Need Help Regarding Ticks Please

Hi all,

I am sure that this topic has been covered before, but I could use some help as I have just moved to an area that has ticks.

Currently I am using Frontline plus once a month on the dogs and am bathing them in Fido's Tick and flea wash, however I am still pulling ticks of the dogs.

Could it be that I am lessening the effect of the frontline with the tick wash/ and or regular bathing during the month?

All help appreciated, Cheers

edited for spelling

Edited by rosegold

Hi there,

I moved to cairns in janurary and the vets all recommended advantix bimonthly. My vet stated that frontline was basically useless (as that was what i was using) I also use the proban tablets and the vets also recommended a fortnightly wash but i cant remember the name of it sorry. I havnt found a tick on them yet and we walk in grassland and swampy areas daily!!

I now use Advantix monthly and a product called Permoxin weekly. The permoxin is sold as a concentrate and lasts quite a long time.

ahh yes that is what it is called. I had my dogs skin tested first, again on my vets recommendation, and it works well.

I had been using Advantix for 2 months and was getting ticks so swapped to Frontline Plus only to find I have the same problem.

Just googled Permoxin and this sounds like it could help.

Can anyone advise on this - does this mean 40 parts Metho as a rapid drying spray????

DIRECTIONS FOR USE

Dilute to 1:40 (as directed by label) in water, or methylated spirits if a rapid drying spray is required. Spray or rinse as directed.

I used to live in the southeast asia. What I learnt in controlling ticks in the extremely hot & humid climate is to always ensure that ticks are often "bombed" away in the house. We use products such as "Tick Bombs" and various types of tick controlling products for our homes. Just make sure that you evacuate your animals before you start the war with ticks. Besides using frontline on dogs, I have come to realise that eliminating ticks in the house is also very important.

Ticks are known to live without a host for up to 6mths and they can hide almost anywhere in our homes! I also wash my pet beddings in diluted bleach every week. Call me paranoid but I "bomb" my house almost once in 3 months (and I send my dog to stay with his grandparents for that!). Even so, I was told recently by the vet that my dog had tested positive for E canis (even though he is totally healthy now).

We were finding ticks on the dogs every day until we used a Bayer Killtix collar. After that we found one tick, and it was dead.

I use these too with good results, they last for about 6 weeks but I sometimes replace them sooner, they also help with fleas as well.

If you take your dog swimming be extra careful for the next 24 hours, the Killtix powder can be weakened with a wash and a towell rub.

Advantix fortnightly can be used as well.

Even with protection a daily check is advised, especially if there are Paralysis Ticks around.

Talk to everyone you can in your area, each different Vet practice and all the people at the dog park to get an idea of what might be good to do in your area.

I had been using Advantix for 2 months and was getting ticks so swapped to Frontline Plus only to find I have the same problem.

Just googled Permoxin and this sounds like it could help.

Can anyone advise on this - does this mean 40 parts Metho as a rapid drying spray????

DIRECTIONS FOR USE

Dilute to 1:40 (as directed by label) in water, or methylated spirits if a rapid drying spray is required. Spray or rinse as directed.

Yes. It's 10ml of Permoxin added to 400ml of Methylated spirits for rapid drying. I've not used Methylated spirits. I make the mix with water as I use it on our horses and cows and it would cost me a fortune in Metho :thumbsup:

We moved to QLD from NZ in 2005. Heebeejeebies such as ticks, cane toads, heartworm were alien to us :thumbsup:

At the advice of out vet clinic we started them on preventic collars and then during high tick season we use Advantix applied every two weeks.

We have yet to see a tick on the dogs, touch wood.

We purchase from:

http://www.pricelesspets.com.au/