Alternative To Chiro Needed

My 10 year old Kelpie had chiro last week on her back and the pain seemed to be gone for 24 hours. The pain is now back again and i called the chiro who said that her back may have been out for sometime and that sometimes the manipulations don't hold and they pop back out. She cannot say whether a second round of chiro will hold or not. I would have to pay full price again even though the pain only disappeared for 24 hours max, which im not too happy about. I don't want to go having the chiro done again if it wont hold. Any suggestions as to different treatment I can undertake to help? Could Bowen be effective? My vet also suggested acupuncture, but I don't see how this would help?????

Chiro's good but it's not a miracle. When I took myself to see one with a long standing neck issues, it took about 4 weeks of visits twice a week and deep tissue massage to stop the bones returning to their old (out) position.

Muscles and ligaments adjust over time to hold bones in incorrect positions. One adjustment would not be enough to stop them pulling the dog's back out again. Fortunately, dogs do seem to need less adjustment than we do.

At her age, I'd expect a few adustments and some good massage before getting a lasting improvement. I honestly can't think of anything that will produce a lasting result in one go. :( If this has been a long standing issue, you are lucky that it could be adjusted. My chiro says he sees a lot of dogs with spondylosis that simply cannot be adjusted - they are too far gone.

My older dogs are adjusted monthly. :)

Edited by poodlefan

My 10 year old Kelpie had chiro last week on her back and the pain seemed to be gone for 24 hours. The pain is now back again and i called the chiro who said that her back may have been out for sometime and that sometimes the manipulations don't hold and they pop back out. She cannot say whether a second round of chiro will hold or not. I would have to pay full price again even though the pain only disappeared for 24 hours max, which im not too happy about. I don't want to go having the chiro done again if it wont hold. Any suggestions as to different treatment I can undertake to help? Could Bowen be effective? My vet also suggested acupuncture, but I don't see how this would help?????

Where abouts in vic are you?

I have been seeing kate Haines and have found her wonderful

She is in Morwell

My thoughts were running along a similar line to PF. Even with a young dog, I found I had to do a fair bit of massage (which the chiro showed me) to get the full benefit of the manipulation. The last 2 visits by the chiro were a lot less "dramatic" than the first one!

I'm South East Vic IHF, thanks anyway.

Sounds like it's pretty standard to have a few sessions to get it right then, I just dont want to waste the money if there is something else I could be doing that would be more beneficial.....

Trifecta, my pup is having Bowen done on Saturday, i will give her a call and see what she says, maybe a mixture of both would be beneficial?

Her back hasn't been out for that long, I didn't even know it was out until I took her to the vet because she was licking her chest.

So does it hold better the more you do it? I have never had chiro myself so would have no idea.

So does it hold better the more you do it? I have never had chiro myself so would have no idea.

On the youngsters, yep. On the oldsters, less so IMO. I suppose like us, they just get crumblier. If it's only a recent thing though, it should definitely get better.

My bet is, a couple of sessions of Bowen & you won't need a chiropractor :hug:

Is your Bowen therapist Bowtech trained?

I have no idea, what does that mean? Saturday will be our first session....

She is very highly regarded though.

My bet is, a couple of sessions of Bowen & you won't need a chiropractor :hug:

I have no idea, what does that mean? Saturday will be our first session....

She is very highly regarded though.

There are various versions of Bowen, but Bowtech is closest to the original technique devised by Tom Bowen. The small animal branch of Bowtech is known as CCmrt (Cat & Canine Muscle Release Therapy).

I can now answer that, and yes she is. Had our first session today, both dogs are now sleeping away. It was The Mitchell Method that was used. Will have another session in about a week. I am also starting her on Green Lip Muscle extract as per Bowen Therapist's advice :rolleyes:

I can now answer that, and yes she is. Had our first session today, both dogs are now sleeping away. It was The Mitchell Method that was used. Will have another session in about a week. I am also starting her on Green Lip Muscle extract as per Bowen Therapist's advice ;)

Bowen has that effect on me too....promotes deep, relaxing sleep :rolleyes:

When the problem is chronic it often takes a few treatments to get it to hold. I know personally if I ignore my pain for too long and then have it treated I usually require two treatments a week apart rather than the usual single treatment.