Rotti Behaviour Problems

shedogg

Hi all. I have two 6 month old desexed rotti pups, one male and one female. They are both very sweet, affectionate and obedient. Although over the past month the male has started to mouth us. It's usually after he's been playing and running around. I'm looking for all kinds of advice that can help us overcome this problem.

Why is the mouthing issue a problem for you ? Have you had puppies before?

This sounds about normal for most dogs. What training are you giving them? If you go to the Training forum you will see some helpful training under teh ' NILIF and "'Triangle of Temptation' threads.

Two puppies will be a handful, what do you want to happen for the future for these dogs and your life together?

:D I understand this is common for most dogs although it is a sign of dominance, which is why it is a problem. He is a rescue dog who was suffering from malnutrition, a severe flea allergy and was abused. I have had puppies before and are actually looking for alternatives rather than the usual way of dealing with this problem. :D

Shedoqq, the dominance label is way over used.Dogs, pups are predators of course and feel whole when expressing prey drive.Pups explore and make sense of their world by biting,jumping.pouncing,wrestling,grabbing and so on.

When a Pup is attracted to somebody or something whilst in drive, its natural for him or her to want to bite or mouth.Rather than teach the pup he has to stifle or surpress his drive,I would redirect him onto something else and praise him for changing attractions.

Dogs will keep a behaviour going if it feels good and stop if it feels bad. Tony

We have been told to grab his muzzle and don't really like the idea but growling at him, making a yelping sound or just firmly saying no doesn't work. He is very obedient other than when it comes to this problem.

and therein lies the problem :D

A spoilt 50 kilos plus Rottweiler (obviously not that size yet) will more than likely have issues with leadership. IMO your first step in putting an end to this would be booting the dogs on to the floor. They should have their own beds.

In saying that, I do occasionally let my dogs on the lounge but it's at my say so and I wouldn't do it if I was having training issues with them.

It's fab that they're a part of your family, but unfortunately dogs don't think like us so they do, for the most part, need to be treated like canines.

Clyde..... you may be right :D However they do have their own beds they just prefer the lounge. I will though have to start making them sleep on their own beds, they're growing quickly and we're running out of room :D

Edited by shedogg

You could just get another lounge :cheer:

Rotties don't really deserve to be cast to the ground :D

(but in seriousness - in this instance they should be.)

Do you think he sees you as the leader? Over the next twelve months he will be trying to flex his muscle - don't you just love teenagers :D

Hi Shedog,

Same problem with our GSD 11 months old, trying EVERYTHING to dominate me, not hubby, just me.. Were using the NILIF (nothing in life is free) methods and its working a treat but you can certainly tell when you slacken off and start to play/pat too much without them working for it as she will start to push the boundaries again..

When Zoe bites us or growls then we hold her muzzle and growl back then release when shes quiet and ignore for 5 mins and she has learnt not to bite. Simple mouthing we just hold her tongue down with our thumb and she learnt pretty quick not to mouth us..

Each dog is different, good luck!