Busters franchisee they could inadvertently make it worse.

It's an interesting crossbreed you've got there. Where did you get him from?

You don't want any old dog trainer Caron. You want someone with qualfications and experience with dog aggression. If you get out the local Bark Busters franchisee they could inadvertently make it worse.

Interesting. Bark busters were one of the first people I called. I got him at the animal welfare league. He's very cute. So how do go about finding the right trainer?

Interesting. Bark busters were one of the first people I called. I got him at the animal welfare league. He's very cute. So how do go about finding the right trainer?

Change the sub-heading of your thread to "Recommendations for a good behaviorist on Gold Coast" or start a new thread. There is a good veterinary behaviourist in Brisbane but the locals should be able to help you out.

yes his name is craig murray. I have been told by numerous people that he is one of the best in the business. I have spoken to him and he says that there definitely a problem. he didn't mention anything about th fear stage.

I'm drawn to:

He has never really had a bad experience with another dog so I dont know what has happened

Has the dog never had a bad experience with another dog or it has had experiences but not bad enough in your opinion to cause aggression?

The smallest thing can set it off. My puppy was yelled at by 2 dogs at a show, pounced on by another dog when he was in a drop position and a strange dog stole his treat at a dog show.....no attack happened but he's not 100% confident around other dogs now.

Caron, I took my pup to a puppy preschool where the trainers were trained under Craig A Murray. I've never met the man and can't comment on his skills directly only those who were trained by him.

My dog was scruffed at his first puppy preschool... scruffed as in lifted off the ground by the skin on the back of his neck unexpectanly which gave him a huge fright and he started screaming. He was doing no wrong other than playing with another dog. Another dog who initated play and rolled over in a submissive position. He was and is a confident dog (not aggresive). No growling or hackles up.

The trainer lifted him off his feet by the scruff of his neck, turned him around to face the trainer she blew into his face. She did eventually put him on the ground in a submissive position with his belly facing upwards where he urinated upon himself. This was a 9 week old confident pup. I left there thinking that it's a new kind of training, something I was told to implement with my dog and if I didn't I could have a dangerous dog on my hands. There was no way I could do this kind of training with my pup. Can I stress that Craig A Murray did not personally do this to my dog.

I was hugely shaken by this experience so I had my puppy assessed by another trainer and was told he is a confident puppy and I will have a good time training him with positive reinforcement.

He was right. We've completed a puppy preschool where human and dog socilisation is the biggest part. As well as food being the positive reinforcement.

We are currently undertaking class one.

I see you are at the Gold Coast but you could contact the person at the Pine Rivers Dog Obedience Club they maybe able to put you in touch with someone in your area.

http://pineriversdoc.server101.com/

If anyone did that to my pup kobblyness I would of picked them up by the scruff

She could of done permanent damage

I was thinking the same but not as politely as you said Peibe

I DOLerised my resonce for sensitive ears storm :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

well yesterday craig murray was here and I must say that I now have a completely different dog and thats just in 24 hrs. alot of you will probably not agree with his methods as he does not use food as a positive reenforcement but correcting unwanted behavior with a quick pop of the lead which to me seemed to be done very well without hurting or distressing teddy, but very affective and always praising good behavior. Craig brought his own dog with him and within 2-3 minutes we had teddy walking past the dog as if it wasn't even there, and that is amazing for Teddy because the past couple of weeks he has been an absolute nightmare. I would definitely recommend him to anyone who is having behavior problems with their dog, not only for aggression but any other doggy problems that we consider inappropriate. In the last 24 hrs I have managed to stop teddy from barking at passes by, Other dogs, sitting on his mat without moving until I say he can, no more excessive licking, and walks on a lead like a well trained dog. AMAZING......

Edited by caron

well yesterday craig murray was here and I must say that I now have a completely different dog and thats just in 24 hrs. alot of you will probably not agree with his methods as he does not use food as a positive reenforcement but correcting unwanted behavior with a quick pop of the lead which to me seemed to be done very well without hurting or distressing teddy, but very affective and always praising good behavior. Craig brought his own dog with him and within 2-3 minutes we had teddy walking past the dog as if it wasn't even there, and that is amazing for Teddy because the past couple of weeks he has been an absolute nightmare. I would definitely recommend him to anyone who is having behavior problems with their dog, not only for aggression but any other doggy problems that we consider inappropriate. In the last 24 hrs I have managed to stop teddy from barking at passes by, Other dogs, sitting on his mat without moving until I say he can, no more excessive licking, and walks on a lead like a well trained dog. AMAZING......

So glad to hear that you had such a positive outcome and that Craig was able to sort Teddy's problem behaviours for you so quickly.