Bears 3rd Ear Infection

Hey guys, Bears got another infected ear, noticed he was shaking his head like mad and scratching his ears, it was quite hot, so straight away I cleaned it out, and applied an antibiotic ear drop into.

Its pretty messy but ill continue to clean it out and add drops, if its not cleared or appears better by this arvo, he's off to the vets.

He's just been sleeping alot more than usual and moping around

Anyone else have this problem?

My vet gave me a double prescription for his ear infection a couple of months ago, he only used one bottle, Ive another bottle left that I have been using on him, along with an ear cleaner she recommended from the chemist, (swimmers ear for humans).

He is booked in to go to the vets at lunch time this arvo.

(swimmers ear for humans).

Be careful with fluids. I know it was rec'd by a vet but wetting the ears can worsen the infection.

My gsd had acute ear infections and it was an ongoing battle to do tests to work out the cause.

Not to mention the fact that their ears are not like ours.

Perhaps look at getting another opinion.

hth

Thanks guys for your response, Lucien's Mum she gave me a spray that drys up all the fluid after swimming, and told me its exactly the same as the ones at the chemist, I really like this vet and will be having another good chat to her in 20mins.

puggy_puggy I will also be enquiring as to how and how often I can clean out his ears that is safe for him.

Thank you again guys, we're off to the docs so will fill you in when we get back.. :)

Thanks guys for your response, Lucien's Mum she gave me a spray that drys up all the fluid after swimming, and told me its exactly the same as the ones at the chemist, I really like this vet and will be having another good chat to her in 20mins.

puggy_puggy I will also be enquiring as to how and how often I can clean out his ears that is safe for him.

Thank you again guys, we're off to the docs so will fill you in when we get back.. :)

Ohh make sure that they take a swab and check it under the microscope. Which I am sure they will do anyway.

Finally back from the vets after waiting a half hr for hubby to come tow me home as my batteries gone flat

Anyways the vet has kept him on the antinflamatory drops that I was initailly using, (sorry I said it was an antibiotic drop but its actually an antinflammatory drop)

He has an ulser right in his drum/canal which should heal pretty soon.

She has also put him on a course of antibiotics as the poor little bugger has a fair bit of discharge, and was told to give him a couple of corts for pain relief.

She said it was due to water - fluid getting in and then building up eventually resulting in puss and all sorts, she told me off for letting him swim and not cleaning his ears out properly.

I took it like any sad sorry mother would, felt terrible but have learnt for next time, no more swims for him anyway...its too cold

She showed me how to do it properly and suggested cleaning them out once a week with ear cleaner, a quick squirt with the drops and twist of the old cotten ball.

She's so great, I love her, (even though she told me off) she explained what to look for, and what steps to take when he begins at the smelly stage, right through to when he will finally need to come see her.

Thanks for your responses

BnB

When there is no more infection or broken skin, I'd consider using an alcohol based cleaner if you can after he has been swimming. The alcohol will help to dry any residual fluid and will evaporate itself so as not to add to the problem. If there is no broken skin or inflammation, it will not hurt the ear or the dog at all.

Hey BnB!

Long time no speak, sorry to hear poor ol' Bear has ear issues!

Here is something from another list I am on - I used it with my old boy Hamish before he passed. He had recurring ear infections for 15 months, poor thing, but the following did help heaps.

After months of problems with one of Hunter's ears, it is finally

clear of amy problem.

The mixture which has worked is as follows, and is an adaption of one

posted earlier on this site, and modified with the assistance of the

chemist at Porirua Supachem who said he used to make a mixture

himself, and supply it to Vets. So he knew about dog's ears.

The mixture is inexpensive, and the ingedients are readily available

at a chemist. It cost about $11.00 for the two items.

Isopropyl alcohol (this comes in a small bottle)

Water

Betadine liquid

Mix 30% Isopropyl Alcohol and 70% water. Add a few drops of Betadine.

Use a dropper to insert into the ear. Massage and wipe out gently

with a cotton pad. Insert another lot and leave. I did this morning

and night for a week, then just the mornings for a couple of weeks,

then reduced to just one application and massage in the morning for a

week.

Hunter's ear now seems totally clear of all problems.

I had tried vinegar & water for about a month, but it only reduced

the problem, didn't cure completely.

Good luck!

:laugh:

Yes, the recipe is an adaptation of the Blue Power recipe which uses Gentian Violet instead of the Betadine. Another variation is to use Witch Hazel instead of the Betadine.

HOWEVER, do NOT use this recipe whilst the ears are still open and sore or you will cause untold pain to the dog. Alcohol BURNS a raw wound!!!

:laugh: