Behaviour Problem?

I need some help. I have a dog who is agressive. She is constantly attacking the other smaller dog and in the last 4 days has made him bleed, last nights efford resulted in a vet trip this morning.

She wont come when called, distroies/eats anything and everything (she ate a citronella wax candle). If she gets out she goes and is a bugger to catch.

I wont walk her as i am worried that she will get off and attack another dog, we cant have children in the back yard as she will go them. She runs up and down the fence when the kids next door are there and riding there electric scooter.

I just dont know what to do anymore. My partner wont let the dog go, says if one goes they both go.

Advice greatly needed

Em

Edited by EmyLou

Wow thats one amazing first post.

You have a dog that has exhibited aggression to other animals and (apparently) children, and is not showing respect to you (is ignoring your commands).

You need professional help with this dog.

Online diagnosis or treatment plans for this dog and your household will likely end in disaster.

If you state where you live, people should be able to recommend a behaviouralist for you.

Yes, you do need some help :love:

IMO you need a professional behaviourist to assess your situation - internet forums are not the ideal place to sort out serious dog aggression issues. Let us know what area you live and perhaps someone can recommend one in your area.

ETA: Snap Dogs4Fun!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

IMO you need a professional behaviourist to assess your situation - internet forums are not the ideal place to sort out serious dog aggression issues. Let us know what area you live and perhaps someone can recommend one in your area.

*nods*

I am in Bathurst NSW. Are behaviourist expencive as i dont have alot of money. The vet i went to this morning suggested Bark Busters?

Em

Bark Busters? IMHO No. Hang about - there will be a suggestion soon I'm sure. Not cheap I'm afraid but if the dog attacks another animal or human, the consequences are bound to be fairly dire :love:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I wouldn't recommend any of the franchises (Bark Busters is a franchise) as they're only as good as the franchisee. Some may be good trainers and some will have little or no real experience with dogs and may only have attended a short training course. Also most franchises adopt a 'one size fits all' approach and pay little regard to the fact that all dogs are individuals and may react differently to their training methods.

You really need a behaviourist/trainer and I would recommend Steve Courtney from K9 Force who is a member of this forum. Yes it will cost you money, but if you want to keep your dogs unfortunately you have little choice.

you need professional help for sure, hopefully someone on here can suggest someone close to your area. Just wondering what sort of dogs they are, if they are big small meduim?

I would like to try something before it resorts in having her pts. We are lucky it was our dog that she attacked not someome elses or a child.

Em

Em, sorry if this sounds personal - but how willing is your partner to do anything about the dog's aggression? Does he even acknowledge there is a problem? It's just that there is unlikely to be a "quick fix" and management/re-training will take a big commitment from BOTH of you.

I wish you all the best :hug:

She is a Pei x Dingo/mastif thing. Jack is a Jack russell x Foxie.

He does know there is a problem. He thinks a dog is a dog and thats it. i have known since i got her she will be a handfull and he wouldnt hear of it.

Em

I am in Bathurst NSW. Are behaviourist expencive as i dont have alot of money. The vet i went to this morning suggested Bark Busters?

Em

To fix these kinds of issues you are looking at a long term commitment in terms of time and effort AND some expenditure on professional advice.

If you don't think you're up for it, then as the owner of a dog and people aggressive dog, I'm afraid there's only one responsible course of action.

How old is the dog and how long have you had her. Severe behavioural issues don't tend to develop overnight.

We have had her for a year. She lived with my partner for almost her first year and now we live together she is with us.

How often does she get out for a walk or do any kind of training? How old is she? How old and what sex is the other dog?

She is just over a year old. The other is 4 years old and is a desexed male. I will not walk her as i am worried that she will get away. Having said that i have taught her to walk on the lead and she does it will but only if there are no dogs/cats etc.

Training wise she can sit thats all i have been able to do.

She is just over a year old. The other is 4 years old and is a desexed male. I will not walk her as i am worried that she will get away. Having said that i have taught her to walk on the lead and she does it will but only if there are no dogs/cats etc.

Training wise she can sit thats all i have been able to do.

Get a professional assessment - you've got so many issues in this mix. In the meantime find a way to separate the two dogs or you may end up with a death on your hands.

I expect part of what you are seeing is lack of training. No dog comes reliably when called unless trained to. The destructiveness is probably partly generated by boredom caused by lack of physical and mental stimulation.

You really do need to see someone about this dog now. Has she actually bitten anyone or do you just think she will?

Is she desexed?

Does your partner walk her?

She sounds like a typical bored dog that needs mental stimulation.

She needs a strong leader and you need a good trainer, and than all can be achieved providing you put some time and work in. And its quite fun training your dog, not to mention very rewarding when the dogs learns something.

*snap* PF

Edited by Monelite

Yes she is desexed and no he dont walk her. She has put her mouth around my hands a few times but not bitten. We have spent time playing with her etc but its like something snaps and she turns on the other dog. We have a large yard and she is constantly running around and playing with her pot or sticks she finds.

Are you sure about the dingo? Dingoes are not like normal dogs, IMHO. They have prey drive to spare. When they're in the zone, they'll kill everything that runs from them, including small dogs in some cases. They're also naturally wary and from what I know of similar dogs (e.g. Canaan Dog) it's possible they might go through a fear period at around this age where they attack a lot of things out of fear.

Anyway, it's impossible to say what's going on without seeing the dog. Sounds like you have big problems.