Cooking For Your Dog

Hi fellow dog lovers,

I sometimes cook for my dog, meals include say raw steak cut up, raw beef and chicken mince, raw chicken thighs cut up and added with cooked vegetables and either rice or pasta. I also sometimes add chicken wings and necks uncooked. She gets bones a few times a week and a few small treats during our walks. She usually gets biscuts in the morning (few cups) and a portion of those big sausge loaf things for dogs but I would prefer not to give her them at all as I know they are full of a lot of water and are bad off cuts of meat etc.

I was thinking though, am I doing the right thing when I am cooking for her because I would like to cook for her all the time? Is there something though if I am to cook for her all the time that I need to add to provide her with the right vitamins and balanced diet she needs? People always comment on how healthy she looks but I would just like to know if I am doing the right thing and if anyone has any recipes they would be willing to share. I have also wondered if other meat items like kidney and liver are ok for dogs?

I hear that garlic isn't good for dogs, is this true and is there anything harmful to dogs?

Thanks in advance :laugh:

Ben and Lucy (the dog)

Edited by Lucy'sRun

Hi...

You are obviously wrapped around her little paw :laugh:

She doesn't need cooked food at all :laugh:

She also doesn't need rice and pasta....or very much vegetable :laugh:

Dogs do very well on raw food, and enjoy food which they have to chew and 'work' at to get a full tummy.

Why do you cut her food up? She is a fit healthy dog, she can chew large chunks of meat quite wel, I'm sure!

She sounds very much loved, but remember, she is a dog.

Have a read here :laugh: There are recipes for raw food...need some preparation, but no cooking.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...351&hl=BARF

Guest Tess32

When you mean 'cook' do you just mean prepare your own food as opposed to buying kibble?

A raw diet is very healthy for most dogs, IMO, the healthiest :laugh:

Many of us here give plenty of raw meaty bones, as well as muscle meat and offal and fish. Some of us give vegetables (juiced up and raw).

Ditch the rice and pasta, it is filler for a dog and not needed :laugh:

As the others have said have a read of the BARF diet and ditch the rice, pasta and horrible dog loaf.

Will the BARF diet vegtables & fruit are generally pulped up.

I feed my dogs BARF slops every day that consist of vegtables, fruit and whole eggs that have been pulped up in the food processor. (some BARF slops contain liver or minced meat but I choose not to add this to my slops) I then have a rotating menu that goes with the slops consisting of chicken necks, kangaroo chunks, lamb chunks, liver, sardines, yoghurt and beef. I also feed bones at least twcie a week.

Guest Tess32

Have a good google of raw feeding dogs, BARF, prey model etc, so you understand WHY you're feeding certain things and can work out a balanced diet. Or ask here and people will answer your questions.

Hi fellow dog lovers,

I sometimes cook for my dog, meals include say raw steak cut up, raw beef and chicken mince, raw chicken thighs cut up and added with cooked vegetables and either rice or pasta. I also sometimes add chicken wings and necks uncooked. She gets bones a few times a week and a few small treats during our walks. She usually gets biscuts in the morning (few cups) and a portion of those big sausge loaf things for dogs but I would prefer not to give her them at all as I know they are full of a lot of water and are bad off cuts of meat etc.

I was thinking though, am I doing the right thing when I am cooking for her because I would like to cook for her all the time? Is there something though if I am to cook for her all the time that I need to add to provide her with the right vitamins and balanced diet she needs? People always comment on how healthy she looks but I would just like to know if I am doing the right thing and if anyone has any recipes they would be willing to share. I have also wondered if other meat items like kidney and liver are ok for dogs?

I hear that garlic isn't good for dogs, is this true and is there anything harmful to dogs?

Thanks in advance :D

Ben and Lucy (the dog)

Just want to give some info regarding the "garlic".

I've read some article and they said Garlic is good for a dog.

It's can make the better anti body.

it's also a natural antibiotic and can cleaned the Hot spot in the skin.

Please correct me if there is something wrong with that article.

See ya,

Hi fellow dog lovers,

Thanks in advance :angel:

Ben and Lucy (the dog)

Just want to give some info regarding the "garlic".

