Pet Mince From Chicken Shop

I also buy from the Chicken shop in Airport West. Fantastic. I have bought from the Leonards shop that was at Westfield Airport west and found onion and seasoning in it. It was awful. Have to agree with Tangerine Dream, my dogs and cats all love it.

Whole chickens are minced, bones. everything (excluding feathers and feet I guess!). They use the undersized and the bruised etc. Supposed to be preservative free, and I think it is - nice and fresh.

I feed whole miinced chickens from my pet food supplier as well. It is vaccuum sealed and I use it within a week of buying it. It smells fresh and the dogs love it. I've never had a problem even with the dog who is allergic to almost everything.

I bought a coule of kg's of chicken mince from Lenards once. Won't do it again.

I bought it for the ferrets and dogs. I opened the bag as soon as I got home (not like it was left in the car for long) and the stench was disgusting. Not much makes me feel sick, but this smell was feral. It also had large bone chunks that I wouldn't have fed to my dogs or ferrets either. It went straight in the bin. From then on I have bought human grade mince for the kids.

I had the same problem as Sir WJ with Leonards chicken frames. Disgusting. I only live around the corner so I returned them. This Leonards has now closed but before they did, they told me that the frames and pet mince is delivered to them. They did not process in the shop. The frames and mince were packaged elsewhere. Maybe a lot has to do with the transport and handling prior to the items even arriving at the shop. I don't know if they all do this but the stuff I got was awful.

I have bought from Lenards, but now I buy from a pet meat shop.

Whole chickens are minced, bones. everything (excluding feathers and feet I guess!). They use the undersized and the bruised etc. Supposed to be preservative free, and I think it is - nice and fresh.

I worked at a processing plant for a short time and unfortunately there are lots of unexpected goodies going into the mincer. I dropped a knife on the wrong belt once, it made a heck of a noise but the mincer got it in the end! While some whole pieces and meat go in it was mostly fat and bone. Undersized were not killed. It was pretty foul (no pun intended) seeing what was dropped in on a busy day.

I used to feed chicken mince but after seeing first hand what goes in for pet supply - no way.

:kissbetter: Please, please, please tell me they didn't drop in live chickens if they were too small??? I'm really hoping I've read that wrongly!!!! :kissbetter:

We get our frames for $1kg at Lenards, we have to ring up a day in advance so they have enough for us as we usually buy about 50kg at one time, the frames are good, they still have alot of meat on them to they arent picked clean. Dogs LOVE them, but even though we tried mince from there and it was made in front of us the dogs hated it

We just bought 10kg chicken mince for $10 at a chicken factory in Maryborough, it looks and smells better than Lenards but the dogs still arent keen, so we'll just stick to whole frames and only beef mince

We have been chasing up a mincer to do fresh kangaroo/rabbit meat and bones and cow meat, and we've been told the only mincers able to do it are the professional ones for around $700+

I too have brought from Leonards human as well as pet mince and both have had an off smell by reachinf home ALSO one lady at the dog school feed her dog the pet mince and her dog got sick and she took it to the vet and by then it was bleeding interanally and died whereby they found a chicken splinter had torn a hole in it's stomach .No mince for my dogs !!!

Glorybea

I have bought from Lenards, but now I buy from a butcher shop. I found Lenards mince was getting a lot more fatty than they use to be. Hard to find a good Lenards supplier now.

My butcher shop is in Bendigo and I see him making the mince. He has a TV screen where its all done. He told me he makes it for all the greyhound owners around Bendigo and there is never enough supply. You have to be lucky to get a few bags. I buy it for the month.

I had the same problem as Sir WJ with Leonards chicken frames. Disgusting. I only live around the corner so I returned them. This Leonards has now closed but before they did, they told me that the frames and pet mince is delivered to them. They did not process in the shop. The frames and mince were packaged elsewhere. Maybe a lot has to do with the transport and handling prior to the items even arriving at the shop. I don't know if they all do this but the stuff I got was awful.

Whole chickens are minced, bones. everything (excluding feathers and feet I guess!). They use the undersized and the bruised etc. Supposed to be preservative free, and I think it is - nice and fresh. I mix it with the veges and other goodies and when I give to to them, it's gone in a flash. They have beef bones as well - some nights are mince and vege nights, some are bones nights. I find it very difficult to buy frames at a decent price, so this suits me well.

My butcher also minces frames, but he sometimes minces "off" chicken (as I find when I open the bags) and it's very fatty, although only $1 kg, so I usually buy the better stuff from the pet food shop.

Jed, careful about what you do buy from pet shops. I would not even accept it if it was given to me for free. They do use Sulphur Dioxide and as soon as the meat appears to change colour and starts to look off they add even more SD. They may deny it but it is a fact. There was a story on Today, Tonight some time ago in which a lady nearly lost her beloved golden retriever due to a SD overload which causes a severe Thiamine deficiency and they advised not to buy from such places.

Here is a website that provides more info on this subject:

http://www.kangaroo-protection-coalition.c...roopetmeat.html

Edited by Ali Baba

I worked at a processing plant for a short time and unfortunately there are lots of unexpected goodies going into the mincer. I dropped a knife on the wrong belt once, it made a heck of a noise but the mincer got it in the end! While some whole pieces and meat go in it was mostly fat and bone. Undersized were not killed. It was pretty foul (no pun intended) seeing what was dropped in on a busy day.

I used to feed chicken mince but after seeing first hand what goes in for pet supply - no way.

I am confused by your post - if whole chickens are minced then why would you then say that the mince mostly consists of "fat and bone"? I'm sure we would all like to know what it is that is "dropped in on a busy day"? I have a friend working in a chicken processing place and he told me that they just mince entire chickens (excluding feather, feet and bowels as the chickens are slaughtered elsewhere) so what could be so foul about it all?

If you think that mince from a chicken processing place is foul then imagine what goes into tinned or dry food, lol :rolleyes:

Guest The Warden

Our local butcher now minces it for me and doesn't add anything to it. So I just buy 10kg of frames, 10kg of whole chickens and he'll mince it for me while I wait for $2.

I think that's a pretty good way to do it.

Mince is good for being able to measure/weigh meals out for dogs who you are trying to slim down. They are bad because they don't clean teeth or provide work.

Chicken frames are good for cleaning teeth. They are hard to portion out, especially for small dogs. They are normally enjoyed when chewed.

Both have a high bone-meat content (more bone than meat!) and so should be fed alongside more meaty meals.

Guest The Warden

yeah thats why I use half entire chickens, and also use some beef mince - generally chicken one day and beef the next. They also get at least 1 chicken neck a day and get random bones whenever I buy them from the butcher.

I am going to start feeding veges as well. For ages I didn't as my theory was that wild dogs don't raid cabbage patches but then the sibe folk reminded me that they would eat animals who had veges in their stomachs.

Guest Tess32
yeah thats why I use half entire chickens, and also use some beef mince - generally chicken one day and beef the next. They also get at least 1 chicken neck a day and get random bones whenever I buy them from the butcher.

I am going to start feeding veges as well. For ages I didn't as my theory was that wild dogs don't raid cabbage patches but then the sibe folk reminded me that they would eat animals who had veges in their stomachs.

Actually wolves and wild dogs usually just shake out the stomach contents and eat the lining, leaving most of the vegetable mush behind unless it's a small prey like a rabbit. :D

Guest The Warden

Rabbits were the Animal that was used when they told me :rofl: (Rabbits like to steal from vegetable gardens you see.)

Well then. I don't know :confused: They already get carrot and apples for treats. That's probably enough anyway.