Puppy Poop

can you train puppy to poop in one place in the backyard we have a large back yard and i am sick of scouring it in the rain to find poop thanks

Hi,

You certainly can.. Our girl is 11 months and poops down the utility side of the house on the gravel as there was no way I was going to be searching for poop in the grass..

What we did when she was a pup we would figure out when she needed to go (after meals etc) as she did the sniffing around thing then we lead her down where we wanted her to go and as she was going we repeated 'toilet' command.. or a word similar. Once she went we praised her like she just laid gold!! Now she will wee on command to 'toilet' also.. Usefuls for before she gets in the car.

It took lots of catching her in the act and saying 'ahhh ahh' then leading her as she was pooping to her destination but you have to be consistent. You wont catch every one but its worth it!

Once I caught her sniffing the grass once then i tapped the window, she saw me looking so she trotted off down the side of the house.. quite amusing..

just pick a spot in your yard and lead pup to go there and give heaps of praise , even a treat when pup goes....

Edited by charli73

can you train puppy to poop in one place in the backyard we have a large back yard and i am sick of scouring it in the rain to find poop thanks

Yea, but it's not as much fun as walking around trying to find it all and then your OH says did you get it all? and then he mows the lawn and he steps in one that was hiding :provoke:

Yea, but it's not as much fun as walking around trying to find it all and then your OH says did you get it all? and then he mows the lawn and he steps in one that was hiding :hug:

ROFL OH refuses to pic up poop he thinks its my job so i left a small one in the yard just befor i mowed and he didnt like the boots being covered so now he helps (some times)

thanks charli ill give it a go

Rainy,

Just make sure you cordon off an area or mark one out, just one corner of the grassy area may be a bit hard to train pup to understand the boundary if its a large space, like a garden bed or side of he house...

We dont have much grass these days and OH says he is close to throwing up with the smell of poop. (such a bad excuse) but not game to leave one behind... :hug:

In my job I work with pups everyday. The easiest way we have found to teach them to toilet in a designated area is:

1. Decide the spot you woulds like the dog to toilet.

2. Attach a treat jar onto the fence at the area you wish them to toilet.

3. Take the pup to the area on lead and give him a toilet command.

4. When he toilets give him a treat out of the jar and give lots of praise.

The pup will learn to go to this spot as when it goes to the toilet a treat is given. Gradually reduce the treats.

It is a bit time consuming at first but as long as everyone in the house does it the same way it will work out well.

I found this in a book from America. I wasn't convinced it would work but some of our puppy carers have found it work very well

Karen

How would you teach this if you're only trying to teach the change of position after months/years of doing poop wherever they want?

Good question. any suggestions? I d be interested too. Not just a young pup, what about an older pup too, 18 months old? Is this a lost cause?

How would you teach this if you're only trying to teach the change of position after months/years of doing poop wherever they want?

Good question. any suggestions? I d be interested too. Not just a young pup, what about an older pup too, 18 months old? Is this a lost cause?

I think the idea of a treat jar on the fence that I suugested above would work with an older dog if they food driven. Just make sure the treats are different to their normal food ie liver.

It may work