How To Put Weight On A Dog?

Hi there,

I have a cavalier, and she is 15 months old, i and her breeders would like to see her wih a bit more weight on her. Though at times she is a very picky eater, example: this morning she turned her nose up to breakfast and at dinner time she did the same, so after about 10 minutes i sat beside her and held her bowl, ( i know the totally wrong thing to do), she is fed a diet of barf patties, chicken necks, wing tips, egg, sardines, and royal canin, this is all over a week...

Would love to here how i can improve her apetite, i have heard there is some foods that can do that, but can not for the life of me remember what it is... Kidney??? Liver??

Help

It is usually Tonsillitis in Cavaliers that causes "fussy eaters"........Cure it by putting 1 drop of Iodine in milk each day for 10 days..........Iodine is toxic, it is ONE drop..........Antibiotics will not cure it.

To make her eat go to the chemist & get Periactin tablets, give her half a tablet 45 minutes before her dinner......The side effect of these antihistimines is HUNGER.........completely safe to use daily, you can not overdose a dog on them.

Well first off all stop enabling her to be a fussy eater,by hand feeding her you are not teaching her about eating ,she has trained you to what she wants.

Personally if its a tonsil issue we get them out.

Cavies seem to belong to sides,fussy/pigs.

I wouldnt be too worried about fatten her up but more worried about re educating her eating habits.all the fattest type of food will be off no avail if she doesnt eat consitantly.

With fussy/picky eaters our belief is start basic & plain the more you add the less likely they are to eat it.

Start to be in charge if she doesnt eat today dont hand feed,dont over do the variety & feed smaller portions & above all dont panic.The bigger the deal you make out of it the more the dog feels the disappointment in you at her not eating.

What foods has she eaten on a regular basis??

Well first off all stop enabling her to be a fussy eater,by hand feeding her you are not teaching her about eating ,she has trained you to what she wants.

Personally if its a tonsil issue we get them out.

Cavies seem to belong to sides,fussy/pigs.

I wouldnt be too worried about fatten her up but more worried about re educating her eating habits.all the fattest type of food will be off no avail if she doesnt eat consitantly.

With fussy/picky eaters our belief is start basic & plain the more you add the less likely they are to eat it.

Start to be in charge if she doesnt eat today dont hand feed,dont over do the variety & feed smaller portions & above all dont panic.The bigger the deal you make out of it the more the dog feels the disappointment in you at her not eating.

What foods has she eaten on a regular basis??

Hi Settrlv,

Firstly i know i was doing the wrong thing hand feeding her, i will stop this straight away. I would say the foods she gets fed more often are barf patties, chicken necks, dry food (royal canin). I feed her two meals a day instead of one, i just half her daily food into two meals. I would apreicated any help on how to get started on a plain and basic diet. I just don't like to see her not eat. I would pressume a vet can check her tonsil's...

Cathy

Just gave her breakfast, half a barf pattie, and she wont even go near her bowl, i have left her in with her breakfast, (in the kitchen) and have walked away...

Edited by MissMolly

Vets can check Tonsils but often there is an odour from there mouth aswell & normally the seem to have spells off being unwell,flat.

Is she spayed?? some bitches are hormonal pains with eating.

You can certainly try the anti histamines but obviously you dont to do this forever.

What i would buy is some nutrigel which has all the vitiams & encourages appetite,even check out your local health shop on appetite

options.

Have you tried feeding each one seperate to see if there is one product she doesnt like which puts her off her meal??

Maybe the royal canin isnt for her??

I would also maybe ask the breder if they could have her a few days to see if she eats with competition .

I would try plain chicken cooked or just warmed.Lamb again raw or slightly warmed

Baby farex & goats milk

Tin puppy(may not be perfect but re teaching eating habits means often using the occasional product we dont like.

In Wa we use Tuckertime roll(garlic) the dogs luv it & most fussy eaters hoover it