I've read some article and they said Garlic is good for a dog.

It's can make the better anti body.

it's also a natural antibiotic and can cleaned the Hot spot in the skin.

Please correct me if there is something wrong with that article.

See ya,

I dont know if dogs should be fed garlic but I just read that its good as a flea repellent if sprayed around... if you can stand the smell that is

:D

Garlic is in the onion family so therefore is not good for dogs.

I have fed garlic to dogs. I was told it would get rid of flees.

I fed those dogs garlic right, left and centre. Its a miracle I did not kill the dogs with

garlic.

Never did get rid of the fleas. :laugh:

Edited by oakway

Garlic is in the onion family so therefore is not good for dogs.

I have fed garlic to dogs. I was told it would get rid of flees.

I fed those dogs garlic right, left and centre. Its a miracle I did not kill the dogs with

garlic.

Never did get rid of the fleas. :offtopic:

Hi Oakway,

Red Onion is very bad for a dog but Garlic is ok.

I always give my lab 2 small piece of garlic / week. She loved it.

especially the winter is coming. I will put more and give her twice a week in winter.

See ya,

update:

I went to my local butcher and brought some minced up chicken carcus etc for $2.50 (bit steep), chicken necks for the same price, beef mince for $6kg, bones for $4kg and chicken wings for $4kg. A little pricey so I will try leonards next time for the chicken. I mixed it portioned with half cooked veges and only a little rice and pasta and she loved it !!!

Still unsure on the garlic so I will leave it for now, some say yes some say no so I'm not convinced but I can't see why it would be harmful when it's fantastic for humans.

Thanks for all your help :offtopic:

Ben

Hi...Glad you found stuff she enjoys , and which is better for her ! :offtopic:

Whole chicken frames(carcases) can be bought at supermarkets... don't need to be minced.

I'm not convinced but I can't see why it would be harmful when it's fantastic for humans.

:cry: because she's a DOG, not a human, and dogs metabolise things far differently to humans.

There are quite a few foods/substances which humans can safely take, but not dogs.

Good lord!! Cooking?? What on earth is wrong with premium dog food and bones??? Scientists work around the clock to make premium dog food highly nutritious and dogs have been eating bones forever.

What's wrong with it, stuff prepared in tins and rolls have loads of bad food in it. I cook the veg the rest is added raw, I find it's going to be cheaper and healthier for my dog and that's my opinion shared with a lot others I feel.

You have your own opinion and I respect that to.

Cheers

Ben

Good lord!! Cooking?? What on earth is wrong with premium dog food and bones??? Scientists work around the clock to make premium dog food highly nutritious and dogs have been eating bones forever.

What's wrong with it, stuff prepared in tins and rolls have loads of bad food in it. I cook the veg the rest is added raw, I find it's going to be cheaper and healthier for my dog and that's my opinion shared with a lot others I feel.

You have your own opinion and I respect that to.

Cheers

Ben

Please take the time to read my post properly. I said PREMIUM dog food. I have no problem with what you feed your dog. Just giving my opinion as everyone else does. Thanks.

You'll find feeding raw food is most expensive when you start off and stock your freezer. :thumbsup: Then, once you've enough food to 'get by', you can be more choosey in what you pay. I personally pay <$4 a kg for food for my dogs. Whenever I go to the supermarket, I check the meat section (I'm vegetarian so this was a bit of a learning curve!) and I pretty much just look for the sticky labels saying they're cheap!

Chicken wings and drumsticks are, at 'normal price', about $3.70 or so a kilo.

I've recently found my pet shop has a good variety of bits and pieces, most <$4 a kilo (most of the expensive stuff is kangaroo!).

My aunty also works near a butcher shop, and will message me when things are going out for cheap there!

My dogs mostly get chicken. I'd like more variety, but I'm not the richest person. :laugh: They do get some lamb (often goes for cheap at 'Foodland') and some beef (not a bad price at the pet shop), and they mostly get mammal organs (beef hearts, sheep kidneys, beef liver, sheep liver, etc) instead of chicken organs.