Yeast Infection

we have an older blind dog in care who is scratching non stop. The vet diagnosed a yeast infection and said washing with Malaseb should clear it up. Doesn't seem to be improving at all. Even though she has been vet checked as healthy she has also started peeing inside and drinking more. I dont' know if the two are related.

She is also living with a bird and I was thinking maybe bird mites but vet said definitely a yeast infection.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Does she eat grains & rice etc...........most dog foods contain cereal, grains, pasta, rices, corn etc..........Cut out ALL of these things, feed fresh raw meat & bones & give apple cider Vinegar & Kelp daily, also fish oil capsules & evening primrose capsules daily.

One of my german shepherds used to have yeast infection.I too bathed her in malaseb but it didn't really help that much and she used to smell quite soon after her bath as well.

I changed her diet to Nutro Lamb and Rice and after about 6-8 weeks she stopped scratching :) I truley believe the change in diet did it for her as well as adding Healthy Paws skin supplement

I can't help with the skin condition but I suggest another vet check with the new knowledge on drinking/weeing. Diabetes and Kidney Disease need to be ruled out asap. As a urine sample is the first step checking for either condition take a sample with you, makes it much easier.

Are you leaving the Malaseb on for at least 10 minutes before rinsing it off. The scratching won't go immediately but will take a few treatments.

You could do a rinse in cold chamomile tea - it has a soothing effect on the skin.

For itches and any fungus type skin problems I'd always bath my dogs in Vetadine which is an iodine animal wash from most vets. I now use it 99% of the time as water is often limited and it doesn't need rinsing out. The slight orange/brown staining on white feet etc only lasts a few hours. (Turns silver rings black for a few days)

I'd get a diabetes & UTI tests done on the dog for the extra water intake if the problem continues after the settling in period.

Hope you can get it sorted out quickly.

Very, Very hard to get rid of yeast infection.

Are you washing every day ?.

Wash every day for a week, then every second day for a week, then

every third day etc tills its gone.

Also use in the ears. 30Ml in 500 ml of water and use as an ear wash.

Don't forget between the toes, under the pads, under elbows, under the

flanks and under the tail.

Also don't be mean with the Malaseb. Leave on for 10 minutes, then wash off.

Hope this is of help.

Also follow above diet from Cavandra

Edited by oakway

thanks for the advice - I will check how the malaseb is being applied, and begin looking at diet as well.

Peeing may be disorientation as she has only been in her new home a few days, but will check it out if it keeps happening.