Beef Liver-how Do I Dry It In The Oven?

4 Paws

Gosh NO, :scared: are you trying to get rid of your family :laugh:

Better off using a dehydrator and even then pop into in the garage if you have a powerpoint in there. :eek:

hell yes,kids are being a pain LOL

Thought it may smell,maybe ditch that idea than

Gosh NO, :scared: are you trying to get rid of your family :laugh:

Better off using a dehydrator and even then pop into in the garage if you have a powerpoint in there. ;)

Yep, dehydrator in the garage is the best thing to use.

It stinks :eek:

Maybe you could try putting some thinly sliced pieces on paper towel and dry it in your microwave oven

Cut it into small pieces (like 1cm or less square) and boil it first, then it doesn't stink quite so bad if you want to dry it in the oven.

Better yet - make liver cake which doesn't stink at all. Puree however much liver you have in a blender. Add enough flour to make it really sticky and thick like scone or bread dough, add an egg if you want to, add some garlic if you want to. When it's mixed, spread it on a flat baking sheet about 1cm thick or so and bake it in a slow oven (150 degrees is heaps) until it's dry all over. Cut into bits and freeze in a bag, you can get out a handful when you need, thaws out in about 2 minutes. You can pull bits off very easily. Only problem is, you probably don't want to hold it in your mouth like some people do with dried liver. You can make this same thing with any sort of pureed meat or fish.

Cut it up, put it onto a plate, turn a bowl upside down over the top of it and nuke it. Takes 1/4 of the time and the smell clears more quickly as well.

thanks for that hint ellz,might give it a try tomorrow when I can air the house out easily.

How long should it take in the microwave and at what power level?

I usually poach the whole liver (or lambs fry) - this makes it easier to slice as it's firm.

Then I slice it thinly, about half a centimetre. I lay the slices on a baking sheet (or two) lined with baking paper and cook in a slow oven (140 - 150) for an hour or two, until completely dry. To overcome the smell of liver baking I put a few sprigs of fresh rosemary on the baking trays with the liver.

When the liver is finished I store it an a plastic container in the fridge. It lasts for weeks.

Once the liver cooking is over I add more rosemary to a baking dish with hot water and put it in the hot oven. It seems to get rid of the liver smell and the house smells of rosemary.