Dog's Drive

Can someone explain in simple terms what a dog's drive is ? I've been told my dog has very high drive and i've heard some breeds have a high prey drive. After reading the other thread about a workshop in drive, what exactly does an owner/dog do at a workshop about drive ? :thumbsup:

In simple terms, Drive is used to describe a mix of chemical reactions going on in the dogs head that "drives" him, or motivates him to perform a task, in order to satisfy his desires.

Using these desires to your advantage in training is refered to as "drive training"

Rotty,Prey drive is the very essence of a Dog.Prey drive is instinctual.

What does an Owner do with Prey Drive?Firstly make sure not to surpress it and use it to our greatest advantage by training the dog in drive.Training a dog in drive is totally natural to a dog, as a Dog lives to express drive and feels whole when drive is flowing.

Prey Drive is more complex than many think.Many see prey drive as just the act of a dog chasing or grasping a prey item.Prey drive determines the dogs position in a pack.The less uninhibited a Dogs drive is the higher up the pack he will be.

Prey drive is at the core of dogs behaviour in many ways and not just chasing a prey item.Behaviour such as being able to pick a Human who just does not seem right for example is the same aspect of Prey Drive that allows dogs to pick out a sick,injured or old Prey animal.Prey Drive allows a Dog to know when we are approaching home.Prey drive see's pups racing around the House with socks and clothing.

Many who surpress a Dog when he goes to express drive,only teach him resistance and avoidance.A Dog who learns he must surpress drive, soon works out its not safe to express drive around the owner as he gets shut down.This teaches him that inorder to express drive he must get away from the owner.

Having to surpress drive for a dog is stressful and the stress accumulates within the Dog,until the dog can express drive and reduce stress.Many Dogs mistakenly put down as having been physically abused are Dogs that have had to surpress Drive. Tony

So when I go shopping for lunch and I am hungry and give in to all the marketting and buy far more than any human should eat in one sitting, should that be called "shopping in drive" :thumbsup::laugh::laugh:

??? called KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

That works best for me and my lot.

So when I go shopping for lunch and I am hungry and give in to all the marketting and buy far more than any human should eat in one sitting, should that be called "shopping in drive" :thumbsup::laugh::laugh:

??? called KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

That works best for me and my lot.

RottieLover,

May I add Dogs do what work for them.

There are 4 kinds of consequence:

(1) Positive reinforcement

(2) Negative punishment

(3) Positive punishment

(4) Negative reinforement

All thse consequences must be IMMEDIATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tatooed on my wrist.

The good and bad consequences will end up being associated with other THINGS present at the momemnt of a consequence (thus generalise).

Dogs are experts at reading the enviroment and our behaviour!!!!!!!!

That's it. Happy training all.

One behaviour at a time!!!!!!!!!!

Having to surpress drive for a dog is stressful and the stress accumulates within the Dog,until the dog can express drive and reduce stress.Many Dogs mistakenly put down as having been physically abused are Dogs that have had to surpress Drive. Tony

In your experience Tony, did you find these adult dogs were-- as puppies ......what some considered difficult?

Hardwired to chase, active, fearless etc. Those are the ones obedience, retriever, customs, quarantine, S & R and alike, love.

Lablover,in my experience the Dogs I saw all had varying degrees of drive and were not considered difficult as pups.

The sad part about much dog breeding nowdays is that many lines or breeds have through breeding only for physical attributes,have lost much of their drive.

The paradox is I have met some People who thought their Dogs had a high level of drive.Upon showing them a Dog I had who really did have high drive,these people thought my dog was abnormal.The truth is though that these People had continually had Dogs with low drive,so to them low drive was normal.

I in my experience found of course the degree of prey drive present within a dog relates to how well he or she does their breed specific task or role.

I now as an Adult understand why the old Grandfather used to say never ever use a dog in breeding program unless it has worked and is proven.Working and being proven before breeding insured that only dogs of decent or good drive level were bred,thus maintaining a high standard within the said breed.

Sadly it is a huge fallacy nowdays that just because a dog meets his breed specific standard, he will automatically be able to carry out his breeds role. Tony

In your experience Tony, did you find these adult dogs were-- as puppies ......what some considered difficult?

Hi LL.

If I could voice my belief on this, I would say Yes in some cases! Regardless of breed, many (of course not all!) of the dogs sitting in pounds are there due to their "high drive" personalities. They are difficult to handle, always busy minded and get into everything. These dogs become bored very quickly and due to this cause havoc in the family home. I believe that most of these dogs never receive any form of drive satisfaction which, as we all know, needs an outlet somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...