Beginnings Of Fear Agression

Hi all,

Most of you would know that Chelsea was badly attacked a few weeks ago, she's healing well now and I've started taking her out for short walks.

Whenever she encounters another dog, she lunges hard on the lead (she doesn't give a stuff about the prong), she will bark at dogs on the other side of the road. This is concerning enough to me, but this morning a loose tan coloured dog (of similar look to the one that attacked her) walked past the house and she went totally nuts, ignoring all commands, hackles up and barking at this other dog - it took a good 5 minutes to stop her barking which was long after the dog was gone, she was still highly aroused 15 minutes later.

I took her outside and did some fast paced obedience work with her in the backyard by way of distraction and she settled eventually, but was highly distracted even in the yard (with no view of the street outside)

I need to get this sorted before it becomes a big problem. Where can I get help?

I had reasonable focus from Chelsea around other dogs previously, not perfect, but good enough to compete at the obedience club with no problems. As to around other dogs, I've always been nervous around loose dogs as many people around here have absolutely no control of their dogs off lead.

Edited by ChelseasMum

CM - really sorry you've had to go through this. Unfortunately Chelsea will be picking up on your nervousness too - but I'm sure you're aware of that. Good luck - I hope you find the solution!

I like to take my young, entire Dally for an off-leash run several times a week but try to go to the beach early in the morning to avoid idiot dog owners. However, occasionally we do meet a dog that wants to have a go at my lad.....so I growl and roar at the dog to go away in no uncertain terms - the dogs always stop in shock (as do their owners) and Ziggy now looks to me to take control of the situation instead of having to step up and defend himself. He's a big sook and I like it that way :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil