C5 Vacc

mum had to take my dog to the vet the other day for a C5 as we are going away for a weekend soon and the dog has to stay in kennels. The dog is 1 and a half but this is the first booster he has had since puppyhood. After the C5 injection was given the vet said the dog needs to come back in a couple of weeks for another injection which is a booster of the kennel cough component (she said something like that). I want to know why he needs another vaccination and is this really necessary. He had a vaccination for kennel cough when he was 6 months and it was only one injection, so im wondering why we need 2 injections with this one?

Sure it was a C5 he was given? Sounds more like he had a C3. What does it say on his vaccination card.

Sounds more like the vet has treated him as a dog that has never been vaccinated before and has given him a puppy vaccination schedule. They start off with giving a C3 then a few weeks later they will give a C5.

Sure it was a C5 he was given? Sounds more like he had a C3. What does it say on his vaccination card.

Sounds more like the vet has treated him as a dog that has never been vaccinated before and has given him a puppy vaccination schedule. They start off with giving a C3 then a few weeks later they will give a C5.

I think the vet put the stickers with C5 verbac on there. I will check it out but I know mum took the dogs previous vaccination card from the breeder with her so I dont think the vet would have treated him as a dog that has never been vaccinated before :confused:

Edited by ncarter

Strange. So this was your dogs yearly vaccination? Should just be a straight out C5. That is the most normal vaccination to give. Really does seem like the vet is treating your dog as an unvaccinated one and following the puppies vaccination schedule.

I know that when I have rescues that the vet usually treats them like they haven't ever been vaccinated or haven't for a long time, unless we know the dogs history. The same schedule as puppies 2nd and 3rd vaccinations.

Puppies vaccination schedule:

6-8 weeks C3

10 weeks C5

12 weeks Kennel Cough booster (C5)

Edited by puggy_puggy

Sounds to me like he is paying off a new Mercedes!

oh thanks guys I shall ask the vet what is the reasoning behind the need for the next shot and I wont get it if there is no reason for it.

Edited by ncarter

Strange. So this was your dogs yearly vaccination? Should just be a straight out C5. That is the most normal vaccination to give. Really does seem like the vet is treating your dog as an unvaccinated one and following the puppies vaccination schedule.

I know that when I have rescues that the vet usually treats them like they haven't ever been vaccinated or haven't for a long time, unless we know the dogs history. The same schedule as puppies 2nd and 3rd vaccinations.

Puppies vaccination schedule:

6-8 weeks C3

10 weeks C5

12 weeks Kennel Cough booster (C5)

it turns out the vet was treating my dog like a puppy. when I got the c5 done at 6 months they only gave him one shot, they didnt tell me he needed to come back for another one 2 weeks later. I only got this done anyway because I needed for obedience training. Now that ive got the first C5 do I need to go back for the kennel cough booster? im just confused by it all..

Makes sense now. He obviously only had 2 shots as a puppy instead of the normal 3. They usually have 1 whilst with the breeder then 2 when they are in their new home.

I am really not sure if you need to take him for his 2 shot in this course. Some may say no but I would err on the side of caution and get it done.

I am speaking from the rescue side of things where we get dogs that we have no idea of their vaccination history so they will get the 2 shot course. Usually they have the first vaccination whilst in care of the rescue then their new owners will usually get the Kennel Cough booster.

Your dog would have had 2 needles a C4 Vacc then the Kennel cough needle (C5)Because you had the kennel cough needle you need to have a booster for your dog to be covered for kennel cough otherwise it is not considered Vacc for kennels.

If you had the intra-nasal C5 vacc you do not need a booster for 12mths.

Edited by sheree_e4