Detering Stich Licking...

Jonty was desexed on Monday. I have been home with him since then, so have been able to keep an eye on him and deter him from licking his stitches and also from running around or playing rough with Lulu.

He's been pretty good, but occasionally sneaks around that area whilst cleaning himself. He doesn't seem to be too worried by them.

At night I put his elizabethan collar on, which is a PITA for everyone concerned, but at least he can't reach his wound.

I have to go back to work on Monday and am a little worried about leaving him in the EC in the backyard with Lulu unsupervised. I'm pretty sure she could just pull it off his head and it'll probably end up chewed up then. I'm also sure that he wouldn't be able to get into his kennel (which is his favourite place if it rains) or around certain areas of the yard (he might get stuck or something :rolleyes: ).

He should get them removed on Thursday, so need to do something Monday to Wednesday whilst I'm at work.

Is there something I can put on / around the area the deter licking???? The wound seems like it's healing okay, and it will have been 7 days since the surgery.

Most vets sell some sprays to deter licking wounds. One I know of is called "Wound Guard". Just has a very bitter taste to it.

I wouldn't recommend leaving him in the backyard with the e collar on, for the reasons you mentioned. If you have to leave it on, could he stay in the laundry for the day? I think it would be a little safer.

A little lick here and there won't cause a problem at all. The wound will be mostly healed by now too. It's just if he licks it all day he may cause some issues.

:rolleyes:

Thanks Sir WJ

Our laundry really isn't suitable for him, mainly as it's the cats area and she would be mighty peed off.

We actually used to leave him in our spare bathroom when he was little, however OH only just got round to fixing up the scratched walls in there, so I don't think he'd be too happy for me to leave him in there again ;)

I'm pretty sure they spend most of the day asleep, with the odd little tussle every now and then, so this Wound Guard product should be okay....

Cheers :rolleyes:

Our vet said not to leave the collar on when he's home alone because apparently they can't drink properly with it on - Bakari couldn't when we were trying to get him to stop pulling the bandages off his tail.

He went to work with Russ but ended up having to be taken to mum & dad's when the sedative wore off because he was bailing people up in the shop :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, didn't think about eating or drinkin - doh! He's happy enough to have it on to sleep with, but walks around like the most unloved creature on earth or some weird cross between a dog and a vacuum as he refuses to lift his head up with it on :rolleyes:

I can't believe how huge the EC is... I reckon he must be picking up a couple of extra channels with that on ;)

I don't think work would be too impressed if I bought him in for three days, even though he would probably snooze under my desk and may stop people coming in and annoying me with stupid question :laugh:

Try a product called 'Ban Itch' it will actually lightly numb the area so it won't be as noticible to him (itching means it's healing...lol) and it's also a licking deterant as it tastes damn awful!! It's great stuff...i use it on myself on mozzie bites and when i've got contact allergies to take the itch/sting out of the spots etc.

Um have never heard of dogs not being able to eat or drink properly with an elizabethan collar on. I have had 3 dogs that have worn one for over two weeks and they did just fine.

The wound should be pretty healed by Monday so wouldn't worry to much about him doing much damage. I would be inclined to leave the collar on him. He will find a way to get into his kennel with it on don't worry.

Do you have a neighbour or a friend that could check up on him during the day whilst you are at work?

IT was suggested to me to put vicks vapor rub NEXT to the wound - about a cm away either side.

THey dont like the smell so dont lick the area.

I used it with Hunta and had no advers reactions on her skin or her licking the area.

Um have never heard of dogs not being able to eat or drink properly with an elizabethan collar on. I have had 3 dogs that have worn one for over two weeks and they did just fine.

The wound should be pretty healed by Monday so wouldn't worry to much about him doing much damage. I would be inclined to leave the collar on him. He will find a way to get into his kennel with it on don't worry.

Do you have a neighbour or a friend that could check up on him during the day whilst you are at work?

I don't think he could... it is huge and definitely wider than the entrance to his kennel. He could probably figure it out. He definitely can't drink with it on.

I don't even like leaving normal collars on them unsupervised and it wouldn't last two seconds with Lulu anyway (mmmmm plastic) :thumbsup:

I can come home at lunch-time and check up on them as I'm not too far away :rolleyes:

I don't think the stiches are bothering him, he just really wants to clean that area and I won't let him (evil mummy aren't I :rolleyes: ).

I got some Chew Stop, if that doesn't work, I'll try the vicks thanks i haz flava :thumbsup:

Ohhh be carefull with the Vicks if it gets on the stitch area it would sting.

Sounds like Jonty's elizabethan collar is to big for him. Dogs should be able to eat and drink with them on.

And as for getting into kennels I had a little pug rescue girl I was fostering who slept in a kennel at her original owners house. The day after she arrived she had major eye surgery and had to wear an elizabethan collar. Because I don't have dogs sleeping outside and I wanted her to have something familiar I washed her kennel and had it in my tv room for when I bought her home from the surgery. She sure enough managed to get her drugged out self and her elizabethan collar into the kennel, the opening wasn't that big, and turn herself around and was happy as larry. :thumbsup:

Oh, I'll be careful with what I put on it... I'm sure it must be a sensitive area :D

In the end, work has let me have some more time off, so I can keep an eye on the little bugger for the next few days :D

If its been 7 days I wouldnt worry to much, some vets one use takes them out at 7 days, so if he does I doubt any harm will be done if it looks healed..

Edited by varicool