7.5 Month Old Bitch Started Peeing Inside Again

Leema

Clover hasn't toiletted inside for 3-4 months. In the last 24 hours she's peed inside 4 times, only one I caught in the act. In this 'act' I caught, she did squat. It wasn't just a 'leak'.

I am wondering if she's just testing the rules and being a pain, or if she may have some underlying medical reason...

Most random is that she urinated on the bed, and she's never done this, even when she wasn't toilet trained. I was always 'safe' to sleep with her on my bed and not worry. Last night I woke up to wet legs.

She is not desexed and has not had her first season yet, but I cannot see any other signs of her coming in heat and I don't think random large urinations around the house are necessarily a sign? However, this is my first bitch and perhaps I'm missing something... :laugh:

Regardless, she is now on constant surveillance around the house, and is being put outside regularly to toilet. I'm just looking for any input or suggestions on this change.

Nothing has changed around the house, and all urinations have occurred in different places which have all been well cleaned with vinegar.

It sounds as though she's building up to her first season; inappropriate weeing has often been noticed at this time. But it's worth getting a sample of her urine tested to make sure she doesn't have an infection.

Out of curiosity - what causes urinary tract infections in dogs?

It can be a few things. In our case we think it had a couple of factors. Noodle doesn't like to wee when she is out and the first time she developed a UTI was after her first visit to the groomers. Whether she held on too long? This combined with the size of the dog. She was only about 3kg at the time and our vet said that because in little girl dogs the vulva and anus are reasonably close there can be a transfer of bacteria. Sometimes it is just the anatomy of the dog. So, in our case she is on cranberry supplements and natural yoghurt daily - so far so good. She has been fine for about 6 weeks now. As she grows the risk may reduce? Our vet has also talked with us about letting her have a season before she is speyed as he says this can help the anatomy develop better and decrease the risk. Much more common in girl dogs than boys I believe.

Trish :love:

Definately worth getting her tested for UTI, but my first thought was her age and marking. She is a teenager and may be marking everything as hers - including her bed. And she may well be coming in season soon, at this age. Males are not the only ones who mark territory.

How do you get a wee sample from a dog?????????????????????

You take them outside and wait for them to go to the toilet and then place a container underneath to catch the wee.

How do you get a wee sample from a dog?????????????????????

You take them outside and wait for them to go to the toilet and then place a container underneath to catch the wee.

an old saucepan is good cause it has a handle for easy reaching.

its very helpful if you teach your dog a command to go pee too!

I agree with badboyz. First thing they do with hitting adolesence is start peeing inside again. My little girl did the same thing at that age - I made the mistake of leaving my bedroom door open one day & that night got quite a shock when I lay my head on my pillow! :( I'ld start confining the areas she is allowed in, reinforce where she is to go to the toilet and make sure you remove the urine scent. Back to toilet training basics. Fortunately the marking phase doesn't last the whole of the adolescence, usually.

Out of curiosity - what causes urinary tract infections in dogs?

It can be a few things. In our case we think it had a couple of factors. Noodle doesn't like to wee when she is out and the first time she developed a UTI was after her first visit to the groomers. Whether she held on too long? This combined with the size of the dog. She was only about 3kg at the time and our vet said that because in little girl dogs the vulva and anus are reasonably close there can be a transfer of bacteria. Sometimes it is just the anatomy of the dog. So, in our case she is on cranberry supplements and natural yoghurt daily - so far so good. She has been fine for about 6 weeks now. As she grows the risk may reduce? Our vet has also talked with us about letting her have a season before she is speyed as he says this can help the anatomy develop better and decrease the risk. Much more common in girl dogs than boys I believe.

Trish :cool:

What did the vet give you for the UTI for Noodle? Any medication or just teh cranberry and yoghurt? I am starting to think this is what my Noodle has ... gotta work out how to get the urine sample now and put it in what :( ... hunting through cupboard for empty vegemite jar ... not using the Tupperware for that task! :laugh:

What did the vet give you for the UTI for Noodle? Any medication or just teh cranberry and yoghurt? I am starting to think this is what my Noodle has ... gotta work out how to get the urine sample now and put it in what :( ... hunting through cupboard for empty vegemite jar ... not using the Tupperware for that task! :laugh:

Hi NoodleNut!

These Noodle's are trouble!! If it is a UTI she will need antibiotics. Noodle had 2 courses. The cranberry and yoghurt is a preventative measure not a treatment. Although, she did seem to be starting to pee a lot again a few weeks ago so I gave her a couple of extra doses of cranberry and that did seem to stop it. So, maybe if it is caught really early it may help.

Goodluck catching some wee!! Put her on lead and follow her around with a container - a frying pan is said to work well as it is flat and has a handle!!

Trish :cool:

Edited by trishalouise