Neomycin Sulfate

My ACD successfully managed to stab herself in the eye with a stick. When it started bleeding we rushed off to the Vet. ;)

The Vet did all the appropriate tests and decided there was no major damage. She prescribed the above ointment, brand known as Tricin. It is an antibiotic ointment and is used so no infection develops.

Being good dog owners we applied the ointment. Over a period of time the eye swelled and there was acute redness. We assumed it was the initial injury so continue applying the ointment, thinking we were doing the right thing. The next morning it was worse. :)

We rushed to the Vet and thankfully she had just read a paper on possible side effects of Neomycin Sulfate. We determined that it was probably not the injury but the medication we were applying which was causing the horrible reaction.

This is not to say all dogs would have this reaction but be aware that it could be the medication which is causing the problem and not the injury. Thankfully we have a good Vet who keeps up with the latest research. Also if we had assumed that it was the injury which was causing the swelling and we continued to apply the ointment we could have caused untold damage.

She is now beside me with an Elizabethan collar, so hopefully should inproved over the next 48 hours.

Sometimes thinking outside the square is the best solution!!! ;)

To me it sounds as though the eye ulcerated.

The old way of treating it was to stitch the eye closed until it healed and to use an antibiotic treatment.

I assume your Vet knows what they are doing though but...................