Flaxseed Oil

I have changed my dogs from fish oil capsules to flaxseed oil but I am not sure how much I should be giving them. They weigh from 18kg to 25kg. Can someone please let me know the amount I should give them?

My kelpie, 20kg, gets 5ml daily to support a compromised immune system. He has pemphigus, which is akin to lupus. When he is on steroids he gets 10ml per day to help combat the nasty side of the steroids. The advantage of flax seed oil over fish oils is there is no danger of overdosing on vitamin A.

Flax seed oil and Linseed oil are the same product.

Just remember the Missing Link was taken off the market because

of the amount of Linseed in it.

It was linked to bitches having very small litters or not conceiving at all.

Of course people may have exceeded the dose rate and caused their

own problems. But I am sure it would have not been removed from

the market without due concern.

'The advantage of flax seed oil over fish oils is there is no danger of overdosing on vitamin A.'

Fish oil is different from cod liver oil which is much higher in vitamins A and D. Fish oil does not target the liver as source. Fish oils ain't all equal in quality (thinking contaminants) and if I gave it regularly I'd be looking harder into what was the 'cleanest' brand. But overdosing on a good fish oil shouldn't be a concern.

Out of "A Handbook of Natural therapies for Dogs" by Dr Barbara Fougere.

Flax seed oil

Flax seed or linseed oil is very high in omega 3 fatty acids (58 %) and is also high in lignans that have anti-cancer properties as well as antibacterial, antiviral and antifubgal properties. It may be benificial in a number of disoders including heart disease, stroke, arthritis, eczema, behavioural disorders, allergies, immune problems, kidney disease, obesity and sone forms of cancer.

Dose.

Flaxseed oil should not be the sole fatty acis supplement but used in rotation with other oils.

Small dog 1/2 to 1 teaspoon daily

Medium dog 1 to 2 teaspoons daily

Large dog 1 dessertspoon to 1 tablespoon daily

Doses can be increased under supervision of a vet.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Out of "A Handbook of Natural therapies for Dogs" by Dr Barbara Fougere.

Flax seed oil

Flax seed or linseed oil is very high in omega 3 fatty acids (58 %) and is also high in lignans that have anti-cancer properties as well as antibacterial, antiviral and antifubgal properties. It may be benificial in a number of disoders including heart disease, stroke, arthritis, eczema, behavioural disorders, allergies, immune problems, kidney disease, obesity and sone forms of cancer.

Dose.

Flaxseed oil should not be the sole fatty acis supplement but used in rotation with other oils.

Small dog 1/2 to 1 teaspoon daily

Medium dog 1 to 2 teaspoons daily

Large dog 1 dessertspoon to 1 tablespoon daily

Doses can be increased under supervision of a vet.

Hope this is helpful to you.

So :rolleyes: , but how is Tara's "boyfriend" going after his massage on Thursday ?? He looked rather good to me as he trotted up the road. PM me. I only stumbled in here by accident :laugh: