Food Aggressive Puppy

peibe

Peibe Im gonna ask this on the rescue forum I chat on and post the link .. hope you dont mind and see what answers some of them come up with... some are very good with tips about training and behavioural issues.

Ive seen this it too and would like to know how to go about dealing with it and possible reasons as to why at early ages.

ETA I had a little bit of it with some pups I rescued and their mum was still with them... they had been starved though but even after a month they didnt settle the way I had thought they might.

All perfectly natured now though.

Edited by BomaBec

Well I have been sitting with Neptune while they eat their bones and patting him, telling him he is a good boy etc

He finshes first so then I put him in a sit and pat him, cuddle him and make him feel really special for not going near his sister

If he moves towards her he gets a loud growly NO and put back in a sit

He sat and watched her eat this morning, then he moved the opposite direction from her and brought me a tennis ball to play fetch

Fingers crossed

Post it anywhere BB

Peibe I posted it and the answer I got back is to feed them seperately and its just usual dominance issues with showing whos the alpha dog. Where the mum isnt around you have to be the mum and show them you are the alpha in the pack and that goes for not only for food but anything of high value ie toys of theirs or attention from humans ect.

In this case its the food as they have had oor nutrition in the past.

So sounds like your on the right track anyways... good luck :laugh:

My pugs would kill eachother if I didn't didn't supervise food time or boney time and I would never dream of letting them each unsupervised.

I have found that a spray bottle does wonders when they stray from their own bowl or bone. They know they shouldn't be wanting to check out what the others have. I have had up to 6 pugs all eating harmoniously with the spray bottle techinique.

Thanks for that BB

I am pleased to say that Neptune is coming on in leaps and bounds

He is now off the tie up at dinner time and will wolf down his dinner and then come to me for pats while I tell him how good he is and how nice he is etc

He does still look at Missy's bowl but will not move if I say no

He eats his bones slower now and when finished will snuggle into me for a cuddle while Missy finishes hers

It is a big relief

I am not saying he is out of the woods, but he is responding well to voice incouragement and lots of attention

ETA, BB I do not like feeding them seperately, I have read that it creates more food aggression and does not really solve the issue

Edited by peibe

I too am so glad I gave him a chance

He is so lovely, rolls over on his back for tummy rubs and so wants to please, he loves to lean on you and get attention so much that getting a good rub is better than food

Such a smart little boy, there has to be Border Collie in him, he has that brain LOL

He also kills tennis balls, I have never had a pup so young rip apart tennis balls

I think it was erny (not 100%) that wrote a post a long time ago about feeding dogs seperately is wrong, I cannot remember the exact reasons why but it made alot of sense

I think it was erny (not 100%) that wrote a post a long time ago about feeding dogs seperately is wrong, I cannot remember the exact reasons why but it made alot of sense

I don't recall that as being me (as much as I'd like to take credit for making a lot of sense :().

In effect, what you have been doing is feeding them separately - the difference is that you are creating an invisible barrier merely by your presence. In some cases, a more tangible barrier is required in the name of safety for each dog. In other cases, feeding each in a (eg) separate room (with doors open) is 'separate' enough. The latter is what I always have done when another dog has come to 'visit'. But I'm not very far away to create the remaining invisible barrier preventing each from entering the other's 'room' until feeding has finished. When I have been engaged to 'mind' others' dogs (ie going to their place to feed) I have always hung around while their dogs ate, again creating that 'invisible barrier' (regardless of whether people have told me the dogs are fine in these circumstances or not). IMO, these are all varying degrees of 'feeding separately'.

Edited by Erny

Sorry erny, it must not have been you

Someone posted that feeding dogs together and supervising them created more problems

I will try to find it, might of even been poodlefan? Sorry I keep implicating people

We had success last night

Late night dinner for the pups last night, I got home at 7.30 and put some chicken mince, pureed veges, egg shell, flax seed oil etc into their bowls with a small lamb strip on top, placed them into the puppy pen and walked inside. I stood just inside the door to see what would happen

Neptune finished his dinner first and then SAT yes SAT and watched Missy finished hers and walk away before he went to inspect her bowl

I made such a fuss over him he ran away from me after 2 minutes LOL

I think I have gotten through to him

I am pleased with myself and him LOL

I am so glad I followed my gut instinct with him

It has paid off

Yesterday they had beef bones, he ate his first then got his tennis ball and played ball with me until Missy had finished, he did not go near her at all